An inequality with absolute values

Wouldn't using the equation create a problem as you can not do everything you do to an equation to an inequality?For eg: dividing both sides by - 1I don't know what you mean by "you can not do everything you do to an equation to an inequality". That is the simplest way to solve an inequality. The only thing you have to keep in mind that the inequality does not change if you multiply or divide both sides by a positive number, but it reverses if you multiply or divide by a negative number. From |x+3|>2 you get x+3>2 or x+3<-2. The solutions of the first equation is x>-1 and the solutions of the second is
theself

Homework Statement

Solve Ix+3I>2
*I is used for absolute value notation

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering both
a) Ix+3I > 0 then Ix+3I= x+3
b) Ix+3I < 0 then Ix+3I= -(x+3)

when solved this would yield to;

a) x>-3 and x>-1
b) x<-5 and x<-3

from my general reasoning i think the answer should be x>-1 and x<-5. Why are the solutions x>-3 and x<-3 omitted? Is it because the other two include a broader range?

thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi theself, welcome to PF.

theself said:

Homework Statement

Solve Ix+3I>2

Considering both

a) x>-3 and x>-1
b) x<-5 and x<-3

from my general reasoning i think the answer should be x>-1 and x<-5. Why are the solutions x>-3 and x<-3 omitted? Is it because the other two include a broader range?

thanks for your help.

You can find an absolute value key (vertical line) on the keyboard.

So the problem is: Solve |x+3|>2

The absolute value is never negative. The two cases are x+3≥0 (x>-3) and x+3<0 (x<-3).

You wrote correctly that |x+3|=x+3 in the first case and |x+3|=-(x+3) in the second case.

In the first case, you got x>-1 if x>-3 is true. x>-1 is more strict requirement than x>-3. So x>-1 is solution.

In the second case, you got x<-5 if x<-3. x<-5 is more strict condition than x<-3 so x<-5 is solution.

"Why are the solutions x>-3 and x<-3 omitted?"

They are not solutions. Substitute x=-2 for example: (it is greater then -3). |x+3|=1 less then 2. Choose x=-4: (it is less then -3) |-4+3|=|-1|=1.

ehild

theself said:

Homework Statement

Solve Ix+3I>2
Why? Use the | character instead.
theself said:

Considering both

a) x>-3 and x>-1
b) x<-5 and x<-3
How did you get what you have just above?
|x + 3| > 2
<==> x + 3 > 2 OR x + 3 < -2
Can you take it from here?
theself said:

thanks for your help.

The simplest way to solve a general inequality is to first solve the corresponding equation. If |x+ 3|= 2 then either x+ 3= 2 or x+ 3= -2. In the first case x= -1 and in the second x= -5.

The key point here is that, since absolute value is continuous, we can go from "<" to ">", and vice-versa, only at "=". That is, the two points, -5 and -1, divide the real numbers into three intervals and on each interval only one of "<" or ">" can apply. And we need only check one point in each interval to see which.

For example, -6< -5 and |-6+3|= |-3|= 3 which is larger than 2, not less. The original inequality is false at x= -6 and so false for all x less than -5. -4 lies between -5 and -1 and |-4+3|= |-1|= 1 which is less than 2. The original inequality is true at x= -4 and so true for all x between -5 and -1. Finally, 0 is larger than -1 and |0+ 3|= |3|= 3 which is larger than 2, not less. The original inequality is false at x= 0 and so false for all x larger than -1.

By the way, every keyboard I have ever seen has a "|" just above the return key. Are you using a keyboard that doesn't?

ehild said:
In the first case, you got x>-1 if x>-3 is true. x>-1 is more strict requirement than x>-3. So x>-1 is solution.

In the second case, you got x<-5 if x<-3. x<-5 is more strict condition than x<-3 so x<-5 is solution.

ehild

Is the if condition there because we define it like that at the beginning ?

Mark44 said:
How did you get what you have just above?
|x + 3| > 2
<==> x + 3 > 2 OR x + 3 < -2
Can you take it from here?

Well, I kind of did it in a long way;
If |x+3|> 0 then |x+3|= x+3, and substituted the term (x+3) to where |x+3| is found
this gives
if x> -3, x > -1
and did the same for the other condition

HallsofIvy said:
The simplest way to solve a general inequality is to first solve the corresponding equation. If |x+ 3|= 2 then either x+ 3= 2 or x+ 3= -2. In the first case x= -1 and in the second x= -5.

Wouldn't using the equation create a problem as you can not do everything you do to an equation to an inequality?
For eg: dividing both sides by - 1

* Also I apologize for my clumsiness for not finding the key for "|"

theself said:
Is the if condition there because we define it like that at the beginning ?
I think the answer is "yes"
The result x>-1 came from the condition that x>-3. x>-3 and x>-1 are not two solutions. Those x values for which -3<x<-1 do not satisfy the original inequality. In similar way, when we supposed that x<-3 we got the result x<-5. Again, the original inequality is not true for -5<x<-3.

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is an inequality with absolute values?

An inequality with absolute values is an equation that contains an absolute value expression, such as |x|, and a comparison symbol, such as ≤ or ≥. These types of inequalities involve finding the possible values of a variable that satisfy the given equation.

2. How do you solve an inequality with absolute values?

To solve an inequality with absolute values, you must first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, you can remove the absolute value by setting up two separate equations, one with the positive value inside the absolute value and one with the negative value inside the absolute value. Solve each equation separately to find the possible values of the variable. Lastly, combine the solutions from both equations to find the final solution set.

3. What are the rules for solving inequalities with absolute values?

The rules for solving inequalities with absolute values are similar to solving regular inequalities, with a few additional steps. To solve an inequality with absolute values, you must remember to isolate the absolute value expression, set up two separate equations, and combine the solutions from both equations to find the final solution set. It is also important to remember that the final solution set must be written with the correct comparison symbol (≤ or ≥) based on the original inequality.

4. Can an inequality with absolute values have multiple solutions?

Yes, an inequality with absolute values can have multiple solutions. This is because the absolute value expression can result in both positive and negative values. When solving these types of inequalities, you will often end up with two separate equations and two separate solution sets. Therefore, the final solution set will be a combination of the solutions from both equations.

5. How do you graph an inequality with absolute values?

To graph an inequality with absolute values, you must first rewrite the equation in slope-intercept form (y = mx + b). Then, plot the y-intercept (b) on the y-axis. Next, use the slope (m) to find a second point on the line. Finally, draw a dashed line through the two points, and shade the region above or below the line based on the comparison symbol (≤ or ≥) in the original inequality. If the inequality also includes an equal sign, the line should be solid instead of dashed.