Angular Momentum of circular disk

In summary, a flat uniform circular disk with a radius of 2.50 m and mass of 1.00 * 10^2 kg is initially stationary and free to rotate in the horizontal plane. A person with a mass of 55.0 kg and standing 1.55 m from the axis begins to run on the disk with a tangential speed of 2.20 m/s relative to the ground. The homework equations being used involve the definition of angular motion (L = I * omega) and the moment of inertia (I = mr^2). The problem asks to find the resulting angular speed, but the student is having trouble finding the initial angular momentum (L) using the given numbers. A hint is given
rms830

Homework Statement

A flat uniform circular disk (radius = 2.50 m, mass = 1.00 102 kg) is initially stationary. The disk is free to rotate in the horizontal plane about a frictionless axis perpendicular to the center of the disk. A 55.0 kg person, standing 1.55 m from the axis, begins to run on the disk in a circular path and has a tangential speed of 2.20 m/s relative to the ground.

Homework Equations

I have been using the definition of angular motion equation (L = I*omega)(I = mr^2) to try and find the resulting angular speed. What I am having trouble with is how to find L using the given numbers. I thought i read that L = r2, but putting those numbers into the equation has not given me the correct answer. The problem asks me to find the resulting angular speed, but since I have not been able to find L or omega, I haven't been able to solve.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Angular momentum is conserved. What's the initial angular momentum of the system before the person begins running?

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question. It seems like you are on the right track with using the definition of angular momentum (L = I*omega) and the moment of inertia equation (I = mr^2) to solve this problem. However, it is important to note that the value of L is not equal to r^2, but rather it is the product of the moment of inertia and the angular velocity (L = I*omega).

In order to solve for the resulting angular speed, we need to first calculate the moment of inertia of the disk. Using the given radius and mass, we can plug those values into the moment of inertia equation (I = mr^2) to get a value of 1.00*10^5 kg*m^2.

Next, we need to calculate the angular momentum of the person running on the disk. We can do this by multiplying the person's mass (55.0 kg) by their tangential speed (2.20 m/s) and the distance from the axis (1.55 m). This gives us a value of 170.5 kg*m^2/s.

Now, we can set these two values equal to each other (L = I*omega) and solve for omega (angular speed). This will give us an angular speed of approximately 0.0017 rad/s.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying the angular velocity (rate of rotation) by the moment of inertia (resistance to change in rotational motion) of the object.

2. How is angular momentum related to circular disks?

Circular disks have a moment of inertia that is dependent on their mass and radius. The angular momentum of a circular disk is directly proportional to its moment of inertia and angular velocity.

3. How is angular momentum conserved in circular motion?

In circular motion, the angular momentum is conserved if there are no external torques acting on the object. This means that the angular momentum remains constant throughout the motion, even as the object's speed and direction may change.

4. What is the formula for calculating the angular momentum of a circular disk?

The formula for calculating the angular momentum of a circular disk is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

5. How does the angular momentum of a circular disk change with an increase in radius?

The moment of inertia of a circular disk is directly proportional to its radius squared. This means that an increase in the radius of a circular disk will result in an increase in its moment of inertia, and therefore an increase in its angular momentum if the angular velocity remains constant.