Angular Momentum of a Bird Flying Near a Building

In summary, the angular momentum of the bird about the edge of the roof at the given instant is -6.0 kg m2/s in the k direction. This can be calculated by taking the cross product of the position vector and the velocity vector, and then multiplying by the mass of the bird. The mistake made was forgetting to multiply by the mass.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A bird of mass 0.5kg is flying near to a building which is 35.0m tall. Take the direction AWAY FROM THE BUILDING to be the +x direction and take UP to be the +y direction. At some instant in time, the bird has an x velocity of +20m/s and a y velocity of -14m/s. At this same instant the ird is located 8 m from the building and 5 m below the roof (30 m above the ground).

What is the angular momentum of the bird about the line along the edge of the roof at this instant in time?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so to start of the answer is (-6.0 kg m2/s) k

I am not sure how to get it but this is what i tried.

I used the cross product of this matrix

...I...J
r|...8...(-5)
F|...20...-14

(ignore the dots they were the only way i could line up everything like the matrix i drew :)

so (8)(-14) - (20)(-5)

= -12 kgm2/s in the k direction

Can anyone help me with what i am doing wrong or how to do this correctly?

It was a problem on a test i just took last week and i really want to know how to get the right answer.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular momentum is r x p. You calculated r x v, i.e. you forgot to multiply by the mass of the bird.

Oh yay so i wasnt too far off just a little mistake. Thank you Kuruman :)

What is angular momentum about a line?

Angular momentum about a line is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around an imaginary line. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the line to determine the amount of rotational motion.

How is angular momentum about a line different from angular momentum about a point?

Angular momentum about a line takes into account the motion of an object around a line, while angular momentum about a point only considers the motion of an object around a single point. Additionally, angular momentum about a line is a vector quantity, whereas angular momentum about a point is a scalar quantity.

What factors affect the angular momentum about a line?

The angular momentum about a line is affected by the mass of the object, its velocity, and the distance of the object from the line. The angular momentum also depends on the direction of rotation, as it is a vector quantity.

How is angular momentum about a line calculated?

The angular momentum about a line is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity and the distance from the line. It is also important to take into account the direction of rotation, which is determined by the right-hand rule.

What are some real-life applications of angular momentum about a line?

Angular momentum about a line is a fundamental concept in physics and has many real-life applications. It is used in engineering, such as designing rotating machinery and calculating the stability of spinning objects. It is also used in astronomy to understand the rotation of planets and stars. Additionally, understanding angular momentum about a line is crucial in sports such as ice skating and gymnastics.