What Do American Girls Look for in a Man?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, there is no definitive answer to what American girls like in a man as preferences can vary greatly among individuals. However, some girls may prefer traditional values such as waiting until marriage for sex and avoiding taboo topics like abortion, while others may be more open and unconventional. The most desirable trait for American women may be the ability to make them laugh consistently. Additionally, there are no specific taboos that should be avoided in conversation, but it's important to be respectful and mindful of others' sensitivities.
loseyourname said:
The impression I get from magazine polls and relationship guides and such is that the single most desirable trait a man can have to an American women is the ability to consistently make her laugh.
That is number one on my list. It isn't the ONLY thing on my list.

Brewnog, you are absolutely correct an English accent will make American girls swoon. :!)

Physics news on Phys.org
El Hombre Invisible said:
You're bitshy around women? Oh, a bit shy. I get the impression American women, or at least those from New England, are a bit like British men - not to be mixed with alcohol. Me and a mate hung out with a few girls for a few days and, yep, they dug the suave English accent (that everyone thought was Australian... hmmm... not so suave then), but as the first night wore on they got really rowdy (and randy), turned against one another, had huffs... some real face-offs going on. My mate tried to leave and one of them leapt onto him as he was going up the stairs. He got away, but then she grabbed him by the shoe. Not the outside of the shoe, you understand. She dug her fingers into the back of his shoe and held on for dear life. She begged him, and I'm not kidding, to- actually I can't say what she begged him to do, but I never heard those words COME from the MOUTH of any British girl I ever met in public on a first social outing.

Dinner the following night was... interesting.

Was that a freak occurrence?
I'd say those girls were definitely freaks. :bugeye:

Evo said:
That is number one on my list. It isn't the ONLY thing on my list.

Brewnog, you are absolutely correct an English accent will make American girls swoon. :!)
So you're saying that if I talk while tickling you I'm in with a chance? I have the feather duster right here.

Evo said:
I'd say those girls were definitely freaks. :bugeye:
That explains the beards.

wolram said:
Its a, s e c r e t, Lisa and she may not be so lucky.
I know but I am trying to help you if she's around here! :wink: o:)

Well, call me snooty, but I don't care for being called a "girl." I give extra points to the contributor on page one who changed the word "girls" to "women."

Yep, I'm a sucker for the accent too. (But you might consider some dental work.)

Humor is important, but not being listened to is infuriating and no matter how funny you are ... if you don't listen it won't matter.

I find the fact that most all of you on this thread are male, trying to brainstorm what American women look for, and apprently reaching conclusions with very little actual *female input*, quite funny. In a nice way.

And although it's politically incorrect to say, you know, you have to be at least passing on looks. And hygiene.

pattylou said:
Well, call me snooty, but I don't care for being called a "girl." I give extra points to the contributor on page one who changed the word "girls" to "women."
That's all well and good, but we want girls.

pattylou said:
Yep, I'm a sucker for the accent too. (But you might consider some dental work.)
[sigh] Mike Myers has a lot to answer for.

pattylou said:
Humor is important, but not being listened to is infuriating and no matter how funny you are ... if you don't listen it won't matter.
Did you just say something?

pattylou said:
I find the fact that most all of you on this thread are male, trying to brainstorm what American women look for, and apprently reaching conclusions with very little actual *female input*, quite funny. In a nice way.
Yes, how funny men are for not getting much female input despite request. Um.

pattylou said:
And although it's politically incorrect to say, you know, you have to be at least passing on looks. And hygiene.
As a smelly hunchback I find that remark distasteful and hurtful.

As a smelly hunchback I find that remark distasteful and hurtful.
As an effluvially rich, and also alarmingly hirsuite fellow, I have to second your objection.

I thought that was drop-dead gorgeous for a zooby..? You must have a healthy harem of zoobettes.

Alluringly hirsute?
Oh no, my mind was wandering again; yet another misread.

"[sigh] Mike Myers has a lot to answer for."

LOL.

Well, we knew the stereotype before Myers ran with it. The Scots seem to be worse than the Brits, if that's any consolation. Fellow on the train from Kings Cross to Glasgow, talked with us the whole way - but I just kept wondering ... *how* did he lose so many teeth? Irn Bru?

pattylou said:
The Scots seem to be worse than the Brits

You're new, so I'll let you off that very, very serious screw up. But let that be the last time, lest I smite thee with great vengeance.

Irn Bru?

Ooh yummy, yes please!

I thought that was drop-dead gorgeous for a zooby..? You must have a healthy harem of zoobettes.
No trouble with the zoobettes. I am experiencing a lot of resistance in my attempts to date human women, though: "Deodorant!", "Shave!", all that kind of flak.

brewnog said:
You're new, so I'll let you off that very, very serious screw up. But let that be the last time, lest I smite thee with great vengeance.
LOL. I was just baiting for a Scot.

We love your legs.

(edit: Dammit, it still doesn't read right. That was reference to kilts.)

Hi Brewnog!

Last edited:
pattylou said:
LOL. I was just baiting for a Scot.

We love your legs.

(edit: Dammit, it still doesn't read right. That was reference to kilts.)

Hi Brewnog!

I'm not a Scot!

But if I was, I'd still be a Brit. That's all I was getting at. But yes, my legs are absolutely gorgeous, and I'm very partial to a spot of Irn Bru.

What does "Made in Scotland, from girders" mean? 'Girders' as in steel bars?

Hygiene, yes, but I think that goes along with being kind. ;)
Looks don't make my list, but they would if I were interested in a different kind of relationship. Anywho, I think wolram could at least tell us if this lady is at PF. It wouldn't hurt just to know that much; There are lots of ladies here. And the suspense is killing me. :frown:

pattylou said:
"[sigh] Mike Myers has a lot to answer for."

LOL.

Well, we knew the stereotype before Myers ran with it. The Scots seem to be worse than the Brits, if that's any consolation. Fellow on the train from Kings Cross to Glasgow, talked with us the whole way - but I just kept wondering ... *how* did he lose so many teeth? Irn Bru?
Mmmm. You certainly all kept quiet about it until the film came out though, didn't you. I don't get why, since Austin Powers does seem to be the source of the teeth jibe, people didn't pick up on the fact that his teeth were bad by modern British standards . Not that I care, but I just always wanted to ask that question.
History done with, a little geography for you. Scotland is in Britain. Britain = Scotland, England & Wales. I think you meant to say "the Scots are worse than the English"?
But yeah... Irn Bru is pretty toxic. But my god, synthetic chemicals never tasted so good.

brewnog said:
But yes, my legs are absolutely gorgeous...
Brews is killer in a pair of high heels.

Women with english accents are down right sexy as well...No Julia Child or Queen Mum comments please.

brewnog said:
I'm not a Scot!

But if I was, I'd still be a Brit. That's all I was getting at. But yes, my legs are absolutely gorgeous, and I'm very partial to a spot of Irn Bru.

Oh! Sorry! carry on, carry on...

brewnog said:
I'm not a Scot!

Oops! Yer too quick for me.

honestrosewater said:
The very same.

honestrosewater said:
Looks don't make my list, but they would if I were interested in a different kind of relationship. Anywho, I think wolram could at least tell us if this lady is at PF. It wouldn't hurt just to know that much; There are lots of ladies here. And the suspense is killing me. :frown:
Agreed. Goddam you wolram, stop playing with us!
Oh, I just noticed your middle name is Rose. Hmmm hmm hmm HM!

FredGarvin said:
Women with english accents are down right sexy as well...No Julia Child or Queen Mum comments please.
Agreed; I've always had a soft spot for Camilla Parker-Bowles..

I think you meant to say "the Scots are worse than the English"?

Oh dear. I don't know who I have insulted (everyone? I was teasing!) ---- But yes, that was what I meant. Typing too fast. Sorry!

The tooth thing - well, the other side of the coin is that some Americans (especially where I live) bleach and bleach their teeth to a shade of brilliant white that has no place in a mouth. It's downright distracting. It's the dental version of steroids or any other over-the-top aesthetic change.

You're all lovely. That's what I meant to say. Lovely. (better?)

arildno said:
Damn. I knew I forgot one on that 'do not touch' list.
I laughed.

Lisa! said:
I know but I am trying to help you if she's around here! :wink: o:)
Well she could be, and i think i need help,and lots and lots of it, you see i dont
think I am good enough for her, and i just told her all about me, and i told the
truth, i am waiting for a pm but it is hours since i sent mine.

Mmmm. You certainly all kept quiet about it until the film came out though, didn't you. I don't get why..."
You're right. No one had a preconception about British teeth till Mike Meyers emphasized it, and went around pointing it out in the interviews for his Powers films. Now everyone thinks they noticed it themselves, but the fact is, Meyers is the only person in the world who watched all the old English films he says inspired Austin Powers.

It was the same with the first President Bush and Dana Carvey. No one even thought of Bush as a comic figure till Carvey came out with his surreal impersonation. Then everyone started imitating "Bush" but they were really imitating Carvey.

wolram said:
Well she could be, and i think i need help,and lots and lots of it, you see i dont
think I am good enough for her, and i just told her all about me, and i told the
I think you're in trouble, sir. You told us before you told her.

I suggest prayer.

pattylou said:
Oh dear. I don't know who I have insulted (everyone? I was teasing!) ---- But yes, that was what I meant. Typing too fast. Sorry!

The tooth thing - well, the other side of the coin is that some Americans (especially where I live) bleach and bleach their teeth to a shade of brilliant white that has no place in a mouth. It's downright distracting. It's the dental version of steroids or any other over-the-top aesthetic change.

You're all lovely. That's what I meant to say. Lovely. (better?)
Ah, that Beverly Hills formula. No, no offense taken, although as a man born of a Scottish family but raised in England, it does seem I am dentally doomed.

arildno said:
What with zooby's stated intention to cross-breed with a human, and your warm feeling for Charlie's trusty steed, I'm guessing the Welsh are going to be the only acceptable Brit on this thread.

wolram said:
Are you internet dating? What's a pm?

honestrosewater said:

I won't until she tells me i can tell, i don't know if the feelings are mutual yet
and the wait is killing me, i think i need intravenous rum and coke, why do
they leave you on tenterhooks.

Correction:
zoobyshoe said:
No one even thought of Bush as a comic figure till...
... he opened his mouth. I didn't even know Dana Carvey (is that the other guy from Wayne's World) did a Bush impersonation, but I've never seen SNL (he's on SNL right?).

zoobyshoe said:
You're right. No one had a preconception about British teeth till Mike Meyers emphasized it, and went around pointing it out in the interviews for his Powers films. Now everyone thinks they noticed it themselves, but the fact is, Meyers is the only person in the world who watched all the old English films he says inspired Austin Powers.

I disagree. I'm not discounting Myers impact on the stereotype, but the comparison wouldn't have been there to begin with if there wasn't a craze at the same time (or just before) for Americans to make their teeth more "perfect." Whiter, straighter, the whole thing. And I recall when we first saw "Austin Powers," my husband asked "What is with all the references to teeth?" ... And I was already familiar with the comparison. I don't know when the culture here shifted to tooth-fixation, but I think it was late eighties/early nineties - and Austin Powers was mid nineties.

zoobyshoe said:
It was the same with the first President Bush and Dana Carvey. No one even thought of Bush as a comic figure till Carvey came out with his surreal impersonation. Then everyone started imitating "Bush" but they were really imitating Carvey.

Nah. Sure, comics make caricatures that accentuate the humor in public figures. But come on. "A kinder, gentler nation." "A thousand points of light." Carvey was picking up on the obvious. Bush's statements are ridiculous, oversimplified, meaningless characterizations - Before Carvey even entered the picture.

What with zooby's stated intention to cross-breed with a human, and your warm feeling for Charlie's trusty steed
Trusty STEED?? That valet, please give me a break..

Oh, of course, you meant Camilla, the handsome hag. Sorry about that.

arildno said:
Trusty STEED?? That valet, please give me a break..

Oh, of course, you meant Camilla, the handsome hag. Sorry about that.
She's a fine beast, to be sure.

Correction:

... he opened his mouth. I didn't even know Dana Carvey (is that the other guy from Wayne's World) did a Bush impersonation, but I've never seen SNL (he's on SNL right?).
Yeah, Carvey is the blonde guy of the "Wayne's" duo.
And I'm talking about the father of the current US president, not the clown currently known as President Bush.