Thermodynamic Cycles: Understanding Energy Balance and Work-Energy Relations

In summary: I: In summary, you must apply the first law to find the work done by the system in order to solve for the internal energy.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Photo12.jpg

I have filled in a couple of spots as seen below, but I am a little confused as to how to proceed. If I get a good hint on one, I am sure the rest will follow. I think I am overlooking something obvious here.

I know that in a cyclic process, all E (internal) will sum to zero. Does anything else sum to zero?

Homework Equations

Energy Balance equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Photo14.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? :smile:

Nobody!?

Q

You have to apply the first law:

[tex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + W[/tex] where W is the work done BY the system.

I am not sure what [itex]\Delta E[/itex] in the tables refers to. Is it the total change in mechanical energy of the system (eg. a piston)?

For 1-2 and 2-3, [itex]W = \Delta Q - \Delta U[/itex] = ?
For 3-4, [itex]\Delta Q = \Delta U + W[/itex] = ?

For 4-1, since we know that this is a cycle, what is the sum of all the [itex]\Delta U[/itex]s from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and 4-1? That will tell you what [itex]\Delta U[/itex] from 4-1 is.

AM

It's the total change in energy (kE+Pe+U). Thanks for the hint! I completely overlooked that! The First law says that the change in

internal Energy=Q-W

So that would mean that my work for 1-2 was found incorrectly eh?

Last edited:
Saladsamurai said:
It's the total change in energy (kE+Pe+U). Thanks for the hint! I completely overlooked that! The First law says that the change in

internal Energy=Q-W

So that would mean that my work for 1-2 was found incorrectly eh?
Right. I am still not sure what is meant by PE and KE and how it differs from [itex]\Delta U[/itex] and W. If the system is using a piston, say, to lift a weight, the gain in PE is the increase in gravitational potential energy. But this is also a measure of the work done by the system.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Right. I am still not sure what is meant by PE and KE and how it differs from [itex]\Delta U[/itex] and W. If the system is using a piston, say, to lift a weight, the gain in PE is the increase in gravitational potential energy. But this is also a measure of the work done by the system.

AM

The internal energy (U) is the energy associated with the molecular structure of a system and the degree of molecular activity. The kinetic energy (KE) exists as a result of the system’s motion relative to an external reference frame. The energy that a system possesses as a result of its elevation in a gravitational field relative to the external reference frame is the potential energy (PE). The sum of these is the total energy (E) of the system.

Most closed systems remain stationary during a process, thus, experience no change in their kinetic and potential energies. In this case the change in the stored energy is identical to the change in internal energy for stationary systems.

Heat (Q) and work (W) differ in the fact that they are transport mechanisms for energy across a system boundary (i.e. between the system and its surroundings). Systems possesses energy, but not heat or work.

CS

What is a thermodynamic cycle?

A thermodynamic cycle is a series of processes where energy is transferred to and from a system. It involves the conversion of heat to work and back to heat, in order to produce a desired effect.

What are the main types of thermodynamic cycles?

The three main types of thermodynamic cycles are the Carnot cycle, the Otto cycle, and the Rankine cycle. These cycles are commonly used in engineering, power generation, and refrigeration systems.

What is the purpose of analyzing a thermodynamic cycle?

The purpose of analyzing a thermodynamic cycle is to determine its efficiency, performance, and potential improvements. This can help in designing more efficient systems and optimizing energy usage.

What are the key parameters to consider when analyzing a thermodynamic cycle?

The key parameters to consider when analyzing a thermodynamic cycle include the temperature and pressure at different points in the cycle, the amount of heat added or removed, and the work done by the system.

How can the efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle be improved?

The efficiency of a thermodynamic cycle can be improved by increasing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs, reducing energy losses, and using more efficient components and processes.