Angular Acceleration Pulley: m,g,r,I

In summary, the problem involves a pulley with a radius of 2.70 m and a moment of inertia of 39.0 kg·m2, and a hanging mass of 4.20 kg exerting a force tangent to the edge of the pulley. The question asks for the angular acceleration of the pulley in rads/sec^2, which can be found using the equations a = t/I and t = Fr. However, despite attempts to solve for the angular acceleration using these equations, the result obtained (2.8496 rad/s^2) is incorrect.
jason177

Homework Statement

A pulley has a radius of 2.70 m and a moment of inertia of 39.0 kg·m2. There is a hanging mass with a mass of 4.20 kg and it exerts a force tangent to the edge of the pulley. What is the angular acceleration of the pulley in rads/sec^2?

r = 2.7m
I=39kg·m2
m=4.2kg

Homework Equations

a = t/I
F = mg
t = Fr

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the torque on the pulley caused by the mass by multiplying the mass * gravity * the radius and then dividing by the moment of inertia to get the angular acceleration but I keep getting 2.8496 which is apparently wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
F = mgt = Frt = (4.2kg)(9.8m/s^2)(2.7m)t = 114.36N·ma = t/Ia = (114.36N·m)/(39kg·m2)a = 2.8496 rad/s^2

I would like to clarify that the formula for angular acceleration is actually α = τ/I, where τ is the torque applied to the object and I is the moment of inertia. In this case, the force exerted by the hanging mass is equivalent to the torque (τ = Fr), so the correct formula to use is α = Fr/I. Plugging in the given values, we get α = (4.2 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 2.7 m) / 39 kg·m^2 = 0.829 rads/sec^2. Therefore, the angular acceleration of the pulley is 0.829 rads/sec^2.

1. What is Angular Acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of the angular velocity of an object. It is typically represented by the symbol α and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. How does a Pulley affect Angular Acceleration?

A pulley is a simple machine that can change the direction and magnitude of a force. When a pulley is used to lift or lower an object, it also affects the angular acceleration of that object. The amount of angular acceleration depends on the mass of the object, the force applied, and the radius of the pulley.

3. What is the role of mass (m) in Angular Acceleration Pulleys?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. In the context of angular acceleration pulleys, the mass of an object affects the amount of force required to accelerate it. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to produce the same amount of angular acceleration.

4. How does gravity (g) affect Angular Acceleration Pulleys?

Gravity is a fundamental force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In the case of angular acceleration pulleys, gravity affects the amount of force needed to lift or lower an object, as well as the direction of the force. The acceleration due to gravity (g) is a constant value that is typically 9.8 m/s².

5. What is the significance of the radius (r) and moment of inertia (I) in Angular Acceleration Pulleys?

The radius (r) of a pulley is the distance from the center of the pulley to the point where the rope or belt is wrapped around it. The moment of inertia (I) is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. In the context of angular acceleration pulleys, these values determine the amount of torque needed to produce a certain amount of angular acceleration. The larger the radius or moment of inertia, the more torque is needed.