1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angle of two forces

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Not a specific question really.
    How would i find the angle of 2 combined forces in 2 dimensional motion. I have the the net force and the forces applied on both the x and y axis

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2
    one way is to find the angle of each force with respect to an axis (x-axis for example), then from there you can do the rest job in finding the angle between them..

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    k i don't really get what you mean so here is the question:

Jack exerts 30 N and Michael exerts (cos 45 * 40) N at x direction.

the net for is calculated by:
    30 N + (cos 45 * 40) N = 58.3 N. [E]
    0 N + (sin 45 * 40) N = 28.3 N. [N]

I cant get the square root to work but you would use the Pythagorean theorem to get 64.8N of total net force

(58.3)2 (28.3)2
    I don't know what to do to figure out the angle of the combined forces

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  5. Apr 17, 2010 #4
    now you got a new force .. This forced originally was the resultant force of two forces , you can forget about this now ..

Deal with the question as follows:

You have a force of Fx=58.3N, and Fy = 28.3 (assuming that your calculations are right) .. Now find the angle as if you are dealing with this situation ...

Hint: what is tan(theta) ...

6. Apr 17, 2010 #5
    ok ok i got it now its just some simple trig from here thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook