Angles of Nodal Lines (Two point light source)

Thank you for providing a clear and concise summary of the conversation. In summary, a two-point source with a frequency of 1.0Hz and sources 2.5cm apart produces an interference pattern in a ripple tank with a wavelength of 1.2cm. The nodal lines in the pattern are located at angles of 14 and 46 degrees when measured from the central line of the pattern.
ND3G
A two-point source operates at a frequency of 1.0Hz to produce an interference pattern in a ripple tank. The sources are 2.5cm apart and the wavelength of the waves is 1.2 cm.

Calculate the angles at which the nodal lines in the pattern are located far from the sources. (assume the angles are measured from the central line of the pattern.

Given:
f = 1.0Hz
d = 2.5cm
wavelength = 1.2cm

Analysis:
sin = ((n - 0.5)*wavelength)/d

Solution:
sin1 = ((1 - 0.5)1.2cm)/2.5 = 14 degrees
sin2 = ((2 - 0.5)1.2cm)/2.5 = 46 degrees
sin3 = ((3 - 0.5)1.2cm)/2.5 = undefined

Paraphrase:
Therefore, far from the sources the nodal lines are located at angles of 14 and 46 degrees to the central line of the pattern.

I really wasn't sure what this question was looking for so I just did what seemed most likely. Can someone let me know if I am on the right track here or missing the point? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me.

!

I can confirm that your calculations and solution are correct. The question was asking for the angles at which the nodal lines would be located in the interference pattern produced by a two-point source with specific parameters. Your response provides the necessary information and demonstrates your understanding of the concept of nodal lines in interference patterns. Well done.

1. What are nodal lines in relation to light sources?

Nodal lines refer to areas in a light field where the light intensity is zero. These areas are formed due to the interference of light waves from two point sources.

2. How are nodal lines created?

Nodal lines are created when two light waves with the same frequency and amplitude intersect at opposite phases, resulting in destructive interference and cancelling out the light intensity in that specific area.

3. Are nodal lines visible to the human eye?

No, nodal lines are not typically visible to the human eye as they are areas with zero light intensity. However, they can be observed using specialized equipment such as interferometers.

4. What is the significance of studying nodal lines?

Nodal lines are important in the field of optics and wave theory as they provide insight into the behavior of light waves. They also have practical applications in fields such as astronomy and microscopy.

5. Can nodal lines be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, nodal lines can be manipulated by adjusting the properties of the light sources, such as their distance and phase difference. This allows for the creation of complex patterns and can be useful in various optical experiments.