Am I Doing This Area Problem Correctly?

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation involved finding the area enclosed by a polar curve and a circle. The person found the integral and calculated an answer of 5pi/2 + 9/2, but was unsure if it was correct. Another person offered to help, but the original person realized their mistake and corrected their answer to 2+pi/4. The conversation ended with the original person planning to rework the problem.
Lancelot59
Hi there. The book doesn't have an answer in the back for this problem, so I wanted to know if I was setting everything up correctly.

I need to find the area enclosed by r=1-sin(theta) but outside r=1. This is polar by the way. So a nice simple cardioid and circle. I decided to only do half and then double it, because of the symmetry.

Here is the integral I got.
[tex]
2*\frac{1}{2}[\int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}{(1-sin(\theta))^{2} d\theta} - \int_{\frac{-\pi}{2}}^{0}{(1)} d\theta}]
[/tex]

My answer was [tex]\frac{5\pi}{2}+\frac{9}{2}[/tex]. I'm fine with integrating, I'm just wondering if I set it up correctly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not that good at calculus,but perhaps if you could send me the complete question i might be able to help. Ezim.

That is the complete question. Find the area enclosed by r=1-sin(theta) but outside r=1.

you mean there is no diagram or figure?

EzimOsai said:
you mean there is no diagram or figure?
Nothing is given. I just drew a quick sketch and checked it on wolfram alpha.

You set-up looks fine, but your final result isn't correct. Check your work.

Oh...5/2 + pi/4 I guess.

I get 2+pi/4.

...This is getting really silly really fast. Well we established that it's just an algebra issue. I'll work it out later. Thanks.

Last edited:
yes. I solved it with double integral and I got 2+pi/4.

1. How do I know if I am using the correct formula for this area problem?

First, make sure you understand the given values and what the question is asking for. Then, check if the formula you are using is specific to the type of shape given in the problem.

2. Why is it important to show all my work when solving an area problem?

Showing your work allows you to identify any mistakes you may have made and correct them. It also helps others, such as your teacher or colleagues, understand your thought process and provide feedback.

3. How can I check if my answer for an area problem is reasonable?

You can estimate the area using mental math or a rough sketch of the shape. This can give you an idea of what the answer should be, and you can then compare it to your calculated answer. If they are significantly different, you may have made a mistake.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on solving an area problem?

Take a step back and review the given information and what the question is asking for. Try to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving area problems?

Yes, some common mistakes include forgetting to convert units, using the wrong formula, and miscalculating. It is also essential to pay attention to the units in the final answer and make sure they are appropriate for the given problem.