Angular distance question - how to solve

• Thread starter pennywise1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary: So it would be 2 miles x 7 days = 14 miles total.In summary, the total angular distance undergone at the knee during 10 complete squats is 1700 degrees or 29.67 radians. This is calculated by taking into account both directions of knee movement and adding them together, similar to calculating the total distance walked in a round trip. This concept is the angular equivalent of linear distance.
pennywise1234
Poster has been reminded to post schoolwork in the Homework Help forums and show their work
during knee flexion of a squat phase the knee moves from 180 degrees to 95 degrees. if you perform 10 complete squats what is the total angular distance (in radians and in degrees), undergone at the knee?

anyone know how to solve this one? can you explain

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understood it correctly:
-If you pay regard to the sign, then 0deg and 0rad.
-If you only count one direction, then 10*(180-95)=850deg=14,84 rad.

Replusz said:
If I understood it correctly:
-If you pay regard to the sign, then 0deg and 0rad.
-If you only count one direction, then 10*(180-95)=850deg=14,84 rad.

that is the answer i got, but the answer key has 1700 degrees for total distance and 29.67 rad. so i was not sure if i was missing something here.

pennywise1234 said:
that is the answer i got, but the answer key has 1700 degrees for total distance and 29.67 rad. so i was not sure if i was missing something here.

here is the sheet if you want to look it

Attachments

• Lecture 04(1).pdf
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,441
Then they calculated both directions, without looking at the signs. Yes, this is indeed the third possibility :)

but why calculate both directions? so in essence, it is 850 x 2 = 1700. Do you know when you have to calculate both directions?

I don’t know… really… I only know the physics part… Probably if you want to calculate how much your knee was ‘used’

Likes pennywise1234
pennywise1234 said:
but why calculate both directions? so in essence, it is 850 x 2 = 1700. Do you know when you have to calculate both directions?
This is the angular analog of linear distance.

If you walk 1 mile to the store and then back home every day for a week, what is the total distance you walk?

You count the distance both there and back, and then add those for 7 days.

Related to Angular distance question - how to solve

1. What is angular distance?

Angular distance is the measure of the separation between two objects in the sky, typically measured in degrees, arcminutes, or arcseconds. It is used to determine the apparent size of objects and their positions in relation to each other.

2. How do you calculate angular distance?

To calculate angular distance, you need the coordinates (right ascension and declination) of the two objects. You can then use the formula: Angular distance = arccos(sin(declination1)sin(declination2) + cos(declination1)cos(declination2)cos(right ascension1-right ascension2)). This will give you the angular distance in radians, which can be converted to degrees by multiplying by 180/π.

3. What is the difference between angular distance and angular separation?

Angular distance and angular separation are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Angular distance refers to the angle between two objects as seen from a specific point, while angular separation refers to the distance between the two objects when projected onto a plane.

4. How is angular distance used in astronomy?

Angular distance is used in astronomy to measure the distance between objects in the sky, such as stars, planets, and galaxies. It is also used to determine the size and position of objects, as well as their relative motion.

5. Can angular distance be negative?

No, angular distance cannot be negative. It is always measured as a positive value, with 0 degrees representing no separation between two objects and 180 degrees representing the maximum separation.