1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis problem. please help

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let S' be the unit circle, C the set of complex numbers, R the set of real numbers, ||f|| = sqrt[integral(f^2) from -pi to pi] (the length or norm of f)

find a function f: S'->C (so f is 2-pi periodic) and a sequence of functions {f_n}:R->C so that
    ||f-f_n|| converges to 0 but we dont have f_n(x) converging to f(x) for ANY x in S'

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i was thinking of (-1)^n for f_n, and 0=f(x), but then ||f-f_n|| converges to 1, not 0

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are right. (-1)^n doesn't work. You want a step type function whose center keeps oscillating over the interval [-pi,pi] while it's diameter keeps shrinking.

4. Jun 3, 2009 #3
    if its diameter keeps shrinking, then its limit will approach 0, hence not satisfying the 2nd part of the problem where it can't approach 0 for ANY x

5. Jun 3, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let c(I)(x) be the characteristic function for an interval I (i.e. c(I)(x)=1 for x in I, 0 otherwise). Suppose I want such a sequence of functions on the interval [0,1] instead of S'. Pick f_1=c([0,1/2]), f_2=c([1/2,1]), f_3=c([0,1/3]), f_4=c([1/3,2/3]), f_5=c([2/3,1]), f_6=c([0,1/4])... Let f=0.

6. Jun 3, 2009 #5
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook