1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Am I Doing This Area Problem Correctly?

1. Sep 25, 2010 #1
    Hi there. The book doesn't have an answer in the back for this problem, so I wanted to know if I was setting everything up correctly.

I need to find the area enclosed by r=1-sin(theta) but outside r=1. This is polar by the way. So a nice simple cardioid and circle. I decided to only do half and then double it, because of the symmetry.

Here is the integral I got.
    [tex]
    2*\frac{1}{2}[\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}{(1-sin(\theta))^{2} d\theta} - \int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}{(1)} d\theta}]
    [/tex]

My answer was [tex]\frac{5\pi}{2}+\frac{9}{2}[/tex]. I'm fine with integrating, I'm just wondering if I set it up correctly.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2010 #2
    I am not that good at calculus,but perhaps if you could send me the complete question i might be able to help. Ezim.

4. Sep 25, 2010 #3
    That is the complete question. Find the area enclosed by r=1-sin(theta) but outside r=1.

5. Sep 25, 2010 #4
    you mean there is no diagram or figure?

6. Sep 25, 2010 #5
    Nothing is given. I just drew a quick sketch and checked it on wolfram alpha.

7. Sep 25, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You set-up looks fine, but your final result isn't correct. Check your work.

8. Sep 25, 2010 #7
    Oh...5/2 + pi/4 I guess.

9. Sep 25, 2010 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I get 2+pi/4.

10. Sep 25, 2010 #9
    ...This is getting really silly really fast. Well we established that it's just an algebra issue. I'll work it out later. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  11. Sep 26, 2010 #10
    yes. I solved it with double integral and I got 2+pi/4.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook