Can We Define Angles in Flat Spacetime Using Geodesics?

In summary: That's because in that case, the rapidities are the same thing as the spacetime interval distances, and the spacetime interval distance is additive for any two segments. So the rapidity of a spacelike segment is just the difference of the rapidities of two other spacelike segments that make up a triangle with it.The all-timelike case is different. The spacetime interval distance between two timelike vectors is the logarithm of the ratio of the rapidity of one to the rapidity of the other. You can't just add spacetime interval distances for timelike segments to get the spacetime interval distance for a triangle. But you can add the rapidities to get the rapidity for a triangle
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
In another thread, it was asked if we could use the angular deficit idea to determine curvature not in space, but in space-time.

My idea to attempt to proceed along these lines would be to generalize the idea of angle, but I don't have anything that I feel I can point to.

As a starting point, I'd like to ask - if we have a flat Minkowskii spacetime, and form a triangle form one timelike geodesic and two null geodesics, is there a meaningful concept of the "angles" of this triangle that sum to 180 degrees? Possibly based on using the dot product to determine the angle?

One example of such a triange would be setting the three points of the triangle as (t,x) given by (0,0) (2,0) (1,1)

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, the generalization of angle between timelike-vectors is the "rapidity".Possibly interesting reading (on my to-read list):

http://projecteuclid.org/download/pdf_1/euclid.mmj/1029002964
Michigan Math. J., Volume 31, Issue 1 (1984), 77-81.
The Gauss-Bonnet theorem for $2$-dimensional spacetimes.
Graciela S. Birman and Katsumi Nomizuhttp://nyjm.albany.edu/j/2006/12-8v.pdf
New York J. Math. 12 (2006) 143–155.
The Gauss–Bonnet theorem for Cayley–Klein geometries of dimension two
Alan S. McRae

The rapidity maps -c<v<c into -##\infty## to +-##\infty## right? So I'm not sure if the rapidities in a spacetime triangle sum to 180. I suspect not, but I haven't tried to consider a case without troublesome infinities as in the one I mentioned.

pervect said:
The rapidity maps -c<v<c into -##\infty## to +-##\infty## right?

Yes; the mapping is the ##\tanh## function (if we're mapping rapidities to velocities, or its inverse if we're mapping velocities to rapidities).

pervect said:
I'm not sure if the rapidities in a spacetime triangle sum to 180.

I don't see how they could, in general, since, as you note, the range of rapidities is infinite, not bounded.

I think there's also another issue, which is that just defining the angle as rapidity between timelike curves is not enough; you also need to have some notion of "supplementary" rapidities (the analog of 180 degrees minus an angle in ordinary geometry). I don't see how to define such a notion, because I don't see any natural analog of "180 degrees" in rapidity space.

For example, consider the triangle with (t, x) vertices A (0, 0), B (1, 0), and C(3, 1). All three sides of this triangle are timelike, and two of the angles are "acute"--the angles at vertices A and C (i.e., these angles are just the "rapidity angles" between the tangent vectors of the two sides that meet at that vertex).

So computing these two angles is easy (I'll use ##\eta## for the rapidities):

Angle A: ##\eta_A = \tanh^{-1} \left( \frac{1}{3} \right) \approx 0.34657359027997264##

Angle C: ##\eta_C = \tanh^{-1} \left( \frac{\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{3}}{1 - \frac{1}{6}} \right) = \tanh^{1} \left( \frac{1}{5} \right) \approx 0.2027325540540822##

But the third angle, the one at B, is "obtuse"; it is not the same as the "rapidity angle" between the tangent vectors of side AB and side BC (taking both as future-pointing), it is the "supplement" of that rapidity angle. I.e., it is the supplement of

Angle B': ##\eta_{B'} = \tanh^{-1} \left( \frac{1}{2} \right) \approx 0.5493061443340548##

You will note, btw, that A + C = B', which is to be expected if you think about what the angles mean physically. But how am I supposed to get the "actual" angle B in the triangle from B'?

Instead of using interior angles adding up to 180°, use the equivalent form that the exterior angle equals the sum of the two opposite interior angles. (What Wikipedia calls the "high school exterior angle theorem".)

That version works for rapidities (for timelike geodesics in flat spacetime) too, in the case when all three "angles" are "acute".

But that doesn't help for null geodesics.

DrGreg said:
That version works for rapidities (for timelike geodesics in flat spacetime) too, in the case when all three "angles" are "acute"

Can you have a triangle in flat spacetime with all three sides timelike and all three interior angles "acute"?

And is that condition necessary in the spacetime case? In the example I gave, only two of the interior angles are "acute"; the third, angle B, is "obtuse". But my example satisfies the theorem: as I noted at the end of my post, A + C = B', where B' is the exterior angle and A and C are the two opposite interior angles (where "angles" here means rapidities).

PeterDonis said:
Can you have a triangle in flat spacetime with all three sides timelike and all three interior angles "acute"?

And is that condition necessary in the spacetime case? In the example I gave, only two of the interior angles are "acute"; the third, angle B, is "obtuse". But my example satisfies the theorem: as I noted at the end of my post, A + C = B', where B' is the exterior angle and A and C are the two opposite interior angles (where "angles" here means rapidities).

No, sorry, what I meant was two acute interior angles and one acute exterior angle. And specifically for the all-timelike case, to be able to calculate rapidity. All three rapidities will be between pairs of future-pointing timelike vectors.

You are right that you don't need to specify acuteness in the all-spacelike case.

1. What is Lorentzian geometry?

Lorentzian geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the geometric properties of spacetime in the theory of relativity. It is a non-Euclidean geometry that describes the relationship between space and time, and is based on the concept of a four-dimensional spacetime manifold.

2. What are angles in Lorentzian geometry?

In Lorentzian geometry, angles are defined as the measure of the deviation between two intersecting curves or surfaces in spacetime. Unlike Euclidean geometry where angles are always positive, angles in Lorentzian geometry can be positive, negative, or zero, depending on the curvature of spacetime.

3. How are angles measured in Lorentzian geometry?

In Lorentzian geometry, angles are measured using a metric tensor, which is a mathematical tool that defines the distance between two points in spacetime. The angle between two curves or surfaces is calculated by finding the difference between the angles of the tangent vectors at the point of intersection.

4. What are some applications of angles in Lorentzian geometry?

Angles in Lorentzian geometry have many applications in physics, particularly in the theory of relativity. They are used to describe the curvature of spacetime and the motion of particles in gravitational fields. They also play a crucial role in the calculation of spacetime intervals and the prediction of the behavior of light and other particles in curved spacetime.

5. Are there any real-world examples that demonstrate the importance of angles in Lorentzian geometry?

One well-known example is the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars or galaxies, due to the curvature of spacetime. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, can be explained using the concept of angles in Lorentzian geometry. Another example is the behavior of clocks in different gravitational fields, which can be predicted using the angle of inclination of the clock's worldline in spacetime.