Angular Momentum in Billiards Video Games

In summary: However, this is an approximation and does not take into account any potential energy or heat losses.
sh8zen
For a billiards video game where I'm trying to approximate real physics, I have a question. Assume this question deals with the impact of the cue ball and a stationary ball.
I'm good with the transfer of lineal momentum from ball to ball, but what happens to the angular momentum of the cue ball during the collision? does it stay with the cue ball or does it also transfer to the object ball? If any of it transfers, what variables would factor into help determine the amount of momentum transfer. The key word in gameDev physics is 'approximate'. I could actually settle for something like "20 % transfers and is imparted about an axis derived from... & 80% stays with the cue ball but the axis shifts because of..."
For my purposes, I do not need to be concerned about momentum/energy losses due to noise or heat

2. A related question; I've been assuming that when any ball hits a bumper, just about all the angular momentum is absorbed by the bumper and as the ball moves away from the bumper, it is sliding with lineal momentum only... while the friction imparts torque over time to increase angular momentum. Does this sound 'approximately' correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. In the collision between the cue ball and the stationary ball, some of the angular momentum of the cue ball will transfer to the object ball depending on the angle of impact and the masses of both balls. Generally speaking, more angular momentum will be transferred if the angle of impact is shallow, and less angular momentum will be transferred if the angle of impact is steep. Additionally, the mass of the cue ball compared to the object ball will also affect the amount of angular momentum transferred - if the cue ball is much heavier than the object ball, the majority of the angular momentum will remain with the cue ball, whereas if the object ball is much heavier than the cue ball, the majority of the angular momentum will be transferred to the object ball.2. This sounds approximately correct. In the collision between the ball and the bumper, most of the angular momentum will be absorbed by the bumper. The ball will then move away from the bumper with only lineal momentum, and the friction between the ball and the surface will impart a torque over time, increasing its angular momentum.

I understand your concern with accurately representing real physics in a billiards video game. In terms of angular momentum, it is important to consider the conservation of angular momentum law, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of a collision between a cue ball and a stationary ball, the angular momentum of the cue ball will be transferred to the object ball, as well as to the entire system as a whole. This transfer of angular momentum will depend on various factors such as the mass and velocity of the balls, the angle of impact, and the elasticity of the collision. The amount of angular momentum transferred can also be affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance.

In terms of the impact of a bumper, it is possible for some of the angular momentum of the ball to be absorbed by the bumper, but it is also likely that some of it will remain with the ball as it continues to move. The friction between the ball and the bumper may also contribute to the increase in angular momentum over time. The exact distribution of angular momentum in this scenario may vary depending on the specific game physics and mechanics, but your approximate understanding seems reasonable.

Overall, it is important to consider all factors and variables when attempting to approximate real physics in a video game. While it may not be possible to perfectly replicate all aspects of real-life physics, a good understanding of the principles involved can help create a more realistic and enjoyable gaming experience.

1. What is angular momentum in billiards video games?

Angular momentum is a measurement of the rotational motion of an object, and it is an important concept in billiards video games. In these games, angular momentum refers to the spin or rotation of the cue ball or other balls as they move around the pool table.

2. How does angular momentum affect the movement of the balls in billiards video games?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in determining how the balls will move in billiards video games. When a ball is struck with a cue stick, it gains angular momentum, which causes it to spin and continue moving in a curve even after it has made contact with other balls or the walls of the pool table.

3. Can players control angular momentum in billiards video games?

Yes, players can control angular momentum in billiards video games by adjusting the angle and speed at which they strike the cue ball with their cue stick. By applying different amounts of force and spin, players can manipulate the angular momentum of the balls and achieve their desired shots.

4. How does angular momentum affect the accuracy of shots in billiards video games?

The accuracy of shots in billiards video games is greatly influenced by angular momentum. If the cue ball has too much or too little spin, it can cause the ball to deviate from its intended path and miss the target. Players must understand and master angular momentum in order to make accurate shots.

5. Is angular momentum the same in real life and in billiards video games?

While the concept of angular momentum remains the same in real life and in billiards video games, the mechanics and physics of the game may differ. In video games, the movement of the balls is often simplified and may not always follow the exact laws of physics. However, understanding the principles of angular momentum can still help players improve their gameplay and make more precise shots in billiards video games.