Angle Calculation for Car-Truck Collision

In summary, a blue car with mass 431 kg and speed 19 m/s collides with a purple truck with mass 1298 kg and speed 12 m/s, resulting in a locked-together collision. To find the angle of travel after the collision, we can use the principle of adding momentum vectors and then taking the inverse tangent of the resultant's components.
aszymans
Car Truck Collisins w/ ANGLES!

Homework Statement

A blue car with mass mc = 431 kg is moving east with a speed of vc = 19 m/s and collides with a purple truck with mass mt = 1298 kg that is moving south with a speed of vt = 12 m/s . The two collide and lock together after the collision.

Homework Equations

What is the angle that the car-truck combination travel after the collision? (give your answer as an angle South of East

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, something to do with adding the vectors. I just don't know how to incorporate the angle

Physics news on Phys.org

aszymans said:

Homework Statement

A blue car with mass mc = 431 kg is moving east with a speed of vc = 19 m/s and collides with a purple truck with mass mt = 1298 kg that is moving south with a speed of vt = 12 m/s . The two collide and lock together after the collision.

Homework Equations

What is the angle that the car-truck combination travel after the collision? (give your answer as an angle South of East

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea, something to do with adding the vectors. I just don't know how to incorporate the angle

You will be adding the momentum vectors - so start by using mass and velocity for each vehicle to get the momentum of each.

NOTE: These questions are really frustrating in the masses used [not your fault].
The minimum weight of a Formula 1 racing car [a glorified go-cart] is 640 kg. The idea of having a car of mass 431 kg is fanciful.
A modern Small car has a mass around 1000 kg, and even a small truck will have a mass around 3000 kg.

Which principle do you think we usually use in a collision problem?

grzz said:
Which principle do you think we usually use in a collision problem?

I'm assuming that was rhetorical. :P

I think you should just find the resultant of the momentum vectors, and then arctan[(y-component)/(x-component)] (components of resultant) should give you the angle.

I was encouraging the original poster to a better attemp!

Right. Sorry.

Related to Angle Calculation for Car-Truck Collision

What causes car-truck collisions?

Car-truck collisions can be caused by a variety of factors such as distracted driving, speeding, tailgating, failing to yield, and mechanical issues with either vehicle.

What are some common angles involved in car-truck collisions?

Some common angles involved in car-truck collisions include head-on collisions, side-impact collisions, rear-end collisions, and T-bone collisions.

How can the severity of a car-truck collision be determined?

The severity of a car-truck collision can be determined by factors such as the speed of the vehicles, the angle of impact, the size and weight of the vehicles, and the condition of the vehicles before the collision.

What are some safety measures that can help prevent car-truck collisions?

Some safety measures that can help prevent car-truck collisions include following traffic laws, maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, avoiding distractions while driving, and ensuring that both the car and truck are in good working condition.

How can technology be used to reduce car-truck collisions?

Technology such as automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning systems, and blind spot detection can be used to reduce car-truck collisions by alerting drivers of potential hazards and assisting in avoiding collisions.