Stuck in AM Radio Mode: Ranting and Raving on the Airwaves

In summary: I like him.In summary, Michael Savage was a commentator on AM radio who was very critical of Obama. He has made a number of inflammatory statements about Muslims, liberals, and same-sex marriage. His show has been dropped from several sponsors because of these comments.
Cyrus said:
No one's saying talk radio is hate radio. Were saying hate radio, is hate radio.

You don't see the problem with Michael Savage saying things like kids with Autism are being "a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out"?

Not only is this offensive, it shows a total lack of willingness to respect the medical community. Its along the lines of those nut job scientologists saying physcologists are evil. Why you listen to this horse **** amazes me. I tend to filter out the garbage on the TV and radio, not the other way around.

Savage isn't hate radio. What he said isn't hate. It's outrageous but he has a point. He often talks about how kids are diagnosed with acronyms all day long and pumped with meds to make them "behave". Savage is a doctor himself. It's not like he doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't give a damn if he's offensive, and that's what I like about him. He is the antonym to "PC". Him and Mark Levin are the only two I care to listen to.

Physics news on Phys.org
drankin said:
Savage isn't hate radio. What he said isn't hate. It's outrageous but he has a point. He often talks about how kids are diagnosed with acronyms all day long and pumped with meds to make them "behave". Savage is a doctor himself. It's not like he doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't give a damn if he's offensive, and that's what I like about him. He is the antonym to "PC". Him and Mark Levin are the only two I care to listen to.

Savage has a PhD in some field of biology (botany, maybe?) I don't think he has an MD.

I tend to agree that kids are overdiagnosed sometimes, but Savage acts as if autism doesn't exist, which is a ridiculous and irrational response to overdiagnoses.

Personally, I agree with Cyrus that Savage is a nut, along with Hannity and Limbaugh and are only concerned with pulling Obama into the mud. None fo them actually offer any constructive criticism for Obama or start any constructive political discussions.

As an example, a few nights ago a relative of mine was listening to Savage, who was in effect blaming Obama's views on immigration for the Swine Flu outbreaks in America. (Of course he conveniently ignored the fact that vacationing Americans or legalling visiting Mexicans were the sources for the American Swine Flu cases.) No real facts. No constructive criticism or advice for the administration. Just mudslinging.

Last edited:
drankin said:
He often talks about how kids are diagnosed with acronyms all day long and pumped with meds to make them "behave". Savage is a doctor himself. It's not like he doesn't know what he's talking about.
He is generalizing. (It's a shame that's just one word, because it's a bigger crime than it seems. I really want to say overgeneralizing, but that's a duplication of redundancy...)

Just because something looks one way froma 30,000 feet viewpoint, doesn't mean it is that way. I wonder how many kids he's studied in-person to arrive at his conclusions.

I've only studied one, but in depth. My son has ADHD and his functioning is quite markedly different from other kids.

drankin said:
Savage is a doctor himself.
In my opinion, Savage is just a terribly damaged person overcompensating for a past he seems to now be terribly ashamed of.

He used to wear a beret and smoke pot while hanging out at coffee houses in Greenwich Village, during the time he went to school in New York. He got a PhD from that Liberal Left haven - Berkeley - in, get this: Nutritional Ethnomedicine (which has nothing to do with neuroscience, or perhaps even science). He was the gatekeeper for a notorious LSD experimenter. Oh, and yes, his name is Micheal Weiner - Savage is just his pen-name/stage name for his antics. He raves against abortion and calls it murder, but his first wife had two while they were married. His past spells out LIBERAL LEFTY so clearly, that he just can't seem to do enough to run away from it.

So when he responds to a gay caller with "Oh, so you're one of those sodomites. You should only get AIDS and die, you pig; how's that?", he's not really expressing his homophobia (oh, that's not hate, is it?), he is simply projecting a self loathing that he can not seem to get over.

Poor, troubled Michael Weiner.

Gokul43201 said:
In my opinion, Savage is just a terribly damaged person overcompensating for a past he seems to now be terribly ashamed of.

He used to wear a beret and smoke pot while hanging out at coffee houses in Greenwich Village, during the time he went to school in New York. He got a PhD from that Liberal Left haven - Berkeley - in, get this: Nutritional Ethnomedicine (which has nothing to do with neuroscience, or perhaps even science). He was the gatekeeper for a notorious LSD experimenter. Oh, and yes, his name is Micheal Weiner - Savage is just his pen-name/stage name for his antics. He raves against abortion and calls it murder, but his first wife had two while they were married. His past spells out LIBERAL LEFTY so clearly, that he just can't seem to do enough to run away from it.

So when he responds to a gay caller with "Oh, so you're one of those sodomites. You should only get AIDS and die, you pig; how's that?", he's not really expressing his homophobia (oh, that's not hate, is it?), he is simply projecting a self loathing that he can not seem to get over.

Poor, troubled Michael Weiner.

Poor, troubled, dangerous Michael Weiner. I challenge everyone to listen to this guy for one hour and see just who and what is being defended.

Ivan Seeking said:
Poor, troubled, dangerous Michael Weiner. I challenge everyone to listen to this guy for one hour and see just who and what is being defended.
Well I would but I've been told listening to him puts me in the shame box, so I can not.

He's just looking to get a rise out of people and thus ratings.

Don't know why anyone gives it much attention.

I read a portion of one of Svage's book's 2 or 3 years ago. In it he launched into a diatrabe against public schools, an easy "liberal" target. His "facts" all contained footnotes, seemingly to suggest that he had sources to back them up. In one section he was excoriating the latest curriculum to indoctrinate school children, grade by grade in alternative sex lifestyles. He had about 12 "suggestions for lesson plans" (or words to that effect) that he copied from a national education study.

The actual study that he was quoting was not a curriculum guide, or lesson plan, but a guide for teachers who are confronted with questions about sex from students. (e.g. as a response to a 2nd grader's question : "why does Timmy not have a father?") As one progressed from 1st to 9th grades, various questions could be answered with less and less vagueness. The report/study was quite benign, and I found the level of answers to rather appropriate; conservative actually.

Savage deliberately twisted the purpose of this report, and reinterpreted the meanings of what was written. To top it off, he added another quote, one that was off the wall, suggesting something like "take your girlfriend into the drugstore with you to choose the condoms you want to use together." He made it appear that this was also from the report, since he treated this suggestion with the same level of disdainful mockery as the others. But this last quote was itself an ironic, mocking statement from another right wing pundit, who was making fun of the same document.

Michael Weiner AKA Michael Savage:

He obtained a Ph.D. in 1978 from the University of California, Berkeley, in nutritional ethnomedicine. His thesis was titled Nutritional Ethnomedicine in Fiji. Savage spent many years researching botany in the South Pacific and has a background in alternative medicine. As a result of being outside of the US Savage was not subject to the Vietnam draft. While in the South Pacific, he became fascinated with the 19th-century sailor Charles Savage, who was believed to be the first man to bring firearms to Fiji.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Savage_(commentator )

What this bonehead said about autistic children was despicable.

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
Michael Weiner AKA Michael Savage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Savage_(commentator )

What this bonehead said about autistic children was despicable.
Wiki is fine for a quick reference on many subjects if taken w/ a grain of salt. But with regards to inflammatory figures, it is almost guaranteed to be garbage.

This is all silly IMO. Yes Weiner is an inflammatory bozo. So are writers/speakers on thousands of other blogs, FM radio, and TV shows. In the last couple of weeks Bill Maher on HBO broadly swiped American troops overseas as rapists, and made a cornrows joke about Michelle Obama's WH garden. Let the UK descend into banning Savage, Maher and thousands of others, but first they might work on letting their own commonwealth Gurkha soldiers, who have fought for the UK for years, in to the country.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/25/gurkha-soldiers-retire-uk-settlement

Last edited:
mheslep said:
This is all silly IMO. Yes Weiner is an inflammatory bozo. So are writers/speakers on thousands of other blogs, FM radio, and TV shows. In the last couple of weeks Bill Maher on HBO broadly swiped American troops overseas as rapists, and made a cornrows joke about Michelle Obama's WH garden. Let the UK descend into banning Savage, Maher and thousands of others, but first they might work on letting their own commonwealth Gurkha soldiers, who have fought for the UK for years, in to the country.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/apr/25/gurkha-soldiers-retire-uk-settlement

But they didn't ban Maher, did they. They banned Weiner; there is a huge difference between the two. You really can't tell the difference? And to cite the fact that Weiner-styled hate mongers are growing out of this counter-culture, counter-decency, counter-truth movement that is so popular with the Republican base - what I believe is driving the base - is hardly a defense of Weiner.

I agree that Maher goes too far at times - "at times" being the operative.

Here is the clip that you mentioned.
http://storminsmorningjava.blogspot.com/2009/03/bill-maher-calls-us-soldiers-rapists.html

It was a bad joke that apparently even took him back. He actually stops, looks at someone sitting next to him, and says "I'll ignore that". A punchline gone too far, not a daily ritual of attacking half the country .

Do you really mean to say that you can't tell the difference between Maher and Weiner? Have you actually listened to one of Weiner's shows?

While I realize that you would rather put the UK on trial, instead of Weiner, I applaud the UK for recognizing what is already obvious to most reasonable people.

Wiener is now officially listed as "dangerous" - a danger to public safety - by our strongest ally.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
But they didn't ban Maher, did they.
Hence their silliness.

They banned Weiner; there is a huge difference between the two. You really can't tell the difference? And to cite the fact that Weiner-styled hate mongers are growing out of this counter-culture, counter-decency, counter-truth movement that is so popular with the Republican base - what I believe is driving the base - is hardly a defense of Weiner.
The difference appears to be vile remarks that you somehow find not that offensive and vile remarks that you do. And you've seen no defense of Weiner, in particular, here.

I agree that Maher goes too far at times - "at times" being the operative.

Here is the clip that you mentioned.
http://storminsmorningjava.blogspot.com/2009/03/bill-maher-calls-us-soldiers-rapists.html

It was a bad joke that apparently even took him back. He actually stops, looks at someone sitting next to him, and says "I'll ignore that". A punchline gone too far, not a daily ritual of attacking half the country . ..
Saw it, I don't think he took himself back. I believe that was Hitchen's castigating Maher for the remark, as Hitchens has done exactly that on the Maher's show before.

Do you really mean to say that you can't tell the difference between Maher and Weiner? Have you actually listened to one of Weiner's shows?

While I realize that you would rather put the UK on trial, instead of Weiner, I applaud the UK for recognizing what is already obvious to most reasonable people.
No, being quick to call for hauling people to the dock is your game, not mine. I am criticizing the UK's decision in this case. The UK allows those that blatantly avow violence in Mosques / globalism conferences to roam the streets, and all the while restricting their own soldiers from entering the country. Now that is their business - they are a great ally - and have very large immigration issues. But given the above, when the Brown government finds the time to ban a US citizen who never calls for violence (so far as I know - don't really listen), because he's an obnoxious loud mouth, I'm going to call it silly and self important.

Wiener is now officially listed as "dangerous" - a danger to public safety - by our strongest ally.
The quoted word "dangerous" is your word, I do not find it used by the UK's Home Secretary Smith making the announcement.

mheslep said:
Wiki is fine for a quick reference on many subjects if taken w/ a grain of salt. But with regards to inflammatory figures, it is almost guaranteed to be garbage.

So what part was garbage?? Savage's educational background is on his own web site. The wiki quote is correct.

http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=5809

Or was it my comment about Savage's disgusting remarks about autistic children??

edward said:
So what part was garbage?? Savage's educational background is on his own web site. The wiki quote is correct.

http://michaelsavage.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=5809

Or was it my comment about Savage's disgusting remarks about autistic children??

That's just my general experience with Wiki on controversial figures there, I meant no specific contradiction on Weiner/Savage. I link to Wiki too - sparingly. And even if it the quote is correct today, there's the risk that it will be wrong tomorrow when someone follows your link. That's always the case of course, but it is just much more likely in my experience w/ these kind of subjects.

mheslep said:
That's just my general experience with Wiki on controversial figures there, I meant no specific contradiction on Weiner/Savage. I link to Wiki too - sparingly. And even if it the quote is correct today, there's the risk that it will be wrong tomorrow when someone follows your link. That's always the case of course, but it is just much more likely in my experience w/ these kind of subjects.

Okay...what does this have to do with this thread? Send wiki an email of concern.

http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/weiner26.jpg

"EARTH MEDICINE" as opposed to "MARS MEDICINE" or..."BS MEDICINE". Hey, wait a minute. You don't have any pyramids or healing crystals. This is a scam!

Minor point of clarification: I didn't mean to imply that Gokul was defending this nut. I was merely adding to his comments.

So is Savage banned in the UK now?

drankin said:
So is Savage banned in the UK now?
He is barred from entering the UK.

You can listen to AM talk radio online, so the next step the Brits need to take is to install the Great Chinese Firewall in order to block access to these sites.

And then they need to put the people in Britain who have similar extremist opinions in jail.

When I see opinions censored in other countries it just makes me all the more grateful to be born in the US.

drankin said:
When I see opinions censored in other countries it just makes me all the more grateful to be born in the US.

Im actually really happy the slapped him right back in his loud mouth. He's an embarassment as a fellow countryman.

Cyrus said:
Im actually really happy the slapped him right back in his loud mouth. He's an embarassment as a fellow countryman.

As a fellow countryman myself, I'm not embarassed at all. And there are millions of listeners to his show and similar shows who feel the same. He is actually going to sue the British gov't for defamation as well as endorsing a ban on travel to the UK if he doesn't receive a written apology. This is interesting. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8036813.stm"

drankin said:
As a fellow countryman myself, I'm not embarassed at all. And there are millions of listeners to his show and similar shows who feel the same. He is actually going to sue the British gov't for defamation as well as endorsing a ban on travel to the UK if he doesn't receive a written apology. This is interesting. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8036813.stm"

Basically, he's going to rant and rave like the loony he is on the radio all day long. I hope the British government laughs at his face when they see the lawsuit.

What can I say, there are millions of gullible Americans out there listening to this garbage. I like his nickname, snaggletooth.

Oh, let;s not forget the fact that he's calling for a "travel ban"...oooooooooooooooooo...a travel ban. Is he the tzar of American and were supposed to listen to what he says?

England (1) - Mr. Weenerdog (0)

News Flash Mr. Savage, no one cares about you or your travel ban. But I'll pat you on your head if you think it makes you important so you can shut up and go away.

http://www.takebackthemedia.com/images/weinernation.jpg

savross.jpg

News to me, he owns this drink, DONT BUY IT! I found this when I googled his name.

http://brandnewgay.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/boycottsavage.jpg

Wow, Cyrus, you've digressed to name calling! I haven't heard someone called that since grade school :rofl:.

drankin said:
Wow, Cyrus, you've digressed to name calling! I haven't heard someone called that since grade school :rofl:.
Aw come on. The guy's name is weiner for Pete's sake. It's a gimme.

Better than Ellen Degenerate.

Danger said:
How the hell did you do that? :confused:

fliptext.org

drankin said:
I'll tell you what, this is one of the main reasons I listen to conservative talk radio. I remember listening to Rush Limabaugh play a five minute clip of Presidential Candidate Obama answering questions in the Middle East. It was a train wreck. It was worse than a train wreck. Obama stood at the podium saying "uh, uh, mm, uh, uh, uh, uhhhhh, uhm, diplomacy, and, uh, uhm, relations," for goddam fifteen minutes at a time. You couldn't even understand his sentences there were so many vocal "uh" fillers. This clip was never played in the mainstream media. What I'm thinking is, there had to have been cameras there—this was Obama speaking as a Presidential candidate in the Middle East—but no video ever surfaced. Meanwhile we watched John McCain standing outside in the desert mix up "Iraq" and "Iran."

"Talk radio" and newspapers like the Washington Post and New York Times are well known to contain contrasting biases in media. Hearing more perspectives on the same situations is always good for mental enrichment, regardless of whether opinions are backed up, logic is rational, or you disagree at a fundamental philosophical level.

If I hung out on physicsforums all day, this would be a very limited worldview and I would be ignorant of the opinions of quite a lot of the folks in America. One can easily tell in this thread that Cyrus speaks to what he knows to be a very sympathetic audience. He started this topic basically thinking we could all laugh at Dr. Weiner together, at his idiocy, lack of the scientific method, and of rational reasoning. And Ivan will sure have his back the whole time. Just look at the end bit of text he appends to every post on this forum.

Mk said:
If I hung out on physicsforums all day, this would be a very limited worldview and I would be ignorant of the opinions of quite a lot of the folks in America. One can easily tell in this thread that Cyrus speaks to what he knows to be a very sympathetic audience. He started this topic basically thinking we could all laugh at Dr. Weiner together, at his idiocy, lack of the scientific method, and of rational reasoning. And Ivan will sure have his back the whole time. Just look at the end bit of text he appends to every post on this forum.

I don't see the point you are trying to make here about Dr. dick. I generally like audiences that have a brain - call me crazy.

Hearing more perspectives on the same situations is always good for mental enrichment, regardless of whether opinions are backed up, logic is rational, or you disagree at a fundamental philosophical level.

Listening to Dr. Cox. rant and rave is not an enrichment of differing opinion. This is not only wrong, but a stupid thing to say. Why don't you tune into radio KKK and hear the lastest about how we are superior to blacks? It's not rational, or logical, but hey its enriching becuase its different, right? ...wrong.

Lot's of Americans also don't want a black man as a president. Why should I care about their opinions? - I don't.

Last edited:
Why don't you tune into radio KKK and hear the lastest about how we are superior to blacks? It's not rational, or logical, but hey its enriching becuase its different, right? ...wrong.
The talk radio we are discussing and the Fox television network are very popular in the United States. Many people are sympathetic or share the views expressed at these media outlets. A large, real group of people believe all those things you hear about how bad socialism is (and why), and how bad Obama's presidential policies are. That is mostly what Sean Hannity, Neal Boortz, and Rush Limabugh talk about all day.

Since we're talking about AM radio, how about Art Bell and George Noory? What do you think of them?

Mk said:
The talk radio we are discussing and the Fox television network are very popular in the United States. Many people are sympathetic or share the views expressed at these media outlets. A large, real group of people believe all those things you hear about how bad socialism is (and why), and how bad Obama's presidential policies are. That is mostly what Sean Hannity, Neal Boortz, and Rush Limabugh talk about all day.

Since we're talking about AM radio, how about Art Bell and George Noory? What do you think of them?

I don't listen to them, I couldn't tell you. I don't listen to talk radio.

So many people are uninformed about important topics. <Shrug> So what? The fact that there is a large number of these people doesn't change the fact that Dr. oscar mayer is a moron.

Hannity has a high school diploma, that makes him very credible...:rolleyes: