Are the Amplitude and Period Calculations Correct for This Tsunami Model?

• Thread starter tennistudof09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Track
In summary, the conversation is about modeling the tsunamis near Hawaii caused by the Chilean earthquake of 1960 using the equation y= 8 sin (pi/6)t, where y is in feet and t is in minutes. The questions asked are: a) find the amplitude and period of the waves and b) If the distance from one crest of the wave to the next was 21 kilometers, what was the velocity of the wave? The amplitude is 8 feet and the period is 12 minutes. To find the velocity, the period needs to be converted to hours, which gives a velocity of 105 km/hr.
tennistudof09
Am i on the right track?

We have this problem for math class:

For an interval of 45 minutes, the tsunamis near Hawaii caused by the chilean earthquake of 1960 could be modeled by the equation y= 8 sin (pi/6)t, where y is in feet and t is in minutes.

a) find the amplitude and period of the waves b) If the distance from one crest of the wave to the next was 21 kilometers, what was the velocity of the wave?

I know the amplitude is 8 and 2pi/ (pi/6) came out to be 12, so I got 12 for the period. For question b, in order to get the velocity, should i just do 21 x (.75)?

Physics news on Phys.org

You should add units to the numbers you found. For example, the amplitude is 8 feet. The period is 12 whats?

If the distance from the crest of one wave to the next is 21 km, that has to relate to the period somehow.

so therefore i would convert 12 minutes into hours, which allows me to get .2 hours. Then since velocity is distance/time, i'd get 21km/.2 hr, and would give me a solution of 105 km/hr. Did I do that correctly?

Looks good to me. The wave crests are 21 km apart, and it's .2 hour between crests, so the wave is traveling at 105 km/hr. Notice that this is a lot different from your first answer, which was 15.75 km/hr.

Related to Are the Amplitude and Period Calculations Correct for This Tsunami Model?

What does it mean to be on the right track?

Being on the right track means that you are following a path or taking steps towards achieving your desired goal or outcome. It can also refer to making progress or staying true to a certain course of action.

How can I tell if I am on the right track?

One way to tell if you are on the right track is to regularly evaluate your progress towards your goal. If you are consistently making progress and moving closer to your desired outcome, then you are likely on the right track. Additionally, seeking feedback from others can also help determine if you are on the right track.

What are some signs that I may not be on the right track?

Some signs that you may not be on the right track include feeling stuck or stagnant, not seeing any progress or improvement, or receiving negative feedback from others. It is important to regularly assess your actions and progress to ensure you are on the right track towards your goal.

How do I know if I need to make changes to get back on the right track?

If you notice any of the signs mentioned above or are not seeing the results you desire, it may be necessary to make changes to your approach or strategy. This could involve seeking advice or guidance from others, reevaluating your goals, or making adjustments to your plan of action.

Can I get back on the right track if I have strayed from it?

Absolutely! It is normal to face challenges and setbacks when working towards a goal. It is important to stay adaptable and open to making changes in order to get back on the right track. This may involve revisiting your initial plan and making adjustments, seeking advice or support from others, or finding new ways to overcome obstacles. Remember, it is never too late to get back on the right track towards your desired outcome.