Analysing a 3D truss problem

• Thread starter La82
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Truss
In summary, to analyze this 3D truss problem, you will need to define the structure, analyze the forces, and solve for the unknown displacements using matrix methods.
La82

Homework Statement

I am trying to analyse a 3D truss problem (attached). The idea is that when you pull with a force F in the direction of the arrows, the pin in the middle will be pressed downwards, decreasing the length of p2. In general the overall structure will be consistent of a series of these in both directions.

I am having some difficulties getting started with this. As far as I can tell I should be ok to only analyse the section shown in the bottom picture?

Homework Equations

I wish to get some sort of solution that relates the length L1 and L2 to p1 and p2.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt at this is to use simple statics in 3D:

Point at top of pin:
Sum(F_y) = 0
0 = - F_(BE) - F*sin(Beta)*2 (symetry)

Sum(M_top) = 0
0 = - F * sin(Beta)*2*p_1 + F*cos(Beta)*A_1-F*cos(Beta)*A_1+F*sin(Beta)*2p_2

So something clearly goes wrong here since I just end up with p1 = p2?

Can anyone help me in the right direction?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 10.03.50 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-31 at 10.03.50 PM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 468
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance! The solution to this problem can be found by using a 3D truss analysis. The first step is to define the structure as a set of nodes and elements. Each node will be assigned a set of coordinates (x, y, z) and each element will be defined by two nodes and the length between them. The next step is to analyze the forces acting on each element. This can be done by finding the force vector acting on each element, which will be the force due to the external load (F) multiplied by the unit vector of the element. Once the forces are determined, they can be used to calculate the reaction forces at the nodes.The last step is to solve for the unknown displacements of the nodes. This can be done by setting up a system of equations for the unknown variables (displacements) and solving it using matrix methods. Once the displacements are known, the final lengths of the elements can be calculated. This will give you the solution that relates the length L1 and L2 to p1 and p2.

1. How do you determine the forces acting on each member of a 3D truss?

To determine the forces acting on each member of a 3D truss, you can use equations of equilibrium and solve for the unknown forces. This involves setting up a system of equations based on the geometry of the truss and the applied loads.

2. What are the key assumptions made when analysing a 3D truss problem?

The key assumptions made when analysing a 3D truss problem include: all members are connected by frictionless pins, all loads are applied at the joints, and the truss is loaded only at the joints.

3. How do you determine the reactions at the supports of a 3D truss?

To determine the reactions at the supports of a 3D truss, you can use the equations of equilibrium and solve for the unknown forces. This involves considering the external forces and moments acting on the truss and setting up a system of equations to solve for the reactions at the supports.

4. What are the different methods for analysing a 3D truss?

The different methods for analysing a 3D truss include the method of joints, the method of sections, and the method of tension coefficients. Each method has its advantages and is suitable for different types of truss problems.

5. How do you account for the effects of member weight in a 3D truss analysis?

To account for the effects of member weight in a 3D truss analysis, you can use the method of tension coefficients. This involves considering the weight of each member and incorporating it into the equations of equilibrium to determine the internal forces in the truss members.