Uncovering an Odd Google Result: Searching with Name & "Harley Davidson

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of using Google to search for a thread by including one's name and a keyword. The participants also question whether Google is linking to previous searches or if it is based on their browsing history. One participant mentions that they regularly clear cookies and files, but Google still links to the previous search with highlighted keywords. The other participant shares that they have not personally searched for the keyword "Harley Davidson" and yet Google still shows the correct thread with the highlighted keyword.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sometimes I find it easiest to search for a thread by Googling my name + something that I remember posting. For some reason this seems to work better than using the thread title sometimes.

Quite some time ago...at least months, and I am quite certain that this was on my old computer, I googled my name and "Harley Davidson" to find the "What was it?" thread in the General Discussion forum. Just now I wanted the thread again, but I googled "What was it" and my name. The hit that resulted was correct, but when I looked at the address, it had the thread address + highlight "Harley Davidson"!

What the hell...? Google knew who I was and linked to the previous search? Is this possible? Or must it be that I have made this search [using Harley] on this computer? But even if so, I clear cookies and files regularly.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Was it strictly the name "Ivan Seeking" that made the link? But if so, why was only Harley Davidson highlighted?

it doesn't know its you, i get the "showthread.php?t=18777&highlight=Harley+Davidson"
too.

and i haven't ever searched Harley Davidson.

What is the process for uncovering an odd Google result when searching with a specific name and "Harley Davidson"?

The first step is to enter the name and "Harley Davidson" into the Google search bar. Then, carefully review the search results and click on any links that seem relevant. If the odd result is not immediately apparent, try changing the search terms or using quotation marks around the name to narrow down the results. It may also be helpful to use advanced search filters or check different pages of the search results.

Why might an odd Google result appear when searching with a specific name and "Harley Davidson"?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. It could be a coincidence that the name and "Harley Davidson" appear together on a website or in an article. It could also be a case of mistaken identity, where the name is similar to that of a famous person or company. Additionally, it could be a deliberate attempt at manipulation or clickbait by the website owner.

How can you determine if an odd Google result is legitimate or not?

The best way to determine the legitimacy of an odd Google result is to carefully examine the website or article it is linked to. Look for any signs of bias or false information, and check the credibility of the source. It may also be helpful to do additional research on the topic or contact the website owner for clarification.

What should you do if you come across an odd Google result that seems inappropriate or offensive?

If you encounter an odd Google result that is inappropriate or offensive, you can report it to Google for review. On the search results page, click on the three dots next to the result and select "Report inappropriate content." You can also use the "Send feedback" option at the bottom of the page to report the result.

Are there any precautions you should take when searching with a specific name and "Harley Davidson" to avoid odd results?

To avoid odd results when searching with a specific name and "Harley Davidson," it may be helpful to use quotation marks around the name to narrow down the results. You can also use advanced search filters to exclude certain words or phrases. It may also be beneficial to do additional research on the name and its associations before conducting the search.