Solving Incline Problem Homework: Find Distance & PE

• Thread starter kokok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, the toy cart is pushed up a ramp and has an initial velocity of 6m/s. The frictional force opposing its motion is 4N and the cart reaches a distance of 4.9m before stopping. It has an increase in gravitational potential energy of 20 Joules at the point of stop.
kokok

Homework Statement

a toy cart of mass 5kg is projected up a ramp incined at 30 degree to the horizontal, with an initial velocity of 6m/s. if the frictional force opposing its motion is 4N, find the distance it travels before stopping, and its increase in gravitational potential energy at that point.

Homework Equations

F=ma
v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

so using vector, mgsin30 - 2 = ma
24.5 = 5a
a=4.9m/s^2

sub into
v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad
and i got 36/1.8 = 20 = d but it is very different from answer of the book
please help me to solve it

Physics news on Phys.org
kokok said:

Homework Statement

a toy cart of mass 5kg is projected up a ramp incined at 30 degree to the horizontal, with an initial velocity of 6m/s. if the frictional force opposing its motion is 4N, find the distance it travels before stopping, and its increase in gravitational potential energy at that point.

Homework Equations

F=ma
v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad

24.5 = 5a
a=4.9m/s^2

sub into
v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad
and i got 36/1.8 = 20 = d but it is very different from answer of the book
please help me to solve it

Why do you have that as 2? It says the force of friction is 4 N. By the way, if the cart is being pushed up the ramp, the frictional force and the gravitational force act in the same direction. So how does that change things? Did you draw a free body diagram?

kokok said:

24.5 = 5a
a=4.9m/s^2
You'll need to redo this calculation. Your initial equation is not quite right. What forces act on the cart? (Include both gravity and friction.) In which direction do those forces act? What's the net force acting on the cart?

oh thank you, now i get this question..what a silly mistake i made..

omg. it's the same problem that I am working on right now.

but i need to solve it using the concept of conservation of energy. anyone knows how?

a seeker said:
omg. it's the same problem that I am working on right now.

but i need to solve it using the concept of conservation of energy. anyone knows how?

What have you tried? Show some of your work.

What is the purpose of solving incline problem homework?

The purpose of solving incline problem homework is to apply the principles of physics, specifically mechanics, to real-life scenarios involving objects on inclined planes. By understanding how to calculate distance and potential energy in these situations, students can develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

What are the main steps for solving incline problems?

The main steps for solving incline problems include drawing a free-body diagram, breaking forces into components, applying Newton's second law, and using trigonometry to find the distance and potential energy. It is also important to clearly define the variables and units before starting to solve the problem.

What is the difference between distance and displacement in incline problems?

Distance refers to the total length traveled by an object, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between the initial and final positions. In incline problems, distance is the length of the incline, while displacement is the vertical height of the incline.

How does the angle of inclination affect the distance and potential energy in an incline problem?

The angle of inclination directly affects the distance and potential energy in an incline problem. The steeper the incline, the shorter the distance the object will travel and the greater the potential energy it will gain. This is because the angle of inclination affects the component of the force due to gravity acting on the object.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving incline problems?

Common mistakes to avoid when solving incline problems include not drawing accurate free-body diagrams, forgetting to consider all forces acting on the object, using incorrect units, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to double-check all calculations and to clearly label all variables and units to avoid these mistakes.