1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum about a line

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A bird of mass 0.5kg is flying near to a building which is 35.0m tall. Take the direction AWAY FROM THE BUILDING to be the +x direction and take UP to be the +y direction. At some instant in time, the bird has an x velocity of +20m/s and a y velocity of -14m/s. At this same instant the ird is located 8 m from the building and 5 m below the roof (30 m above the ground).

What is the angular momentum of the bird about the line along the edge of the roof at this instant in time?

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so to start of the answer is (-6.0 kg m2/s) k

I am not sure how to get it but this is what i tried.

I used the cross product of this matrix

(ignore the dots they were the only way i could line up everything like the matrix i drew :)

so (8)(-14) - (20)(-5)

= -12 kgm2/s in the k direction

Can anyone help me with what i am doing wrong or how to do this correctly?

It was a problem on a test i just took last week and i really wanna know how to get the right answer.

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Angular momentum is r x p. You calculated r x v, i.e. you forgot to multiply by the mass of the bird.
  4. May 9, 2010 #3
    Oh yay so i wasnt too far off just a little mistake. Thank you Kuruman :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook