Angular Acceleration of a Pulley Supporting Two Hanging Masses

In summary, the conversation is about a dynamics homework problem that involves determining the angular acceleration of a grooved drum with a given mass and radius of gyration. The conversation includes the necessary equations and steps to solve the problem, but it is noted that the given answer does not match the calculated value. It is suggested that the acceleration of the two masses may have been overlooked in the calculation.
wingman358

Homework Statement

Hi all! I'm working on a dynamics homework and have hit a wall here:

d27a9810-5a81-45a4-b062-9839faa86a69-original.png

"If the frictional moment at the pivot O is 2 N m, determine the angular acceleration of the grooved drum, which has a mass of 8 kg and a radius of gyration k = 225 mm.

Ans: α = 0.622 rad/s^2 "

Homework Equations

M = m g r

ƩM = I α

I = m k^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The two masses exert moments about O, so my first step is to sum the moments about the pivot O:

ƩM = (12 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(0.2 m) - (7 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(0.3 m)
ƩM = 2.943 N m

These moments are resisted by the frictional moment such that:

ƩM = (2.943 N m) - (2 N m)
ƩM = 0.943 N m

Next we need the moment of inertia of the pulley:

I = m_pulley * k^2
I = (8 kg)(0.225 m)^2
I = 0.405 kg m^2

Finally we can solve for angular acceleration:

ƩM = I α
so
α = ƩM / I
α = (0.943 N m) / (0.405 kg m^2)
α = 2.33 1 / s^2

My analysis seems reasonable and I come up with the right units, but it is not very close to the given answer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot assume that there is no acceleration on the two objects(12kg and 7kg)

Last edited by a moderator:
wingman358 said:

Homework Statement

Hi all! I'm working on a dynamics homework and have hit a wall here:

View attachment 152095

"If the frictional moment at the pivot O is 2 N m, determine the angular acceleration of the grooved drum, which has a mass of 8 kg and a radius of gyration k = 225 mm.

Ans: α = 0.622 rad/s^2 "

Homework Equations

M = m g r

ƩM = I α

I = m k^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The two masses exert moments about O, so my first step is to sum the moments about the pivot O:

ƩM = (12 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(0.2 m) - (7 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(0.3 m)
ƩM = 2.943 N m

These moments are resisted by the frictional moment such that:

ƩM = (2.943 N m) - (2 N m)
ƩM = 0.943 N m

Next we need the moment of inertia of the pulley:

I = m_pulley * k^2
I = (8 kg)(0.225 m)^2
I = 0.405 kg m^2

Finally we can solve for angular acceleration:

ƩM = I α
so
α = ƩM / I
α = (0.943 N m) / (0.405 kg m^2)
α = 2.33 1 / s^2

My analysis seems reasonable and I come up with the right units, but it is not very close to the given answer.

Am I doing something wrong?

You forgot to consider the acceleration of the angles for the two masses . That is why you acceleration is too fast. the angular acceleration of the 12kg mass and 7kg mass are missing

Last edited by a moderator:
Bemberson said:
You forgot to consider the acceleration of the angles for the two masses . That is why you acceleration is too fast. the angular acceleration of the 12kg mass and 7kg mass are missing
This thread is 10 years old. The user who posted it is unlikely to profit from your remark, but thank you for posting.

Related to Angular Acceleration of a Pulley Supporting Two Hanging Masses

What is angular acceleration of a pulley supporting two hanging masses?

The angular acceleration of a pulley supporting two hanging masses is the rate of change of the angular velocity of the pulley. It describes how quickly the pulley is accelerating in a circular motion.

How is angular acceleration calculated for a pulley supporting two hanging masses?

The angular acceleration of a pulley supporting two hanging masses can be calculated using the formula α = (T1 - T2) / I, where α is the angular acceleration, T1 and T2 are the tensions in the ropes attached to the pulley, and I is the moment of inertia of the pulley.

What factors affect the angular acceleration of a pulley supporting two hanging masses?

The angular acceleration of a pulley supporting two hanging masses is affected by the difference in tension between the ropes, the moment of inertia of the pulley, and the mass of the hanging masses. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

What is the relationship between angular acceleration and linear acceleration in this scenario?

In this scenario, the linear acceleration of the hanging masses is directly related to the angular acceleration of the pulley. As the pulley accelerates, the masses will also accelerate at the same rate, assuming no other external forces are acting on them.

How does the angular acceleration of a pulley supporting two hanging masses affect the tension in the ropes?

The angular acceleration of a pulley supporting two hanging masses affects the tension in the ropes by increasing or decreasing the difference in tension between the ropes. As the pulley accelerates, the tension in the ropes will change, with the higher tension being on the side of the pulley with the larger moment of inertia.