An electron in atom that rotate proton, has it radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether or not an electron in an atom will radiate magnetic waves, and if so, how this affects the stability of the atom. It is noted that in classical physics, the electron would radiate waves and the atom would become unstable, but in quantum mechanics, the electron is predicted to not radiate (except when changing orbitals). The best model for understanding atomic systems is currently considered to be quantum mechanics and quantum electrodynamics.
stackprogramer
Hi dears,i have a question about atom,in classic physics ,(Bohr theory) when a electron swing away a proton it have
not radiates magnetic waves because if electron radiates magnetic wave it will drop on proton ,and atom will be Unstable!
my question is ,in quantum mechanics that uses orbitals ,default is a electron radiate magnetic waves or not radiate magnetic waves?
please answer me,thanks very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum mechanics predicts that the electron will not radiate (except when changing orbitals) so the atom will be stable.

Likes stackprogramer
This is one of the most commonly asked questions both in introductory quantum physics and in this very forum, one of our members has made a brief explanation on this issue ,see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-dont-electrons-crash-into-the-nucleus-in-atoms.511179/ , although he may not mention the energy loss due to magnetic waves (well, if a magnetic field follows temporal evolution, it should also radiate electric field wave, and hence electromagnetic wave). In reality, when the atom is stable it will not radiate EM waves as the classical physics will have predicted.

Last edited by a moderator:
blue_leaf77 said:
This is one of the most commonly asked questions both in introductory quantum physics and in this very forum, one of our members has made a brief explanation on this issue ,see https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-dont-electrons-crash-into-the-nucleus-in-atoms.511179/ , although he may not mention the energy loss due to magnetic waves (well, if a magnetic field follows temporal evolution, it should also radiate electric field wave, and hence electromagnetic wave). In reality, when the atom is stable it will not radiate EM waves as the classical physics will have predicted.

Well to be fair, the apparent stability of non-ground states is simply a fault from not quantizing the EM field. The only quantitative disagreement between CM and QM is the existence of the ground state. (and the discrete energy levels, of course)

HomogenousCow said:
the apparent stability of non-ground states is simply a fault from not quantizing the EM field.
Spontaneous emission also exists in QM, although it's more properly treated when taking QED effect into account. When saying "stable" I actually meant the eigenstate of Hamiltonian, but I seemed to have forgotten the spontaneous emission.

thanks for your replies,is there a better model for atom is new and justify these question!

The best model for atomic system to date is quantum mechanics along with quantum electrodynamics which provides fine corrections.

Likes vanhees71
stackprogramer said:
Hi dears,i have a question about atom,in classic physics ,(Bohr theory) when a electron swing away a proton it have
not radiates magnetic waves because if electron radiates magnetic wave it will drop on proton ,and atom will be Unstable!
my question is ,in quantum mechanics that uses orbitals ,default is a electron radiate magnetic waves or not radiate magnetic waves?
please answer me,thanks very much

Please read this FAQ:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-dont-electrons-crash-into-the-nucleus-in-atoms.511179/

Zz.

1. What causes an electron to rotate around a proton?

The electron's motion around the proton is due to the electrostatic attraction between the negatively charged electron and the positively charged proton. This is governed by the laws of electromagnetism.

2. Does the rotation of an electron around a proton produce radiation?

Yes, the rotation of an electron around a proton produces electromagnetic radiation in the form of photons. This is known as atomic emission and is responsible for the emission of light from atoms.

3. How does the rotation of an electron affect the stability of an atom?

The rotation of an electron around a proton creates a stable orbital structure within an atom. This allows the atom to maintain its overall stability, as the electron's motion prevents it from collapsing into the nucleus due to the strong electrostatic force.

4. Can the rotation of an electron be stopped or altered?

The rotation of an electron around a proton is determined by the energy levels of the atom, which are governed by quantum mechanics. Therefore, it is not possible to stop or alter the rotation of an electron without changing the energy levels of the atom.

5. Is the radiation produced by the rotation of an electron harmful?

The radiation produced by the rotation of an electron is in the form of photons, which are a type of electromagnetic radiation. Some forms of electromagnetic radiation can be harmful, such as ultraviolet and x-rays, but the radiation produced by electrons in atoms is generally not harmful to humans.