Ampere's law in differential form

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the differential form of Ampere's law to calculate the magnetic field inside and outside a long cylindrical wire carrying a current density given by j(r). The conversation also includes a derivation of the curl in cylindrical coordinates and the determination of a constant C, which is used to determine the magnetic field outside the wire. The conversation ends with a question about how to determine which derivatives in the expression for curl must be non-zero.
roam

Homework Statement

A long cylindrical wire of radius R0 lies in the z-axis and carries a current density given by:

##j(r)= j_0 \left( \frac{r}{R_0} \right)^2 \ \hat{z} \ for \ r< R_0##

##j(r) = 0 \ elsewhere##

Use the differential form of Ampere's law to calculate the magnetic field B inside and outside the wire.

Homework Equations

Differential form of Ampere's law: ##\nabla \times B = \mu_0 J##

Curl in cylindrical coordinates:

##\nabla \times B = [\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial B_z}{\partial \phi}] \hat{r} + [\frac{\partial B_r}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial r}] \hat{\phi} + \frac{1}{r} [\frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r B_\phi)-\frac{\partial B_r}{\partial \phi}]##

The Attempt at a Solution

Could anyone please explain, in the equation above for curl in cylindrical coordinates, which derivative can be non-zero in this case?

If I take this to be the one involving differentiating φ-component with respect to r, then the answer I get for Bin seems to be correct, but Bout is wrong:

##\frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r B_{\phi}) = \mu_0 j_0 (\frac{r}{R_o})^2 \implies B_{in}= \frac{\mu_0 j_0 r^3}{4 R_0^2}##

##\frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r B_{\phi}) = \mu_0 (0) \implies B_{out} = \frac{C}{r}##​

What should I do here? :confused:

P.S. I am checking my answers by comparing them to the ones I've obtained using the integral form of Ampere's law:

##I_{enc, in} = \int^r_0 \frac{j_0 r^2}{R_0^2} . 2 \pi r dr =\frac{j_0 2 \pi r^4}{4 R_0^2}, \ I_{enc, out} = \frac{j_0 2 \pi R_0^2}{4}##

##\therefore \oint B_{in} .da =B_{in} 2\pi r= \frac{j_0 2 \pi r^4}{4 R_0^2} \implies B_{in}=\frac{\mu_0 j_0 r^3}{4 R_0^2}, \ B_{out}=\frac{\mu_0 j_0 R_0^2}{4 r}##

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have a mistake, you just didn't finish your derivation. Namely, the constant [itex]C[/itex] in your expression for [itex]B_{out}[/itex] is yet to be determined. To determine it, you need some boundary condition to apply to [itex]B_{out}[/itex]. Do you know what it is?

As for the comparison with the integral form, one simply has to note that [itex]\frac{\mu_0 j_0R_0^2}{4} = const. = C[/itex] where the last equality needs to be proven by the above method.

Likes roam
ELB27 said:
You don't have a mistake, you just didn't finish your derivation. Namely, the constant [itex]C[/itex] in your expression for [itex]B_{out}[/itex] is yet to be determined. To determine it, you need some boundary condition to apply to [itex]B_{out}[/itex]. Do you know what it is?

As for the comparison with the integral form, one simply has to note that [itex]\frac{\mu_0 j_0R_0^2}{4} = const. = C[/itex] where the last equality needs to be proven by the above method.

That makes sense now. But what sort of boundary conditions do I need to apply to ##B_{out}## in order to get the right ##C##? I really have no idea how to solve for ##C##. Any explanation would be helpful.

roam said:
That makes sense now. But what sort of boundary conditions do I need to apply to ##B_{out}## in order to get the right ##C##? I really have no idea how to solve for ##C##. Any explanation would be helpful.
Well, there are two boundaries in the outer region - the surface of the cylinder (which is the boundary between [itex]\vec{B_{in}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B_{out}}[/itex]) and [itex]r=\infty[/itex]. Concerning the second boundary, one would expect the magnetic field to go to zero at infinity since these points are infinitely far from any magnetic field source (currents). This condition ([itex]\vec{B_{out}}→0[/itex] as [itex]r→\infty[/itex]) is alreaady taken care of by the inverse-[itex]r[/itex] relationship that you derived (##\vec{B_{out}} = C/r##). Now, concerning the second boundary: how would you expect the fields [itex]\vec{B_{in}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B_{out}}[/itex] to be related in their mutual boundary (in the absence of surface current which is not present in this problem)? i.e., in the place where both [itex]\vec{B_{in}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B_{out}}[/itex] exist, how are they related to each other?
You have to remember that both [itex]\vec{B_{in}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B_{out}}[/itex] are part of the same function ##\vec{B}##. Can the magnetic field change abruptly from one value to another at such a boundary?

Last edited:
Likes roam
ELB27 said:
Well, there are two boundaries in the outer region - the surface of the cylinder (which is the boundary between [itex]\vec{B_{in}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B_{out}}[/itex]) and [itex]r=\infty[/itex]. Concerning the second boundary, one would expect the magnetic field to go to zero at infinity since these points are infinitely far from any magnetic field source (currents). This condition ([itex]\vec{B_{out}}→0[/itex] as [itex]r→\infty[/itex]) is alreaady taken care of by the inverse-[itex]r[/itex] relationship that you derived (##\vec{B_{out}} = C/r##). Now, concerning the second boundary: how would you expect the fields [itex]\vec{B_{in}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B_{out}}[/itex] to be related in their mutual boundary (in the absence of surface current which is not present in this problem)? i.e., in the place where both [itex]\vec{B_{in}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B_{out}}[/itex] exist, how are they related to each other?
You have to remember that both [itex]\vec{B_{in}}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B_{out}}[/itex] are part of the same function ##\vec{B}##. Can the magnetic field change abruptly from one value to another at such a boundary?

Thank you so much for the explanation. It makes perfect sense now. I got the right constant:

##B_{out} (R_0) = \frac{C}{R_0} = \frac{\mu_0 j_0 R_0^3}{4 R_0^2} = B_{in} (R_0) \implies C= \frac{\mu_0 j_0 R_0^2}{4}##So, the other question I was struggling with was how do we decide which of the derivatives in the expression for ##\nabla \times B## must be non-zero.

So in cylindrical polar coordinates the curl was:

##\nabla \times B = [\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial B_z}{\partial \phi}] \hat{r} + [\frac{\partial B_r}{\partial z} - \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial r}] \hat{\phi} + \frac{1}{r} [\frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r B_\phi)-\frac{\partial B_r}{\partial \phi}]##

How do we know that only the ##\partial B_{\phi} / \partial r## term must be non-zero? Any explanations or links is greatly appreciated.

roam said:
So, the other question I was struggling with was how do we decide which of the derivatives in the expression for ##\nabla \times B## must be non-zero.

So in cylindrical polar coordinates the curl was:

How do we know that only the ##\partial B_{\phi} / \partial r## term must be non-zero? Any explanations or links is greatly appreciated.
First of all, the ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{\phi}## components of the curl are zero because ##\nabla\times\vec{B} = \vec{J}## and ##J_{r}=J_{\phi}=0##. Concerning the ##\hat{z}## component, there are multiple ways to see that the second term vanishes. First, a nice "trick" with cylinders with currents parallel to their axis is that you can consider them to be straight wires, and then remember that the magnetic field is swirling around them by the right hand rule. A more rigorous way is via Biot-Savart law: [tex]\vec{B} = \frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int \frac{\vec{J}\times(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}d\tau'[/tex] where ##\vec{r}## is the position vector of the point at which the field is being calculated, ##\vec{r}'## is the position vector of a current point and ##d\tau'=dx'dy'dz'=r'dr'd\phi'dz'## is an infinitesimal volume element of current. If you focus on the ##\vec{J}\times(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')## part, you will find that if you integrate it ##d\phi## (i.e. sum it around the cylinder circumferentially), the ##r## component will cancel. Finally, you don't even have to know that ##B_r=0##, you can consider symmetry - your configuration is completely symmetrical in ##\phi## (nothing depends on it - your current density is wholly in ##z## and the same goes for the cylinder). Thus, the field cannot possibly depend on it either and any derivative with respect to it must vanish.

Hope the above explanation makes sense!

Likes roam
Yes, it's absolutely clear to me now. Thank you so much for the wonderful explanation. I do appreciate your time and expertise.

Related to Ampere's law in differential form

1. What is the formula for Ampere's law in differential form?

In differential form, Ampere's law is written as ∇ × B = μ₀J, where ∇ is the gradient operator, B is the magnetic field, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, and J is the current density.

2. How is Ampere's law in differential form different from the integral form?

Ampere's law in differential form is a vector equation, while the integral form is a scalar equation. In differential form, the equation applies to every point in space, while the integral form applies to a closed loop.

3. What does Ampere's law in differential form tell us?

Ampere's law in differential form tells us that the curl of the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current density at that point. This relationship is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on currents.

4. How is Ampere's law in differential form used in practical applications?

Ampere's law in differential form is used in many practical applications, such as in designing electromagnets, motors, and generators. It is also used in studying the behavior of magnetic fields in materials and in medical imaging techniques like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

5. What is the historical significance of Ampere's law in differential form?

Ampere's law in differential form was first formulated by French mathematician and physicist André-Marie Ampère in the early 19th century. It played a crucial role in the development of electrodynamics and helped establish the connection between electric currents and magnetic fields.