Angular momentum of Dirac particle

In summary: This is a fundamental relation in physics. It tells us that if we do a coordinate transformation and replace some function by its derivative, the change in the function's behavior is always proportional to the derivative of the function at the new coordinates.In summary, Sakurai discusses the covariance of the Dirac equation and gives an example to show the significance of the operator S. Then, using equation 1, he shows that what he claimed is not true.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm reading Sakurai's "Advanced Quantum Mechanics" (which is different from his "Modern Quantum Mechanics"). In chapter 3, which is about the Relativistic Quantum Mechanics of spin 1/2 particles, after discussing the covariance of the Dirac equation, he goes on to give some examples to clarify the significance of the operator S (as in ## \psi'(x')=S \psi(x) ##). In the first example, he considers an infinitesimal rotation around the z-axis and so he considers the transformation:

## \psi'(x')= \left[ 1+i\Sigma_3 \frac{\delta \omega}{2} \right] \psi(x) \ \ \ \ (1)##

where ## \vec{x}'=\vec x+\delta \vec{x} ## and ## \delta \vec x=(x_2 \delta \omega,-x_1 \delta \omega,0)##.

He then notes that:
## \psi'(x')=\psi'(x)+\delta x_1 \frac{\partial \psi'}{\partial x_1}+\delta x_2 \frac{\partial \psi'}{\partial x_2} \ \ \ \ (2)##

Then from all the above, he concludes that:

## \psi'(x)=\left[ 1+ i \Sigma_3 \frac{\delta \omega}{2}-\left(x_2 \delta \omega \frac{\partial}{\partial x_1}-x_1 \delta \omega \frac{\partial}{\partial x_2} \right) \right] \psi(x) \ \ \ \ (3)##

It seems he rearranged equation 2 and then used equation 1 to substitute for ## \psi'(x') ##. But there still remain the derivative terms which are derivatives of ## \psi'(x) ## which should somehow be related to the derivatives of ## \psi(x) ##. But he seems to just assumes that ## \frac{\partial \psi'(x)}{\partial x_i}=\frac{\partial \psi(x)}{\partial x_i }## which doesn't seem justified at all! In fact using equation 1, you can easily show how far this is from truth! Am I missing something here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You only take contributions up to order ##\mathcal{O}(\delta \omega)##. So there's no mixing of derivatives with the spin matrix ##\Sigma_3##.

Likes ShayanJ
Sakurai uses the unfortunate x_4 = ict, the only flaw of this book. If you are into well-written but old books, you've got from the 60s either the monograph by S. Schweber, or the two books by Bjorken and Drell.

Likes vanhees71
dextercioby said:
Sakurai uses the unfortunate x_4 = ict, the only flaw of this book. If you are into well-written but old books, you've got from the 60s either the monograph by S. Schweber, or the two books by Bjorken and Drell.
Yeah...I like Sakurai's too, but x=ict really hurts sometimes!
I just wish my first QFT course were with someone else so I didn't have to meet this book in this situation! I'm starting to feel I have a very bad luck regarding the professors I have to take my courses with!
And I appreciate any well-written book because I like to search for insights that are present only in a few books.

Yes, unfortunately Japanese books are marred by this annoying issue, but most of them are still good. I particularly like Umezawa's QFT book, North Holland, 1956. It has nice sections on general relativistic equations.

Likes ShayanJ
Shyan said:
I'm reading Sakurai's "Advanced Quantum Mechanics" (which is different from his "Modern Quantum Mechanics"). In chapter 3, which is about the Relativistic Quantum Mechanics of spin 1/2 particles, after discussing the covariance of the Dirac equation, he goes on to give some examples to clarify the significance of the operator S (as in ## \psi'(x')=S \psi(x) ##). In the first example, he considers an infinitesimal rotation around the z-axis and so he considers the transformation:

## \psi'(x')= \left[ 1+i\Sigma_3 \frac{\delta \omega}{2} \right] \psi(x) \ \ \ \ (1)##

where ## \vec{x}'=\vec x+\delta \vec{x} ## and ## \delta \vec x=(x_2 \delta \omega,-x_1 \delta \omega,0)##.

He then notes that:
## \psi'(x')=\psi'(x)+\delta x_1 \frac{\partial \psi'}{\partial x_1}+\delta x_2 \frac{\partial \psi'}{\partial x_2} \ \ \ \ (2)##

Then from all the above, he concludes that:

## \psi'(x)=\left[ 1+ i \Sigma_3 \frac{\delta \omega}{2}-\left(x_2 \delta \omega \frac{\partial}{\partial x_1}-x_1 \delta \omega \frac{\partial}{\partial x_2} \right) \right] \psi(x) \ \ \ \ (3)##

It seems he rearranged equation 2 and then used equation 1 to substitute for ## \psi'(x') ##. But there still remain the derivative terms which are derivatives of ## \psi'(x) ## which should somehow be related to the derivatives of ## \psi(x) ##. But he seems to just assumes that ## \frac{\partial \psi'(x)}{\partial x_i}=\frac{\partial \psi(x)}{\partial x_i }## which doesn't seem justified at all! In fact using equation 1, you can easily show how far this is from truth! Am I missing something here?

Thanks

It is extremely important to know about the calculus of infinitesimals. When you do infinitesimal coordinate transformation [tex]\bar{x} = x + \epsilon \delta x ,[/tex]
where [itex]\epsilon \ll 1[/itex] is the infinitesimal parameter, and [itex]\delta x[/itex] is some arbitrary function of x, the word infinitesimal means you can always put [itex]\epsilon^{2} = 0[/itex]. This leads to many useful relations. The first and most important one is the chain rule operator:
[tex]\epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \epsilon \frac{\partial \bar{x}}{\partial x} \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{x}} = \epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial x}(x + \epsilon \delta x) \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{x}}.[/tex]
Since [itex]\epsilon^{2} = 0[/itex], we get
[tex]\epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{x}} . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)[/tex]
Now, consider the following infinitesimal transformation of some object [itex]\varphi (x)[/itex]
[tex]\bar{\varphi}(\bar{x}) = \varphi (x) + \epsilon \Sigma \varphi (x) ,[/tex] which is Eq(1) in your post. Using (1), and [itex]\epsilon^{2} = 0[/itex], you find the following important relation (no coordinate expansion yet)
[tex]\epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{x}} \bar{\varphi}(\bar{x}) = \epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \varphi(x) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex]
Now, if we do the coordinate expansion
[tex]\bar{\varphi}(\bar{x}) = \bar{\varphi}( x + \epsilon \delta x ) = \bar{\varphi}(x) + \epsilon \delta x \ \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \bar{\varphi}(x) ,[/tex] substitute in (2) and use [itex]\epsilon^{2} = 0[/itex] again, we get
[tex]\epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial \bar{x}} \bar{\varphi}(x) = \epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \varphi(x) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex]
On the left hand side, if we use (1) again, we obtain the following very important relation (which justify Sakurai’s action in replacing [itex]\bar{\varphi}(x)[/itex] with [itex]\varphi (x)[/itex])
[tex]\epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \bar{\varphi}(x) = \epsilon \frac{\partial}{\partial x} \varphi(x) . \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (4)[/tex]
So, always remember to use the equations (1)-(4), when you deal infinitesimal transformations.

Likes Demystifier, CAF123, ShayanJ and 1 other person

1. What is the definition of angular momentum of a Dirac particle?

The angular momentum of a Dirac particle is a quantum mechanical property that describes the rotation and orbital motion of a particle around an axis. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction, and is conserved in a closed system.

2. How is the angular momentum of a Dirac particle calculated?

The angular momentum of a Dirac particle can be calculated using the formula L = r x p, where r is the position vector and p is the momentum vector. In quantum mechanics, the angular momentum operator is represented by the cross product of the position and momentum operators.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and spin in Dirac particles?

In Dirac particles, spin is a type of intrinsic angular momentum, meaning it is a fundamental property of the particle itself and not due to its motion. The total angular momentum of a Dirac particle is the sum of its orbital angular momentum and its spin angular momentum.

4. How does the angular momentum of a Dirac particle behave under rotations?

The angular momentum of a Dirac particle behaves differently under rotations compared to classical particles. In classical mechanics, angular momentum is continuous and can take on any value, while in quantum mechanics, it is quantized and can only take on certain discrete values.

5. What implications does the conservation of angular momentum have for Dirac particles?

The conservation of angular momentum in Dirac particles has important implications for the behavior of these particles. It means that the angular momentum of a Dirac particle cannot change unless an external torque is applied, and this leads to various phenomena such as precession and spin-orbit coupling.