Calculating Final Angular Velocity | Skater and Rotational Motion [Help]

In summary, the skater's final angular velocity (in rev/s) will be 1.98 after dropping her arms to her sides, given that her moment of inertia remains constant at 5 kg.m^2 and the distance of the masses from the axis changes from 1 m to 0.1 m. This can be calculated using the equation I1w1 + inertia of the skater's body * w1 = inertia of the skater's body * w2 + I2w2, where I is equal to mr^2.
shinystar

Homework Statement

A skater extends her arms horizontally, holding a 5kg mass in each hand. She is rotating about a vertical axis with an angular velocity of 1rev/s. If she drops her hands to her sides, what will the final angular velocity (in rev/s) be if her moment of inertia remains approximately constant at 5 kg.m^2, and the distance of the masses from the axis changes from 1 m to 0.1m?

Homework Equations

I tried using the conservation of momentum. I1w1=I2w2. But since the qtn states that moment of inertia is constant, isn't w1=w2?

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 3 rev/s but I can't seem to get it.

Hope to find help
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia of the skater's body remains constant, but don't neglect the overall change in inertia, since she changes the position of the two masses.

oh ok..

but I still can't seem to solve it..

I1w1 + inertia of skater's body*w1 = inertia of skater's body*w2 + I2w2

and I = mr^2

so:

5 (1)^2 * 1 + 5*1 = 5*w2 + 5 (0.1)^2 * w2

5.05w2= 10
w2 = 1.98 rev/s

have I made any mistakes again?

Your nearly there, but don't forget she's holding one mass in each hand ... :wink:

oh ya..

Thanks for your help! =)

shinystar said:
oh ya..

Thanks for your help! =)

My pleasure :smile:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a system. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object as it rotates around an axis.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which an object rotates around an axis).

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that as long as there are no external forces or torques acting on a system, the total angular momentum will remain the same.

4. What are some real-world applications of angular momentum?

Angular momentum is applicable in many areas, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. Some examples include the rotation of planets and stars, the motion of spinning objects (such as tops), and the stability of rotating objects (such as helicopters).

5. How does angular momentum relate to angular velocity?

Angular momentum and angular velocity are closely related, as angular momentum is directly proportional to angular velocity. This means that as the angular velocity of an object increases, its angular momentum will also increase. Additionally, the direction of the angular momentum vector is always perpendicular to the plane of rotation and in the same direction as the angular velocity vector.