Find Angle of Two Forces in 2D Motion

In summary, to find the angle of two combined forces in 2-dimensional motion, you can find the angle of each force with respect to an axis, then use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the total net force. From there, you can use trigonometry to find the angle between the combined forces.
mode656

Homework Statement

Not a specific question really.
How would i find the angle of 2 combined forces in 2 dimensional motion. I have the the net force and the forces applied on both the x and y axis

Physics news on Phys.org
one way is to find the angle of each force with respect to an axis (x-axis for example), then from there you can do the rest job in finding the angle between them..

k i don't really get what you mean so here is the question:

Jack exerts 30 N and Michael exerts (cos 45 * 40) N at x direction.

the net for is calculated by:
30 N + (cos 45 * 40) N = 58.3 N. [E]
0 N + (sin 45 * 40) N = 28.3 N. [N]

I can't get the square root to work but you would use the Pythagorean theorem to get 64.8N of total net force

(58.3)2 (28.3)2
I don't know what to do to figure out the angle of the combined forces

Last edited:
now you got a new force .. This forced originally was the resultant force of two forces , you can forget about this now ..

Deal with the question as follows:

You have a force of Fx=58.3N, and Fy = 28.3 (assuming that your calculations are right) .. Now find the angle as if you are dealing with this situation ...

Hint: what is tan(theta) ...

ok ok i got it now its just some simple trig from here thank you

1. How do you find the angle between two forces in 2D motion?

To find the angle between two forces in 2D motion, you can use the law of cosines. This formula states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus two times the product of those two sides multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them. By rearranging this formula, you can solve for the angle between the two forces.

2. Can you use trigonometry to find the angle between two forces in 2D motion?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to find the angle between two forces in 2D motion. Specifically, you can use the inverse cosine function (arccos) to solve for the angle. This function takes in the ratio of the adjacent and hypotenuse sides of a right triangle, which can be found using the magnitude of the two forces.

3. Are there any other methods to find the angle between two forces in 2D motion?

Other than using the law of cosines and trigonometry, you can also use vector addition to find the angle between two forces in 2D motion. This method involves breaking down the two forces into their horizontal and vertical components, and using the inverse tangent function (arctan) to solve for the angle between them.

4. What information do I need to know in order to find the angle between two forces in 2D motion?

In order to find the angle between two forces in 2D motion, you will need to know the magnitudes of the two forces and the direction in which they are acting. This can be represented using vector notation, where the magnitude is the length of the vector and the direction is the angle the vector makes with the positive x-axis.

5. Why is it important to find the angle between two forces in 2D motion?

Knowing the angle between two forces in 2D motion is important because it allows you to determine the resultant force, which is the combination of the two forces. This resultant force can then be used to calculate the acceleration and trajectory of an object in motion. It also helps in understanding the overall dynamics of the system and can be used to optimize the forces for a desired outcome.