Angle of a semicircle on a ramp

In summary, the semicylinder of mass m and radius r, with ϕ = 10∘ and μs = 0.3, is on a rough inclined plane. The semicylinder does not slide down the plane, and the angle of tip θ of its base AB can be calculated using the law of sines.
stewood

Homework Statement

The semicylinder of mass m and radius r lies on the rough inclined plane for which ϕ = 10∘ and the coefficient of static friction is μs = 0.3. Determine if the semicylinder slides down the plane, and if not, find the angle of tip θ of its base AB

Homework Equations

f=uN

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this requires some weird trigonemetry... I already calculated that the cylinder does not slide down but I cannot calculate the angle of theta
upload_2015-11-20_8-51-14.png
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
stewood said:
but I cannot calculate the angle of theta
What did you try so far?
What do you know about equilibrium positions?

Your drawing of the forces could be a little more accurate. Where will the line of action of the normal force intersect AB?

mfb said:
What did you try so far?
What do you know about equilibrium positions?
I've tried a few different triangles, but I can't figure it out. I know nothing about equilibrium positions.

haruspex said:
Your drawing of the forces could be a little more accurate. Where will the line of action of the normal force intersect AB?
How can I calculate that?

Never mind, I figured it out. In case your curious you use the law of sines...

What is the angle of a semicircle on a ramp?

The angle of a semicircle on a ramp refers to the angle formed between the ramp and the ground at the point where the ramp curves to form a semicircle shape.

Why is the angle of a semicircle on a ramp important?

The angle of a semicircle on a ramp is important because it affects the steepness and stability of the ramp. A smaller angle means a less steep ramp, while a larger angle can make the ramp steeper and less stable.

How is the angle of a semicircle on a ramp calculated?

The angle of a semicircle on a ramp can be calculated using trigonometry. It is equal to the inverse sine of the ratio of the height of the ramp to its radius.

What factors can affect the angle of a semicircle on a ramp?

The angle of a semicircle on a ramp can be affected by the height and radius of the ramp, as well as external factors such as the weight and friction of objects being moved on the ramp.

How can the angle of a semicircle on a ramp be adjusted?

The angle of a semicircle on a ramp can be adjusted by changing the height or radius of the ramp, or by adding support structures to increase stability. It is important to note that changing the angle of a ramp can also affect its overall length and slope, so careful planning and calculations must be done.