Angle of deflection problem

In summary, to find the measure of angle Θ and the amount of deflection Φ, you can use the given information to find the value of r2 and then use the formula n = sin(θi2)/sin(r2) to find the angle of refraction. Finally, you can calculate the total deviation by adding the deviations from each surface.
tstu12

Homework Statement

here is a picture of what is given: http://img838.imageshack.us/i/physicsproblem.png/

I am supposed to find the measure of angle Θ and by what amount Φ is the ray deflected from its original path.

from what is given i know that the angle of incidence is 35 degrees correct? and the angle of refraction using snell's law (n1sinΘ1=n2sinΘ2) is then 22.5 degrees? where do i go from here to find the answer of the 2 questions above?

(The n outside of the triangle is 1.0 and the n inside the triangle is 1.5)

I'm not looking for someone to give the solution I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction to the solution, I've been trying this problem a couple different ways and can't seem to figure it out. thanks!

The Attempt: This is what i have found, i don't know where to go from here or if what i have found is correct: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/41/physicsproblemattempt.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simple geometry shows that A = r1 + r2.
In the problem, A is given. You have found out r1. Find r2.
n = sin(θi2)/sin(r2)
Deviation δ1 in the first face is θi1 - r1 and in the second surface is δ2 = θi2 - r2.
Total deviation d = δ1 + δ2.

Simple geometry shows that A = r1 + r2.
In the problem, A is given. You have found out r1. Find r2.
n = sin(θi2)/sin(r2)
Deviation δ1 in the first face is θi1 - r1 and in the second surface is δ2 = θi2 - r2.
Total deviation d = δ1 + δ2.

Your answer is correct.

What is the angle of deflection problem?

The angle of deflection problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the deviation of a moving object's path from its original direction due to a force or obstacle.

What factors affect the angle of deflection?

The angle of deflection is affected by the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the object, as well as the velocity and mass of the object itself.

How is the angle of deflection calculated?

The angle of deflection can be calculated using trigonometry, specifically the tangent function. The force vector and the velocity vector of the object are used to determine the angle of deflection.

What are some real-life examples of the angle of deflection problem?

One example is a baseball being hit by a bat. The force of the bat hitting the ball causes the ball's path to deviate from its original direction. Another example is a billiard ball being hit by a cue stick, causing it to deflect off other balls on the table.

How is the angle of deflection problem relevant in science and engineering?

The angle of deflection problem is relevant in understanding and predicting the behavior of moving objects in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and aviation. It is also important in designing structures and machines to withstand external forces and maintain stability.