How to Calculate Voltage Gain for Amplifiers B and D with Limited Input Voltage

• Thread starter breeno
  • Start date
In summary: D I went through with a tutor today and it turns out my system was right in the way of getting it and on an exam I will get a 10% range for graph style questions. I re-drew the graph on graph paper and ended up getting the correct answer.Thanks for helping out!
breeno

Homework Statement

"The graph shows the characteristics of four different voltage amplifiers (A-D). The input voltage to these amplifiers is limited to between + & - 600mV.

physicsstuff.png

If you cannot see it properly it also says "If the input voltage is as shown (see bottom graph), sketch the output voltage for amplifiers B and D."

Homework Equations

Voltage gain = change in output voltage divided by change in input voltage.

The Attempt at a Solution

To use B as an example. I've tried finding the voltage gain (rise over run or the formula above) to get 8.33. I then use that as the voltage gain and rearrange the above formula but alas it didn't work. If it helps, the book shows (for B) a peak voltage of 1.8v and a trough of 1.8v.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
breeno said:
To use B as an example. I've tried finding the voltage gain (rise over run or the formula above) to get 8.33. I then use that as the voltage gain and rearrange the above formula but alas it didn't work. If it helps, the book shows (for B) a peak voltage of 1.8v and a trough of 1.8v.

For B, your rise over the run approach is the way to go. :approve: But you might want to redo the math. :frown: The way I see the figure (which isn't too easy, it's kind of squashed), the output voltages seems to around 5.0 V for an input voltage of around 0.55 V. That doesn't give a gain of 8.33.

collinsmark said:
For B, your rise over the run approach is the way to go. :approve: But you might want to redo the math. :frown: The way I see the figure (which isn't too easy, it's kind of squashed), the output voltages seems to around 5.0 V for an input voltage of around 0.55 V. That doesn't give a gain of 8.33.

It's 5v and 0.6v. :p

5/0.6 = 8.33.

breeno said:
It's 5v and 0.6v. :p

5/0.6 = 8.33.

Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to see because the figure is squished up. On the other hand, if you use 5/0.55 = 9.09, you'll get the answer in the book. I'm not sure if the book made a mistake in the figure, or the answer, or if it's just because I just can't interpret the figure very well myself.

collinsmark said:
Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to see because the figure is squished up. On the other hand, if you use 5/0.55 = 9.09, you'll get the answer in the book. I'm not sure if the book made a mistake in the figure, or the answer, or if it's just because I just can't interpret the figure very well myself.

Thanks for your help.

I went through with a tutor today and it turns out my system was right in the way of getting it and on an exam I will get a 10% range for graph style questions. I re-drew the graph on graph paper and ended up getting the correct answer.

Thanks for helping!

1. How does an amplifier work?

An amplifier is an electronic device that increases the amplitude of a signal. It takes a weak input signal and produces a stronger output signal by using active components such as transistors or vacuum tubes to amplify the voltage or current of the input signal.

2. What are the different types of amplifiers?

There are several types of amplifiers, including audio amplifiers, radio frequency (RF) amplifiers, operational amplifiers (op-amps), and power amplifiers. Each type is designed for a specific purpose and has different characteristics and applications.

3. How do I choose the right amplifier for my needs?

Choosing the right amplifier depends on your specific needs and the type of signal you want to amplify. Factors to consider include the input signal type and level, the desired output power, the frequency range, and the required gain and bandwidth.

4. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear amplifier?

A linear amplifier produces an output that is an exact replica of the input signal, but with a larger amplitude. On the other hand, a non-linear amplifier distorts the input signal in some way, resulting in a non-linear relationship between the input and output signals.

5. How can I prevent my amplifier from overheating?

Amplifiers can overheat if they are used for extended periods at high power levels. To prevent this, make sure the amplifier is properly ventilated and not placed near heat sources. You can also use a heat sink or fan to dissipate the heat generated by the amplifier.