Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An electron in atom that rotate proton, has it radiation?

1. Sep 30, 2015 #1
    Hi dears,i have a question about atom,in classic physics ,(Bohr theory) when a electron swing away a proton it have
    not radiates magnetic waves because if electron radiates magnetic wave it will drop on proton ,and atom will be Unstable!
    my question is ,in quantum mechanics that uses orbitals ,default is a electron radiate magnetic waves or not radiate magnetic waves????
    please answer me,thanks very much

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Quantum mechanics predicts that the electron will not radiate (except when changing orbitals) so the atom will be stable.

4. Sep 30, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is one of the most commonly asked questions both in introductory quantum physics and in this very forum, one of our members has made a brief explanation on this issue ,see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-dont-electrons-crash-into-the-nucleus-in-atoms.511179/ [Broken], although he may not mention the energy loss due to magnetic waves (well, if a magnetic field follows temporal evolution, it should also radiate electric field wave, and hence electromagnetic wave). In reality, when the atom is stable it will not radiate EM waves as the classical physics will have predicted.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Sep 30, 2015 #4
    Well to be fair, the apparent stability of non-ground states is simply a fault from not quantizing the EM field. The only quantitative disagreement between CM and QM is the existence of the ground state. (and the discrete energy levels, of course)

6. Sep 30, 2015 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Spontaneous emission also exists in QM, although it's more properly treated when taking QED effect into account. When saying "stable" I actually meant the eigenstate of Hamiltonian, but I seemed to have forgotten the spontaneous emission.

7. Oct 1, 2015 #6
    thanks for your replies,is there a better model for atom is new and justify these question!

8. Oct 1, 2015 #7

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The best model for atomic system to date is quantum mechanics along with quantum electrodynamics which provides fine corrections.

9. Oct 1, 2015 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please read this FAQ:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-dont-electrons-crash-into-the-nucleus-in-atoms.511179/ [Broken]

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook