What Is the Correct Angle Between Vectors a and c?

nafisanazlee
Homework Statement
Let a = 2i + j - 2k, b = i + j and c be a vector such that |c-a| = 3, | (a x b) x c| = 3 and the angle between c and a x b is 30°. Then, a.c is equal to?
Relevant Equations
a.b = |a||b|cosθ
|a×b| = |a||b|sinθ
The solution to the question is attached herewith. I approached in the exact same way and got |c| = 2. Then I thought like this:
the angle between a and a×b is 90°, and the angle between c and a×b is 30° (given). So one of the possibilities is, the angle between a and c is 90-30=60° degree. |a| = 3, and a.c gives me 2.3.cos60° = 3, which is not the correct answer. My question is, am I wrong in some way? Or the question has some problem in it?
1.PNG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide us your detailed reasoning on why you think that the angle between a and c is 60 degrees?.

By the way you infer that it is 60 degrees it seems to me that you assume that the vectors a, axb and c are all belonging on the same plane but this is not the case. According to standard euclidean geometry two vectors always belong in the same plane, but three vectors dont always do that.

Likes PhDeezNutz, SammyS and nafisanazlee
nafisanazlee said:
Then I thought like this:
the angle between a and a×b is 90°, and the angle between c and a×b is 30° (given). So one of the possibilities is, the angle between a and c is 90-30=60° degree.
There's a flaw in your logic. The cross product a×b defines a vector that is perpendicular to the plane in which a and b lie. The fact that c makes an angle of 30° doesn't necessarily mean that c makes an angle of 60° with either a or b, only that it makes this angle with the plane that a and b lie in.

Likes PhDeezNutz and nafisanazlee
Mark44 said:
There's a flaw in your logic. The cross product a×b defines a vector that is perpendicular to the plane in which a and b lie. The fact that c makes an angle of 30° doesn't necessarily mean that c makes an angle of 60° with either a or b, only that it makes this angle with the plane that a and b lie in.
got it, thanks!

Delta2 said:
Can you provide us your detailed reasoning on why you think that the angle between a and c is 60 degrees?.

By the way you infer that it is 60 degrees it seems to me that you assume that the vectors a, axb and c are all belonging on the same plane but this is not the case. According to standard euclidean geometry two vectors always belong in the same plane, but three vectors dont always do that.
Thank you! got it.

1. How do you calculate the angle between two vectors?

To calculate the angle between two vectors, you can use the dot product formula: θ = cos^(-1)((A • B) / (|A| * |B|)), where A and B are the two vectors in question.

2. What is the range of values for the angle between vectors?

The angle between two vectors can range from 0 degrees to 180 degrees. If the angle is 0 degrees, the vectors are parallel, and if the angle is 180 degrees, the vectors are anti-parallel.

3. How do you determine if two vectors are orthogonal?

Two vectors are orthogonal if the angle between them is 90 degrees. In other words, their dot product is zero: A • B = 0.

4. Can the angle between vectors be negative?

No, the angle between vectors is always a positive value between 0 and 180 degrees. Negative angles do not make sense in the context of vector geometry.

5. What is the relationship between the angle between vectors and their direction?

The angle between vectors determines their relative direction. If the angle is acute (less than 90 degrees), the vectors are pointing towards each other. If the angle is obtuse (greater than 90 degrees), the vectors are pointing away from each other. A right angle (90 degrees) signifies perpendicularity.