Angular Momentum of a beam problem

In summary, the question involves a 230 kg beam sliding down the ice at 18 m/s before a 65 kg man grabs onto one end, causing both the man and the beam to rotate around their center of mass. The angular velocity of this system can be calculated using the equation for conservation of angular momentum where the initial angular momentum includes the new center of mass of the man and beam. This axis is chosen for simplicity in calculation. The next step would be to calculate the moment of inertia of the rod and man with respect to this axis.
vicTURBO

Homework Statement

Hey everyone I'm new here and I'm completely stuck on the logic behind this question.

A 230 kg beam 2.7m in length slides broadside down the ice with a speed of 18 m/s. A 65 kg man at rest grabs one end as it goes past and hangs on as both he and the beam go spinning down the ice. Assume friction less motion. With what angular velocity does the system rotate about its Center of Mass?

Homework Equations

L= Iw
L_initial = L_final
(I_rod + I_man )w = mvr

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I found the new center of mass when the man grabs the beam.
New CM = [m_beam(0) + m_man(2.7/2)]/(m_beam + m_man)

L_initial = L_final

The answer key uses this as their primary equation, with r_beam = the new center of mass of the man with the beam

(m_beam)(v_initial)(r_beam) = (I_rod + I_man) w

My question is why does the initial angular momentum include the new center of mass (with the man and the beam)? Shouldn't it only include variables of only the beam since the beam is moving by itself initially?

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
It is because angular momentum around the same axis is conserved. They have chosen the axis to be the centre of mass of the man and rod at the instant the man grabs hold of it. So therefore, the angular momentum of the system just before the man grabs hold must be with respect to the same axis.

Incidentally, you can choose any axis you want (as long as you use the same axis before and after). It just happens that the axis through the centre of mass makes the calculation simpler.

In your answer, the next thing you need to do is calculate the moment of inertia of the rod and man. So this will be with respect to the axis through the centre of mass.

1. What is angular momentum of a beam?

Angular momentum of a beam is a measure of the rotational motion of a beam around its axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of the beam.

2. How is angular momentum of a beam calculated?

The angular momentum of a beam can be calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the beam (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (rate of rotation) and its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a beam?

The angular momentum of a beam is affected by its mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation. The greater these values are, the greater the angular momentum will be.

4. How does conservation of angular momentum apply to a beam problem?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In a beam problem, this means that the initial angular momentum of the beam will be equal to the final angular momentum, unless an external torque is applied.

5. How is angular momentum of a beam used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum of a beam is an important concept in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of rotating systems, such as turbines, gyroscopes, and planets in orbit.