An odd coincidence or just nothing?

• Thread starter JackWilkinson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    coincidence
In summary: So it's more like (A+B)/C=S or (A+B)/C=E.In summary, Jack discovered that when you add the speed of Earth (e) to the amount of seconds it takes the Earth to orbit (o) and then divide by the speed of light (l), the result includes the speed of the Earth. He is not sure if this is just a coincidence or if there is a significance to the number 3. He is looking for feedback from others to determine if this is something he should continue investigating.
JackWilkinson
Hi this is my first post on this site and glad to be here!

Ive only really started looking into maths and physics recently and feeling pretty overwhelmed at the moment.
After reading about spacetime i was just chucking numbers around when i noticed somthing odd (to me at the time anyway). When adding the speed of the Earth (e) to the amount of seconds it takes the Earth to orbit (o) and then dividing by the speed of light (l), the result includes the speed of the earth.

486000(e) + 86400(o) / 299792458(l) = 486000.0003

Im sure its nothing or to do determining the speed of Earth but its kind of bugging me.
Is it just a random coincidence? Is the 3 of any significance?

The only reason I am asking on here is because I've looked over the internet to anything related to it and found nothing (also why its probably nothing).

Thank you for any suggestions anyone can give.

Physics news on Phys.org
JackWilkinson said:

486000(e) + 86400(o) / 299792458(l) = 486000.0003

Im sure its nothing or to do determining the speed of Earth but its kind of bugging me.
Is it just a random coincidence? Is the 3 of any significance?

Sorry to burst your bubble, Jack, but all you've discovered is that 86400/299792458 is close to .0003

- AC

XD Haha! Thank you for being frank, like i said I am a bit overwhelmed.

Im really interested in maths and physics but struggle with maths although I am determined to continue with it.

Your response has made it clear to what i was looking at so thank you.

No worrys if your not interested but is there a "simplified" way of calculating spacetime distances?
I was trying to work out the spacetime distance between two towns (im having to keep it simple for now) or is that possible at all? More to the point it included a frequent journey i make in whitch at different points i would be 'walking to bus stop''waiting for for bus''journeying on the bus''going to trainstation-getting on the train etc etc

Again, thanks for any help.

JackWilkinson said:
No worrys if your not interested but is there a "simplified" way of calculating spacetime distances?
I was trying to work out the spacetime distance between two towns (im having to keep it simple for now) or is that possible at all? More to the point it included a frequent journey i make in whitch at different points i would be 'walking to bus stop''waiting for for bus''journeying on the bus''going to trainstation-getting on the train etc etc

I'm not a physicist, Jack, but you might want to familiarize yourself with the Lorentz Factor at the very least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor

If you want to know more, maybe post a topic in the General Physics section of the site. I'd gander that folks who can explain it far better than I will be more than wiling to clarify the issues for you.

- AC

Thank you so much my friend, that's very helpfull.
I was not sure whitch forum to go on so sorry if I've caused any disruption to this one.

86400 seconds is about one day, the rotational period, not the orbital period. Orbital period would be about 31536000 s.

Speed of Earth (orbital speed) is about 29800 m/s, where are you getting 486000 and in what units? Your values need to be in the same units or include conversion factors.

You say add this to that and then divide as in (A+B)/C but the operation you present would be like A+(B/C). If the later, you end up with seconds and a unit-less number... you can't add those meaningfully.

1. Is an odd coincidence just a random occurrence?

An odd coincidence can be a random occurrence, but it can also have underlying causes or connections that are not immediately apparent. It is important to consider all possibilities and gather evidence before coming to a conclusion.

2. How do you determine if an odd coincidence is significant or not?

Determining the significance of an odd coincidence requires careful observation and analysis. This may involve collecting data, comparing it to expected or random outcomes, and considering any potential underlying factors that could contribute to the coincidence.

3. Can an odd coincidence have a scientific explanation?

Yes, an odd coincidence can have a scientific explanation. As scientists, we look for evidence and logical explanations for observed phenomena. While some coincidences may seem inexplicable, there could be underlying causes that can be explained through scientific principles.

4. Are there any psychological factors that contribute to our perception of odd coincidences?

Yes, our perception of odd coincidences can be influenced by various psychological factors such as confirmation bias, hindsight bias, and the availability heuristic. These biases can lead us to see patterns or connections where none exist, and can affect our interpretation of coincidences.

5. How do odd coincidences impact scientific research and discoveries?

Odd coincidences can sometimes lead to new scientific discoveries or insights. They can also challenge existing theories and prompt scientists to investigate further. However, it is important for scientists to approach coincidences with caution and consider all possible explanations before drawing conclusions.