1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Analysis of the entropy S of an arbritary system can be written as a power series?

1. Sep 12, 2017 #1
    Is it ok to assume that the entropy ##S## of an arbritary system can be written as a power series as a function of the system's internal energy ##U##? Like

$$S(U) = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}a_iU^i = a_1 U + a_2 U^2 + \ ...$$ with ##a_i \in \mathbb{R}##.
    What results could be obtained from such expression? For instance, if the temperature could be defined as ##T = (dS / dU)^{-1}##, then we have an interesting result if ##|U| <<1## and we neglect terms higher than power one in the expansion above. In other words, in such a case we would have ##T = (dS / dU)^{-1} = 1 / a_1## i.e. constant temperature.

On the other hand, if ##U## takes on considerable values, then the entropy would increase exponentially, like ##S(U) \propto e^U##, and of course, the temperature would be ##T \propto 1 / e^U##.

The ##U## above perhaps could be the normalized original ##U##, i.e. the original internal energy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2017 #2
    If ##S(E)## is a well defined function then technically yes but it often isn't. Also both ##S## and ##U## must be made dimensionless here for this to make any sense.
    You would have constant temperature near ##U=0## but depending on the value of the a's this could rapidly blow up even after adding a small amount of energy i.e. if ##a_{2}=10^{20}##.
    Why?

4. Sep 13, 2017 #3
    Because the expression for ##S(U)## becomes similar to that of the exponential function, apart from the ##1/n!## and the first term of the latter.

5. Sep 13, 2017 #4
    Isn't S a function of two thermodynamic variables, not just U? Doesn't the same go for U?

6. Sep 13, 2017 #5
    What would be such two variables? I'm assuming that it's a function only of ##U##.

7. Sep 13, 2017 #6
    It's not. The thermodynamic equilibrium state of a single phase constant composition material is determined by two independent thermodynamic variables. For S, it could be represented as a function of U and V. At constant U, S changes with V. So, in your expansion, all the a's would be functions of V.

8. Sep 13, 2017 #7
    Not necessarily, it depends what the values of ##a_{n}## are. If these coefficients are very different from ##1/n!## then the series will be a very different from an exponential function.
    ##S## is actually a function of three variables; these could be ##S(N,V,E)##, ##S(N,V,T)##, ##S(V,T,\mu)##, ##S(N,P,T)##, or ##S(N,P,H)##. We can always devise a system where two of the variables are fixed and only one is allowed to vary. As you said, this would require the coefficients would take the form ##a_{n}(V,N)## or whatever other two variables are of interest.

9. Sep 13, 2017 #8
    Yes. I was trying to keep it as simple as possible for the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted