1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular acceleration of a cylinder with a string

1. Aug 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cylinder with radius r = 0.6 m hangs in a horisontal frictionless axis. A string is winded around it and a constant force, F = 50.0 N, is acting on the string from t1 = 0 s to t2 = 2.00 s. During this time, L = 5 m of the string unwinds. The system starts from rest.
    a) Angular acceleration, alpha = ?
    b) Angular velocity, omega2 at t2 = ?
    c) Final kinetic energy = ?
    d) Moment of inertia, I = ?

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only thing that actually troubles me is finding alpha, because I think that once I have it, everything else is easily solved. (am I right thinking that omega2 = alpha*t2 ? Since alpha is constant, I cannot imagine it being in any other way)
    Now, I've tried using r x F = I*alpha, but as I don't know the mass of the cylinder, that equation doesn't help me. (I think that once I know alpha, r x F = I*alpha is the equation to use to find I) I've used the fact that the work done by the force is W = F * L = 2500 Nm.
    By using
    W = [itex]\int F*v dt[/itex]
    with boundaries t1 = 0 to t2 = 2, a = alpha*r and F = m*a I get 2*F*alpha*r = W. From this I get alpha = 41.7 rad/s2. I'm not sure this is correct though, and I would have expected alpha to be a bit smaller...
    With alpha = 41.7 rad/s2 and t2 = 2 s I get omega2 = 41.7*2 = 83.4 rad/s. I also used W = T2 - 1, where T is kinetic energy. Since omega1 = v1 = 0, T1 = 0. T2 = (I*(omega2)2)/2. With the moment of inertia for a cylinder, I = (m*r2)/2 I get m(r2*omega22)/4 = m*alpha*r*L, and m cancels out. Solving for omega2 I get 37.3 rad/s, which is not what I got using omega2 = alpha*t2. Can anyone explain this to me? I'm sure I got a lot wrong, and the fact that I'm in my summer house without a single physics book doesn't help.

Thanks a lot for even reading this!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check the work: F=50 N, s=5 m.

ehild

4. Aug 3, 2011 #3
    Woah... That's quite embarrasing!
    Anyway, I'm happy that that was the only mistake I made... Thank you, ehild!

5. Aug 3, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It was a nice work. You are welcome.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook