Angle between line and the axis

In summary: Can you confirm that you have meant the angle marked with a '?' in the diagram as angle Z?'h' is the space diagonal in the cube shown above. When the space diagonal is projected onto the XZ plane, projected line is at an angle Ø1 with the Z-axis. Similarly, when the space diagonal is projected onto the YZ plane, projected line is at angle Ø2 with the Z-axis. Now, look at the right angled triangle formed by the sides 'a', 'd' and 'h'. What is the the true angle of the space diagonal with the Z-axis in the plane of the right angled triangle?When I use the above formula, I
karthikS
Consider a 3D straight line passing through z-axis. Following two angles are given (available):

(1) Angle of the line with the z-axis in X-Z plane
(2) Angle of the line with the z-axis in Y-Z plane

I want to know the true angle of the line with the z-axis, i.e.,the angle of the line with z-axis in the plane passing through the line and z-axis.View attachment 7971

Attachments

• cuboid1.png
    cuboid1.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
karthikS said:
Consider a 3D straight line passing through z-axis. Following two angles are given (available):

(1) Angle of the line with the z-axis in X-Z plane
(2) Angle of the line with the z-axis in Y-Z plane

I want to know the true angle of the line with the z-axis, i.e.,the angle of the line with z-axis in the plane passing through the line and z-axis.

Hi karthikS, welcome to MHB!

Can it be that you mean the angle of the line with the X-Z plane?
Respectively the angle with the Y-Z plane?
Because we can take an angle of a line either with respect to another line, or with respect to a plane.

If so, then let $\angle X\text-Z$ and $\angle Y\text-Z$ be those angles.
And let $\angle Z$ be the angle with the z-axis.

Then:
$$\angle Z = \arccos \sqrt{1-\sin(\angle Y\text-Z)^2-\sin(\angle X\text-Z)^2} \tag 1$$

This follows from the vector project formula, and how angles of lines and planes are defined.
That is, let $\mathbf{\hat a}$ be a direction vector along the line with length 1.
And let $\mathbf{\hat x}$, $\mathbf{\hat y}$, and $\mathbf{\hat z}$ be the standard coordinate vectors (of length 1).
Then:
\begin{cases}
\sin\angle Y\text-Z = \mathbf{\hat a}\cdot \mathbf{\hat x} = a_x \\
\sin\angle X\text-Z = \mathbf{\hat a}\cdot \mathbf{\hat y} = a_y \\
\cos\angle Z = \mathbf{\hat a}\cdot \mathbf{\hat z} = a_z \\
\sqrt{a_x^2+a_y^2+a_z^2} = 1 \tag 2
\end{cases}
From (2) we can find (1).

Since I do not know how familiar you are with these kind of manipulations, please let us know if any step is unclear.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
Hi karthikS, welcome to MHB!

Can it be that you mean the angle of the line with the X-Z plane?
Respectively the angle with the Y-Z plane?
Because we can take an angle of a line either with respect to another line, or with respect to a plane.

If so, then let $\angle X\text-Z$ and $\angle Y\text-Z$ be those angles.
And let $\angle Z$ be the angle with the z-axis.

Then:
$$\angle Z = \arccos \sqrt{1-\arcsin(\angle Y\text-Z)^2-\arcsin(\angle X\text-Z)^2} \tag 1$$

This follows from the vector project formula, and how angles of lines and planes are defined.
That is, let $\mathbf{\hat a}$ be a direction vector along the line with length 1.
And let $\mathbf{\hat x}$, $\mathbf{\hat y}$, and $\mathbf{\hat z}$ be the standard coordinate vectors (of length 1).
Then:
\begin{cases}
\sin\angle Y\text-Z = \mathbf{\hat a}\cdot \mathbf{\hat x} = a_x \\
\sin\angle X\text-Z = \mathbf{\hat a}\cdot \mathbf{\hat y} = a_y \\
\cos\angle Z = \mathbf{\hat a}\cdot \mathbf{\hat z} = a_z \\
\sqrt{a_x^2+a_y^2+a_z^2} = 1 \tag 2
\end{cases}
From (2) we can find (1).

Since I do not know how familiar you are with these kind of manipulations, please let us know if any step is unclear.

Have you meant 'arcsin' inside the square root, or it is simply 'sin'?

karthikS said:
Have you meant 'arcsin' inside the square root, or it is simply 'sin'?

Yes. Sorry. I meant sine.
Fixed in my previous post.

I like Serena said:
Yes. Sorry. I meant sine.
Fixed in my previous post.

Can you confirm that you have meant the angle marked with a '?' in the diagram as angle Z?View attachment 7981

'h' is the space diagonal in the cube shown above. When the space diagonal is projected onto the XZ plane, projected line is at an angle Ø1 with the Z-axis. Similarly, when the space diagonal is projected onto the YZ plane, projected line is at angle Ø2 with the Z-axis.

Now, look at the right angled triangle formed by the sides 'a', 'd' and 'h'. What is the the true angle of the space diagonal with the Z-axis in the plane of the right angled triangle?

When I use the above formula, I am not getting correct results. In a cube, when the space diagonal is projected on to the two planes, I have the 45 degrees on both Ø1 and Ø2. With the formula, I am getting 90 degrees, which is not true.
View attachment 7982View attachment 7983

Attachments

• cube_45.PNG
    cube_45.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 53
  • download.png
    download.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 56
  • WNt8J.png
    WNt8J.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 56

1. What is the angle between a line and the axis?

The angle between a line and the axis is the angle formed between the line and the horizontal or vertical axis, usually measured in degrees or radians.

2. How do you find the angle between a line and the axis?

To find the angle between a line and the axis, you can use trigonometric functions such as tangent, sine, or cosine. The formula for finding the angle depends on the given values of the line's coordinates.

3. What is the difference between acute and obtuse angles between a line and the axis?

An acute angle between a line and the axis is less than 90 degrees, while an obtuse angle is greater than 90 degrees. Acute angles are formed when the line is closer to the axis, while obtuse angles are formed when the line is farther away from the axis.

4. Can the angle between a line and the axis be negative?

Yes, the angle between a line and the axis can be negative. This occurs when the line is below the horizontal axis or to the left of the vertical axis. The angle is still measured in the counterclockwise direction, but its value will be negative.

5. Why is the angle between a line and the axis important in mathematics?

The angle between a line and the axis is important in mathematics as it helps us understand the orientation and direction of a line in a coordinate system. It is also used in solving problems involving trigonometric functions and finding the slope of a line.