How Do You Calculate Angular Momentum for a Swinging Bob?

In summary: This is because the thread is assumed to be massless, so all of the bob's mass can be considered to be concentrated at a single point. In summary, the problem involves calculating the angular momentum of a metallic bob suspended from the ceiling by a thread. Using equations for tension and angular momentum, the bob's mass, angle, and thread length, the student correctly solves for velocity. However, they must use the correct moment of inertia, which is the mass of the bob multiplied by the radius of its circular motion squared.
mburt3

Homework Statement

The problem asks to calculate the angular momentum for a metallic bob that is suspended from the ceiling by a thread of negligible mass. The angle between the thread and the vertical is 30degrees. It is also given that the mass of the bob is 7 kg and the length of the thread is 2.4m.

Homework Equations

I used the equations:mv^2/r=Tsin(theta)
mg=Tcos(theta)
L=Iw(omega)
I=2/5mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first rearranged mg=Tcos(theta) to solve for T=mg/cos(theta)
Next I substituted this into mv^2/r =Tsin(theta) and got mv^2/r=mgtan(theta)
I found r by using the length of the thread and the angle with the vertical:
sin30= r/2.4 r=1.2
Next I solved for v. v=2.6m/s.
My problem after this was applying it to the equation L=Iw
I knew that L=(2/5)mr^2w or L=2mrv/5 but I wasn't sure what to put for the radius since it was not given.

Am I even on the right track?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
mburt3 said:

Homework Statement

The problem asks to calculate the angular momentum for a metallic bob that is suspended from the ceiling by a thread of negligible mass. The angle between the thread and the vertical is 30degrees. It is also given that the mass of the bob is 7 kg and the length of the thread is 2.4m.

Homework Equations

I used the equations:mv^2/r=Tsin(theta)
mg=Tcos(theta)
L=Iw(omega)
I=2/5mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first rearranged mg=Tcos(theta) to solve for T=mg/cos(theta)
Next I substituted this into mv^2/r =Tsin(theta) and got mv^2/r=mgtan(theta)
I found r by using the length of the thread and the angle with the vertical:
sin30= r/2.4 r=1.2
Next I solved for v. v=2.6m/s.

These should be correct...

mburt3 said:
My problem after this was applying it to the equation L=Iw
I knew that L=(2/5)mr^2w or L=2mrv/5 but I wasn't sure what to put for the radius since it was not given.

L = I(omega) is correct, but you are using the wrong I. 2/5mr^2 is the moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis through its centre. However, the bob is not rotating about its centre, but rather about a vertical axis at the centre of its circular motion.

Hence I = mr^2, where r is the radius of its circular motion.

Thanks a lot! yea that makes sense. so i guess you can kind of think of it as the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?

Not really, we are treating the bob as having the moment of inertia of a single point particle rotating about an axis

What is the Angular Momentum Problem?

The Angular Momentum Problem is a concept in classical mechanics that arises when attempting to explain the behavior of rotating objects. It refers to the fact that, according to Newton's laws of motion, a rotating object should continue to spin indefinitely unless acted upon by an external force. However, this does not match with our observations of objects in the real world, which tend to slow down and eventually stop spinning.

What causes the Angular Momentum Problem?

The Angular Momentum Problem is caused by the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of rotating objects, there is no external torque acting on them, so they should continue to spin at a constant rate. However, in reality, there are various factors such as friction and air resistance that act as external torques and cause the object to slow down.

How is the Angular Momentum Problem solved?

The Angular Momentum Problem is solved by taking into account the external torques acting on the rotating object. For example, in the case of a spinning top, the friction between the top and the surface it is spinning on creates an external torque that causes the top to slow down and eventually stop spinning. By considering all the external torques acting on the object, we can accurately predict its behavior.

What are some real-life examples of the Angular Momentum Problem?

Some real-life examples of the Angular Momentum Problem include spinning tops, rotating bicycle wheels, and figure skaters performing spins. In all of these cases, the objects will eventually slow down and stop spinning due to external torques such as friction and air resistance.

Why is the Angular Momentum Problem important to understand?

The Angular Momentum Problem is important to understand because it helps us explain the behavior of rotating objects in the real world and make accurate predictions about their motion. It also helps us develop technologies such as gyroscopes, which rely on the conservation of angular momentum to function properly.