Angle of deflection - spheres.

In summary: In other words, the angle of deflection is given by the formula PIE-B-A, where PIE is the initial angle, B is the final angle, and A is the angle between the line of centres of the objects. This formula holds true for all examples, where the angle of deflection is always the difference between the larger and smaller angles. The direction of the impulse does not affect the angle of deflection, as it is measured with respect to the line of centres.
binbagsss
What exactly do we mean by the angle of deflection?
Is the ‘angle the velocity is turned through equivalent’?

- does it tak into account the direction of the impulse , I ask because if it does, I am struggling to see how, I have attached an example where the impulse is in the direction of the line of centres of spheres.
(- To me, instinctively I would think that the angle of deflection would be given by PIE-B-A.
OR, is this instead the difference in the angle between the paths taken, the actual answer is simply B-A)
- Examples I have done, it always seems to be a difference of the angles : (the bigger one - smaller one )
- Am I correct in thinking that whether or not the angle is greater after is dependent upon the direction of the impulse, basically the line to which you describe it with respect to ?

Thanks alot, any help much appreaciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The angle of deflection is the angle between the initial velocity of an object and the final velocity after it has been subjected to an external force or impulse. It is often referred to as the angle between the line of centres of the objects involved in the collision. The angle of deflection is the difference between the angle of the initial velocity and the angle of the final velocity, regardless of the direction of the impulse.

1. What is the angle of deflection?

The angle of deflection is the angle at which a particle or object is deflected from its original path by a force or interaction.

2. How is the angle of deflection calculated?

The angle of deflection is calculated using the formula θ = arctan(d/r), where θ is the angle of deflection, d is the distance of deflection, and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the angle of deflection for spheres?

The angle of deflection for spheres is affected by the mass of the sphere, the velocity of the particle, the strength of the force or interaction, and the angle of incidence.

4. How does the angle of deflection differ for different materials?

The angle of deflection may differ for different materials depending on their physical properties such as density, elasticity, and surface roughness.

5. How is the angle of deflection used in scientific research?

The angle of deflection is used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology, to study the behavior of particles and objects under different forces and interactions. It is also used to develop and improve technologies such as particle accelerators and optical instruments.