Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyzing Bell's inequality for different measurement angles

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying get a better understanding of Bell's inequality in the form
    $$\left|E\left(\bf{a},\bf{b}\right) -E\left(\bf{a},\bf{c}\right)\right|\leq 1+E\left(\bf{b},\bf{c}\right)\enspace.$$
    I'm considering the Bell state
    $$\left|\psi\right\rangle= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(\left|+\right\rangle_1\left|-\right\rangle_2- \left|-\right\rangle_1\left|+\right\rangle_2\right)\enspace.$$
    and the expectation value ##E^{qt}## of the product of the result of a measurement of spin 1 in direction ##\bf{a}## and spin 2 in direction ##\bf{b}##
    $$E^{qt}\left(\bf{a},\bf{b}\right)= \left\langle\psi\right|\vec{\sigma_1} \cdot\bf{a}\otimes \vec{\sigma_2} \cdot\bf{b} \left|\psi\right\rangle=-\bf{a}\cdot\bf{b}$$
    which is a straigthforward calculation. I'm using the notation from 1.5.1 in
    http://www.uibk.ac.at/exphys/photonik/people/gwdiss.pdf
    which is, however, in German.

We can violate the inequality by choosing e.g. ##\bf{a}=e_x##, ##\bf{b}=\left(e_x+e_z\right)/\sqrt{2}##, ##\bf{c}=e_z## which yields
    $$\left|-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}-0\right|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\leq 1-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$$
    which is obviously wrong. I think this choice of vectors also maximally violates the inequality.

However, if we choose ##\bf{a}=e_x##, ##\bf{b}=e_y##, ##\bf{c}=e_z##, then we get
    $$\left|0-0\right|\leq 1-0$$
    so the inequality is valid. I now wanted to find out exactly when the inequality breaks down and interpolated by choosing ##\bf{a}=e_x##, ##\bf{b}=\cos{\phi}\cdot e_y+\sin{\phi}\cdot \left(e_x+e_z\right)/\sqrt{2}##, ##\bf{c}=e_z## with ##0\leq\phi\leq\pi/2##. Plugging this in we get
    $$\left|-\frac{\sin{\phi}}{\sqrt{2}}-0\right|=\frac{\sin{\phi}}{\sqrt{2}}\leq 1-\frac{\sin{\phi}}{\sqrt{2}}$$
    and solving for equality yields ##\phi=\pi/4##.

So far so good, since the Bell inequality is valid for ##0\leq\phi\leq\pi/4##, there should be a local-realistic description of the system for these values of ##\phi##. Hence there must be a separable, most probably mixed density operator that yields the same expectation values as ##\left|\psi\right\rangle## for these choices of measurement angles. How can I find this density operator? I'm interested in its structure, and how it breaks down when crossing the magic angle ##\phi=\pi/4## from below.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    That's not exactly what I want, I'm trying to construct an explicitly non-entangled (separable, can be written as a convex combination of product states) density operator for the measurement directions I mentioned.

5. Oct 17, 2013 #4
    Isn't Professor Werner using a product state in the article above?

6. Oct 17, 2013 #5
  7. Oct 18, 2013 #6

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I may be connecting two incompatible concepts, but are you simply noticing the pi/4 intersection points of the correlation curves for entangled vs classical systems? Look at the graph on this page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_theorem

8. Oct 18, 2013 #7

jfizzix

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Prof. Werner is using a state which is a mixture of the of the maximally mixed state (the identity matrix) and the matrix representing a swap between systems.

This swap operator on [itex]\psi^{A}\otimes\psi^{B}[/itex] would give you [itex]\psi^{B}\otimes\psi^{A}[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook