Angular Acceleration Of A Wheel

In summary, to find the angular acceleration of a wheel rotating with a constant angular acceleration, one can use the equations wft - theta = 1/2*at^2 and 2[wft - theta] / t2 = a, and solve for a by subtracting the first equation from the second and simplifying. In this problem, the acceleration was found to be negative, indicating a decrease in angular velocity over time.
Warmacblu

Homework Statement

A wheel rotating with a constant angular acceleration turns through 22 revolutions during a 9 s time interval. Its angular velocity at the end of this interval is 15 rad/s.

What is the angular acceleration of the wheel? Note that the initial angular velocity is not zero.

Homework Equations

w = omega
a = alpha

wf = wi + at
theta = wit + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

wf = 15
wi = ?
a = ?
theta = 2pi * 22 = 128.23
t = 9

So I have two unknowns and two equations but I can't seem to solve for the two equations. Both equations have two unknowns in them which is throwing me off. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation can be written as
wf*t = wi*t + a*t^2and subtract it from the second equation.wi*t get canceled out.Then solve for a.

How does this look?

wft = wit + at2
theta = wit + 1/2at2

wft - theta = at2 - 1/2at2

wft - theta / t2 = a - 1/2at2

wft - theta / t4 = a - 1/2a

2wft - theta / t4 = a

Thanks for the help.

This step is wrong. It should be
wft - theta = 1/2*at2

rl.bhat said:

wft - theta = 1/2*at2

How come the at2 can just be dropped?

Following your correction:

wft - theta = 1/2*at2

wft - theta / t2 = 1/2a

2wft - theta / t2 = a

Warmacblu said:
How come the at2 can just be dropped?

Following your correction:

wft - theta = 1/2*at2

wft - theta / t2 = 1/2a

2wft - theta / t2 = a

It should be
2[wft - theta] / t2 = a[

rl.bhat said:
It should be
2[wft - theta] / t2 = a[

Here is what I got:

2((15*9)-138.23) / 92 = -.0798

Does that mean that the disc has a negative acceleration?

Also, I still do not understand how you just dropped the at2:

wft - theta = 1/2*at2

Also, I still do not understand how you just dropped the at^2
I am not dropping at^2. It is a simple algebra.
wft-θ = at^2 - 1/2*at^2
= 2*1/2*at^2 - 1/2at^2...= ? [Just like (2x - x) = ?]

rl.bhat said:
Also, I still do not understand how you just dropped the at^2
I am not dropping at^2. It is a simple algebra.
wft-θ = at^2 - 1/2*at^2
= 2*1/2*at^2 - 1/2at^2...= ? [Just like (2x - x) = ?]

Ah, okay. I see it now.

I am unsure if my answer is in rad/sec2 which the question specifies for. I multiplied 15 rad/s times 9 sec - 138.23 rad all divided by 9 sec. The terms seem correct but the negative is still throwing me off.

See whether the angular velocity increasing or decreasing. If it is decreasing then the acceleration is negative.

22 rev / 9 sec = 2.44 rev/sec = 15.36 rad / sec. At the end of the time interval it is at 15 rad/s, so I guess the acceleration is negative.

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the rotational velocity of an object changes. It is represented by the symbol alpha and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation a = r * alpha, where a is linear acceleration, r is the radius, and alpha is angular acceleration. Essentially, angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, while linear acceleration is the rate of change of linear velocity.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by taking the change in angular velocity over a given time interval. The formula is alpha = (omega2 - omega1) / t, where omega2 is the final angular velocity, omega1 is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a wheel?

The angular acceleration of a wheel is affected by the force applied to it, the mass of the wheel, and the distribution of that mass. The radius of the wheel also plays a role, as a larger radius will result in a larger moment of inertia and therefore a lower angular acceleration for the same amount of force applied.

5. How does angular acceleration affect the motion of a wheel?

Angular acceleration affects the motion of a wheel by changing its angular velocity, and therefore its rotational motion. A higher angular acceleration will result in a faster change of rotational speed, while a lower angular acceleration will result in a slower change. This can impact the overall speed and stability of the wheel's motion.