Understanding the Internal Resistance of Ammeters and Voltmeters

In summary, an ammeter is a device used to measure electric current in a circuit by connecting in series with the circuit, while a voltmeter is a device used to measure voltage by connecting in parallel. They cannot be used interchangeably and the right device for a circuit depends on the expected range and accuracy needed.
lha08

Homework Statement

I'm writing my sources of error for my lab report and I'm just wondering if its true that the ammeter has internal resistance in it, and that this will increase the resistance in the circuit, which will ultimately decrease the current in the circuit?? Does this sound right??

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

ehild

Ideal ammeter has no internal resistance, ideal voltmeter has infinite internal resistance. Real ammeters and voltmeters are not ideal. In effect real ammeter always decreases the current (increasing circuit resistance), and real voltmeter always lowers the potential (drawing a current).

FAQ: Understanding the Internal Resistance of Ammeters and Voltmeters

What is an ammeter and how does it work?

An ammeter is a device used to measure electric current in a circuit. It works by connecting in series with the circuit, allowing the current to flow through it and measuring the amount of current passing through.

What is a voltmeter and how does it work?

A voltmeter is a device used to measure voltage in a circuit. It works by connecting in parallel with the circuit, allowing the voltage to pass through it and measuring the difference in potential between two points.

What is the difference between an ammeter and a voltmeter?

An ammeter measures current, while a voltmeter measures voltage. Additionally, an ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, while a voltmeter is connected in parallel.

Can an ammeter and voltmeter be used interchangeably?

No, an ammeter and voltmeter cannot be used interchangeably. Each device is designed to measure a specific property of an electric circuit and has a different method of connection.

How do I choose the right ammeter or voltmeter for my circuit?

The right ammeter or voltmeter for your circuit depends on the range of current or voltage you expect to measure. Make sure to select a device with a suitable range and accuracy for your specific circuit.