Analogue Frequency of Band-limited signal (Discrete Fourier Transform)

In summary: Again, the index is not the frequency, but rather, the index is a multiple of the frequency. And yes, fk does equal 120*(20,000/1000) = 120*(20) = 2400 Hz. In summary, the question is asking for the analogue frequency that corresponds to the index k = 120, which is the 120th frequency element in the DFT of N = 1000 samples of a signal x(n) that is band-limited to 10 kHz and sampled at a frequency of 20 kHz. This can be calculated using the general formula fk = k*(fs/N), where fs is the sampling frequency and N is the number of samples. For k =
zaka
Hi, I have the following question:

A signal x(t) which is band-limited to 10kHz is sampled with a sampling frequency of 20kHz. The DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform) of N= 1000 samples of x(n) is then computed. To what analogue frequency does the index k=120 respond to?

I'm trying to relate the above to a previous worked example that I encountered, the question was similar as follows:
The sampling frequency, is fs = 120 Hz. The DFT of N=6 samples. To what analogue frequency does the index
k=1 correspond to? What about index k=5 ?

For k =1
fk = k (fs / N)
= (1)*(120/6) = 20Hz

For k=5
fk = (k-N)*(fs / N)
= (5-6)*(120/6) = -20Hz

Why for k=5 was k subtracted from N. Is there a general forumla for this sort of question?

And what does this mean for the question I'm trying to resolve?
Is fk for that = 120*(2000/1000)

or fk for that = (120-1000)*(2000/1000)

or something else completely?

Any help would be much appriciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
zaka said:
Hi, I have the following question:

A signal x(t) which is band-limited to 10kHz is sampled with a sampling frequency of 20kHz. The DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform) of N= 1000 samples of x(n) is then computed. To what analogue frequency does the index k=120 respond to?I'm trying to relate the above to a previous worked example that I encountered, the question was similar as follows:
The sampling frequency, is fs = 120 Hz. The DFT of N=6 samples. To what analogue frequency does the index
k=1 correspond to? What about index k=5 ?

For k =1
fk = k (fs / N)
= (1)*(120/6) = 20Hz

For k=5
fk = (k-N)*(fs / N)
= (5-6)*(120/6) = -20Hz

Why for k=5 was k subtracted from N.
For a discrete-time signal x[n], the DFT of that signal, F[k] is not only discrete, but also periodic.*

Let's step back a little, and allow me to use an analogy. Imagine a continuous function that can be expressed as a function of an angle θ, like f(θ). It doesn't change anything if you add 2π to θ; subtract 2π from θ; or add any integer multiple of 2π to θ, be it positive or negative. The location of f at θ = -10 deg is the same location as f at θ = -10 + 360 deg, which is the same as θ = -10 + 720 deg, or even θ = -10 -360 deg. It's all the same thing. 350 degrees is the same as 350 - 360 deg = -10 deg.

Similarly, F[k] is also periodic with a period of N. Add or subtract any integer multiple of N, positive or negative to k, and you get the same result. In other words,

F[k] = F[k + mN],

where m is any integer.

So, specific to your example, subtracting N from k (which is the same thing as adding -N to k) is analogous to computing that 350 deg = 350 + -360 deg = -10 deg.

*(As a matter of fact, there is a sort-of assumption that x[n] is also periodic. In practice, the original signal is not necessarily periodic, but when the DFT is taken, the mathematics assume that x[n] is periodic with a period of N times the sample time. It is for this reason why the time-based sample data is commonly windowed with a Hamming window or Hanning window [or some other type of window] prior to taking the DFT. But that's another story, and I won't get into that here.)

Is there a general forumla for this sort of question?
Yes there is! :smile:

(But I don't want to give it to you. You can figure this out yourself.)

Actually, you may have to break things up into different cases though. It's one of those, "if this, use this formula, otherwise use this other one over here" sort of thing.

In the process, it might help to break F[k] into sections. Let's restrict ourselves to k = 0 to k = N-1.

F[0] is always the DC component (corresponding to 0 Hz).

F[N/2] is the Nyquist frequency element, if N is an even number. (If N is an odd number, there is no Nyquist frequency element, and the Nyquist frequency is in between a couple of elements.

The lower half of F[k] (k: 0 < k < N/2]) represent positive frequency elements.

The upper half of F[k] (k: N/2 < k < N]) represent negative frequency elements. They start out as large, negative frequency elements and end at small negative frequency elements.

And what does this mean for the question I'm trying to resolve?
Is fk for that = 120*(2000/1000)

or fk for that = (120-1000)*(2000/1000)
(Boldface mine.)

I assume you mean 20,000 as opposed to 2000.

Given that correction, they're technically both right! :smile:
[Edit: Well, they are both correct from a purely mathematical viewpoint. But arguably, only one of them is correct from a more practical point of view.]

But there's no need in subtracting off N from k as you did in your second choice. 120 is less than 1000/2, meaning k is below the Nyquist frequency index, and represents a positive frequency.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of the analogue frequency of a band-limited signal?

The analogue frequency of a band-limited signal refers to the range of frequencies that the signal contains. It is a continuous range of frequencies that can be represented by an infinite number of points on a graph.

2. How is the analogue frequency of a band-limited signal calculated?

The analogue frequency of a band-limited signal is calculated by taking the highest frequency component of the signal and multiplying it by 2. This is known as the Nyquist frequency and represents the maximum frequency that can be accurately represented by a discrete signal.

3. What is the significance of the analogue frequency in signal processing?

The analogue frequency is significant in signal processing because it determines the sampling rate needed to accurately represent the signal. If the sampling rate is too low, the signal will be distorted and important frequency components may be lost. The Nyquist sampling rate is considered the minimum sampling rate needed to accurately represent a band-limited signal.

4. How does the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) relate to the analogue frequency of a band-limited signal?

The Discrete Fourier Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a discrete signal into its corresponding analogue frequency representation. It allows us to analyze the frequency components of a signal and understand its composition. The DFT is based on the principles of sampling and the Nyquist frequency.

5. Can the analogue frequency of a band-limited signal be higher than the Nyquist frequency?

No, the analogue frequency of a band-limited signal cannot be higher than the Nyquist frequency. This is because the Nyquist frequency represents the maximum frequency that can be accurately represented by a discrete signal. Any frequency components above the Nyquist frequency will be folded back and appear as lower frequencies in the discrete signal, causing distortion.