Angle of Inclination for Car on Incline: 0.8 mu Friction

In summary, you can find the angle of inclination on an incline by using the following equation: 0.8=\frac{sinθ}{cosθ}
Medgirl314

Homework Statement

On how steep an incline(in degrees) can a car be parked without sliding down if the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.8?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My physics teacher showed how to find the acceleration for an object on an incline. He got the equation a=gsin(theta)-(mu)gcos(theta)

(Sorry, I can't seem to find the sybmols for mu and theta on LaTex.

I understand how he got the equation. It makes perfect sense. However, I'm having a hard time transforming the equation to get the angle of inclination. Adding mgcos(theta) to both sides yields (mu)gcos(theta)+a=gsin(theta). I would think that the acceleration is negligible since it's not moving, and I think the g's cancel out, correct? But this equation just gives 0.8cos(theta)=sin(theta). But where do I go from here? I don't know cos(theta), sin(theta), or theta. I've been looking at the theta as part of separate terms, but if they canceled out, then it would just be 0.8cos=sin. I tried the inverse of this on a hunch and got sin=36.9 degrees. This seems pretty reasonable, is this my answer? If so, why is it my answer?

Thanks so much! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Medgirl314 said:

Homework Statement

On how steep an incline(in degrees) can a car be parked without sliding down if the coefficient of static friction between the tires and the road is 0.8?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

My physics teacher showed how to find the acceleration for an object on an incline. He got the equation a=gsin(theta)-(mu)gcos(theta)

(Sorry, I can't seem to find the sybmols for mu and theta on LaTex.

I understand how he got the equation. It makes perfect sense. However, I'm having a hard time transforming the equation to get the angle of inclination. Adding mgcos(theta) to both sides yields (mu)gcos(theta)+a=gsin(theta). I would think that the acceleration is negligible since it's not moving, and I think the g's cancel out, correct? But this equation just gives 0.8cos(theta)=sin(theta). But where do I go from here? I don't know cos(theta), sin(theta), or theta. I've been looking at the theta as part of separate terms, but if they canceled out, then it would just be 0.8cos=sin. I tried the inverse of this on a hunch and got sin=36.9 degrees. This seems pretty reasonable, is this my answer? If so, why is it my answer?

Thanks so much! :smile:

You have the equation:

##0.8cosθ=sinθ##

There a simple trigonometric identity relating sinθ and cosθ. You can use it to turn this into an equation involving only one term which has θ in it.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! I thought so! But I've researched it, and looked back in my videos, and plugged cosines and sines of angles into my calculator, and I can't find it anywhere.

Medgirl314 said:
Thanks! I thought so! But I've researched it, and looked back in my videos, and plugged cosines and sines of angles into my calculator, and I can't find it anywhere.

The identity you need to use is:

##tanθ=\frac{sinθ}{cosθ}##

Likes 1 person
Okay, thank you! Looking at the diagram, I see how this equation makes sense. However, I still don't see how I have enough information. It looks like the hypotenuse length and the opposite length may be the same, does this mean that the tan and cos functions cancel out, leaving sin(0.8)? I don't think so, because that number seems far too small.

Medgirl314 said:
Okay, thank you! Looking at the diagram, I see how this equation makes sense. However, I still don't see how I have enough information. It looks like the hypotenuse length and the opposite length may be the same, does this mean that the tan and cos functions cancel out, leaving sin(0.8)? I don't think so, because that number seems far too small.

You are trying to find the angle of inclination, which is θ.

You have the equation ##0.8cosθ=sinθ##

If you divide both sides of this equation by ##cosθ##, then you get:

##0.8=\frac{sinθ}{cosθ}##

Now, we know that ##\frac{sinθ}{cosθ}=tanθ##

So, we now have the following equation:

##tanθ=0.8##

You are trying to find the angle of inclination, which is θ. You know that ##tanθ=0.8##. Can you see how you can now find what θ is?

Likes 1 person
I understand how you got tan(theta)=0.8. I still can't seem to find a trigonometric relationship to get to the answer. If we multiply by the reciprocal we get 0.8(cos)/tan, but that doesn't make sense. I really do want to find the answer myself, so is there a way you can help show the relationship without giving away the answer?

Edit: Is there a inverse relationship I can use? 0.8(inverse tangent)=38.66 degrees.

Thanks so much!

Medgirl314 said:
I understand how you got tan(theta)=0.8. I still can't seem to find a trigonometric relationship to get to the answer. If we multiply by the reciprocal we get 0.8(cos)/tan, but that doesn't make sense. I really do want to find the answer myself, so is there a way you can help show the relationship without giving away the answer?

Edit: Is there a inverse relationship I can use? 0.8(inverse tangent)=38.66 degrees.

Thanks so much!

Yes, you know that ##tanθ=0.8##. Therefore:

##θ=tan^{-1}(0.8)##

Which gives a value of ##θ=38.66°##.

Likes 1 person
Ah, right. I forgot the "why" of the inverse function for a moment, and just went off a hunch. Thank you! I get it now.

1. What is the significance of the angle of inclination for a car on an incline?

The angle of inclination for a car on an incline is important because it determines the amount of force needed to overcome friction and move the car up the incline. It is also a key factor in determining the stability of the car on the incline.

2. What is the role of friction in this scenario?

Friction plays a crucial role in determining the angle of inclination for a car on an incline. It is the force that opposes the motion of the car and must be overcome by the force of the engine in order to move the car up the incline.

3. How does the angle of inclination affect the overall performance of the car?

The angle of inclination can greatly impact the performance of the car. A steeper incline will require more force to overcome friction and move the car, potentially leading to decreased speed and efficiency. It can also affect the stability and handling of the car.

4. Can the angle of inclination be adjusted to improve the car's performance?

Yes, the angle of inclination can be adjusted to improve the car's performance. A lower incline will require less force to overcome friction, leading to better speed and efficiency. However, this must be balanced with the stability of the car on the incline.

5. What other factors should be considered when determining the angle of inclination for a car on an incline?

Aside from friction and stability, other factors that should be taken into account include the weight and distribution of the car, the condition of the incline (e.g. smoothness, gradient), and the capabilities of the car's engine and tires. Weather conditions can also affect the angle of inclination and should be considered for safe and efficient driving.