Angled Projectile Motion Question

In summary, an object was thrown up at an angle of 22o from the horizontal. If this object travels 38 m horizontally, the speed at which the object was thrown was -9.81 m/s2.
xxlvh
1. An object was thrown up at an angle of 22o from the horizontal. If this object travels 38 m horizontally, what was the speed at which the object was thrown?

angle = 22o
dhorizontal = 38m
g = -9.81m/s2

I have absolutely no clue on how to even go about starting to solve this question...would anyone be able to give me a small hint perhaps on which formula to work with?

Physics news on Phys.org
Put the intial speed as V inclined at the angle of 22. Split that into vertical and horizontal components. (Note that the horizontal velocity is constant).
Then use your kinematic equations.

If I have the angle and split it into the x and y components, wouldn't I still need at least one velocity given to solve for any of the other sides?

Find the total time for the motion ([itex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]) in terms of V.

Then the total horizontal distance travelled=Horizontal Speed * Total time for the motion

Hmm. The formulas I used were just slightly different, I've never seen that one before...what would the variables of "s" and "u" stand for?

xxlvh said:
Hmm. The formulas I used were just slightly different, I've never seen that one before...what would the variables of "s" and "u" stand for?

s=displacement
u=initial velocity

Okay, thank you.
And Vi would be...22?
Sorry for all the questions. I wasn't having any problems in the whole unit up until this last question!

xxlvh said:
Okay, thank you.
And Vi would be...22?
Sorry for all the questions. I wasn't having any problems in the whole unit up until this last question!

Vi=initial veritcal velocity=Vsin22.

Alright...I've gotten it to:

t = -2(Vsin22o) / -9.81m/s2

xxlvh said:
Alright...I've gotten it to:

t = -2(Vsin22o) / -9.81m/s2

Good.

Now consider horizontal motion.

Horizontal Distance=Horizontal speed * Time

and you have t=(2Vsin22)/9.81 and the horizontal distance is 38

Okay...So 38 m = V x (2vsin22/-9.81)

Are you able to combine the two V's, if one is horizontal and one is vertical?

When I tried that in the next step I have -372.78m=2v2sin 22o...when working through it though, it ends up with the root of a negative number so I'm assuming I made a mistake somwhere. =/

xxlvh said:
Okay...So 38 m = V x (2vsin22/-9.81)

Are you able to combine the two V's, if one is horizontal and one is vertical?

When I tried that in the next step I have -372.78m=2v2sin 22o...when working through it though, it ends up with the root of a negative number so I'm assuming I made a mistake somwhere. =/

[tex]\frac{-2(Vsin22)}{ -9.81}[/tex]

minus signs cancel out.

and Horizontal velocity=Vcos22.

Solving for V, I got 23 m/s. According to the book that is the correct answer!

This will add 3% onto my overall mark :) Thank you, I really owe you one!

Once you understand how to do the problems is all that's needed.

FAQ: Angled Projectile Motion Question

1. What is angled projectile motion?

Angled projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched at an angle to the horizontal with a constant speed and is affected by the force of gravity.

2. What are the key factors that affect angled projectile motion?

The key factors that affect angled projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity.

3. How can the range of a projectile be maximized?

The range of a projectile can be maximized by launching it at a 45-degree angle, which is the angle that yields the maximum range for a given initial velocity.

4. How does air resistance affect angled projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect angled projectile motion by reducing the range and height of the projectile due to the force of drag acting against its motion.

5. What is the trajectory of a projectile in angled projectile motion?

The trajectory of a projectile in angled projectile motion is a parabola, with the highest point being the maximum height reached by the projectile and the distance traveled being the range.

Back