Amplifying AC Signal: LM358 Op-Amp Circuit for Full AC Signal Amplification

• Thread starter hadroneater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Signal
In summary, the individual was attempting to amplify a sinusoidal AC voltage using a non-inverting amplifier circuit with the LM358 op-amp. However, due to the low power and single positive power supply of the LM358, only the positive half of the signal was being shown. To ensure a full AC signal is amplified, the individual can capacitively couple the signal into a resistor divider or use two power supplies. Another option is to use a circuit with a 100k resistor and 0.1µF capacitor to achieve a gain of 100.
hadroneater
I have a sinusoidal AC voltage with roughly Vrms = 50mV. I wanted to amplify with a non-inverting amplifier circuit with the LM358 op-amp. I used resistors of 100ohm and 10kohm for a theoretical gain of 100x. However, my output signal is rectified so that only the positive half of the signal shows. I reckon this is because the LM358 is a low power op-amp and only uses a single, positive power supply. What can I do to ensure that a full AC signal is amplified with the LM358? I thought of giving the input signal an offset using diodes but that seem to complicated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Depending upon the frequency response you need, you might be able to capacitively couple your signal of interest into the middle of a resistor divider. That will effectively add a constant offset voltage, putting the op-amp input signal within its supply range.

- Warren

Alternatively, you could simply use two power supplies, one below and one above the ground level of your signal.

- Warren

You can do this:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/non%20inv%20amp.PNG

The supply shown as 2.5 volts at left can be a pair of resistors (maybe 3.3 K) in series across the power supply with an electrolytic capacitor across the bottom one. Maybe 22 uF.
Take the output from the junction of the two resistors.

The 100 K brings this voltage to the non inverting input and the signal is coupled to this input via a 0.1 µF capacitor. V1 is the input signal.

The gain is about 100.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an AC signal?

An AC (alternating current) signal is an electrical signal that changes direction periodically, meaning it alternates between positive and negative values. This type of signal is commonly used in household electricity and in electronic devices.

2. Why would you need to amplify an AC signal?

Amplifying an AC signal can be useful in several situations. It can help to increase the strength or amplitude of the signal, making it easier to detect or process. It can also help to boost the signal to overcome any losses or interference that may occur as it travels through a circuit or device.

3. How is an AC signal amplified?

An AC signal can be amplified using various electronic components such as transistors, operational amplifiers, or vacuum tubes. These components are designed to increase the strength of the signal without distorting its original shape or frequency.

4. What are some applications of amplified AC signals?

Amplified AC signals are commonly used in audio systems, where they are used to increase the volume of sound. They are also used in power supplies to boost the voltage of AC signals for various electronic devices. Additionally, amplified AC signals are used in communication systems, such as radio and television, to transmit and receive information.

5. Is there any risk of amplifying an AC signal?

Amplifying an AC signal can have some risks, such as introducing noise or distortion to the signal. It is important to carefully select and configure the amplifying components to minimize these risks. In addition, high levels of amplification can also lead to overheating and damage to the electronic components, so it is crucial to use appropriate cooling methods and monitor the signal levels carefully.