1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Acceleration

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    The problem is:

The angular speed of a propellor on a boat increases with constant acceleration from 50 rev/min to 150rev/min in 2.5s.What is the angular acceleration of the propellor?

I'm not sure how to go about the problem.So far I've converted the 50rev/min and the 150rev/min to rad/s.Do I have to work out wf-wi and tf-ti or am I going about it wrong?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like you are on the right track.

4. Nov 19, 2006 #3
    Kinematic equations can be applied to translational motion with constant acceleration. The same works in rotational dynamics. In fact, the equations for both types of motion share a common format with different variables. Given an initial and final angular speed during some time interval, what is the acceleration? If you're still unsure, ask yourself, "How would I solve if the variables were dimensionally linear?" Is there a similar rotational equivalent?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?