Why is the use of absolute value in vector norms a matter of preference?

In summary, The conversation was about the use of absolute value in mathematical methods in the physical sciences. The author uses the notation ##\ln|x|##, which can be interpreted as the absolute value of a complex number, but only the real part of the complex number is relevant for the comparison and therefore the notation for the norm, ##||z||##, would be more appropriate. However, the author sticks with the notation ##\ln|x|##.
mech-eng
I would like to ask you why the author does not use absolute value of y instead of y?

absolute value.png

Source: Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Mary L. Boas

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
##y=\pm \exp(-\int P dx +C)=\pm A \exp(-\int P dx)=A' \exp(-\int P dx)## and the sign can be put into the value of ##A##.

Likes mech-eng
fresh_42 said:
##y=\pm \exp(-\int P dx +C)=\pm A \exp(-\int P dx)=A' \exp(-\int P dx)## and the sign can be put into the value of ##A##.

But in this example in the same source In calculating I, the integrating factor, the minus sign cannot be put into any value. Would you like to examine this?
calculation of I.png

So shouldn't it be as "3ln|1+ x^2|"

Thank you.

fresh_42 said:
When is ##1+x^2 < 0\,##?

Sorry for the mistake, this expression can be 0 for maximum value.

Thank you.

I simply assumed real numbers. Over complex numbers, things become a bit more complicated. What is ##\ln|x|##, e.g? Usually ##x## refers to a real variable and a complex would be denoted by ##z##. At least it explains the examples.

fresh_42 said:
I simply assumed real numbers. Over complex numbers, things become a bit more complicated. What is ##\ln|x|##, e.g? Usually ##x## refers to a real variable and a complex would be denoted by ##z##. At least it explains the examples.

But even for complex numbers, cannot be it maximum 0 because i^2=-1 ?

Thank you.

It could be ##1+(2i)^2=-3## but the complex numbers aren't ordered anymore, so ##"<"## only makes sense for it's real absolute values, which are usually written by double lines ##||z||##. Differentiation and integration of complex valued functions must be handled more carefully, because a lot of formulas we're used to, don't apply anymore. E.g. the exponential function in the complex number plane behaves very differently compared to the real version. Here we have ##e^{2n \pi i}=1## for all ##n \in \mathbb{N}## which doesn't have anything near over the reals.

fresh_42 said:
so ##"<"## only makes sense for it's real absolute values, which are usually written by double lines ##||z||##.

I have never seen double lines for the absolute value of complex numbers. That's reserved for norm.

Norms are defined on vectors. Absolute values are defined on fields. When you have complex vector spaces, you need the notation separate because the norm will in general be different to the absolute value of vectors.

As an aside, absolute values are related to valuation theory, but as far as I'm aware of norms don't have an analogue.

##|x+iy|^2=x^2+y^2## is a norm, the Euclidean norm of ##(x,y)##.

fresh_42 said:
##|x+iy|^2=x^2+y^2## is a norm, the Euclidean norm of ##(x,y)##.

There is a difference between the field ##\mathbb{C}##, the one dimensional vector space of the complex numbers over itself ##\mathbb{C}^1##, which in turn is a different thing to ##\mathbb{R}^2##. They are equivalent as vector spaces, but his thread is not about complex vector spaces.
The reason why we notationally separate the two, is that there is no requirement that the vector space's norm be the Euclidean one.

Yes, I know, but it's how the "absolute value" of a complex number is defined, by a vector norm. Therefore the double lines make sense here. That's all I wanted to say. Do you define ##|x+iy|## differently?

fresh_42 said:
Yes, I know, but it's how the "absolute value" of a complex number is defined, by a vector norm. Therefore the double lines make sense here. That's all I wanted to say. Do you define ##|x+iy|## differently?

The part in bold is what I disagree with.

A matter of taste. But as it is a vector norm you somehow contradict yourself. Anyway, I'm sure that both notations are actually used, so there's no reason to argue about it.

Related to Why is the use of absolute value in vector norms a matter of preference?

What is an absolute value question?

An absolute value question is a mathematical question that involves finding the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is represented by two vertical bars surrounding the number, and the result is always positive.

How do you solve an absolute value question?

To solve an absolute value question, you can use the following steps:

1. Identify the absolute value expression, which is the number or variable inside the vertical bars.
  2. If the expression is positive, the absolute value is equal to the expression itself.
  3. If the expression is negative, the absolute value is equal to the opposite of the expression.
  4. Perform any necessary operations inside the vertical bars.
  5. If there are no operations left, the result is the absolute value of the expression.

What are some real-life applications of absolute value questions?

Absolute value questions can be used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, absolute value is used to calculate the magnitude of a force or velocity. In engineering, it is used to determine the distance between two points in a coordinate system. In finance, absolute value is used to calculate the difference between the expected and actual values of an asset.

Can absolute value be negative?

No, absolute value is always positive. It represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line, and distance cannot be negative.

What is the difference between absolute value and absolute value function?

Absolute value is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero, while absolute value function is a mathematical function that calculates the absolute value of a number or variable. The absolute value function is often denoted as |x|, where x is the number or variable inside the vertical bars.