Angular properties of quadrilaterals

In summary, Gib Z says that if you know the lengths of the sides and the angles of a triangle, you can use the cosine and sine rules to find the length of the unknown side.
Defennder
Homework Helper
I'm trying to solve a physics problem concerning phasor additions, but unfortunately it seems I've forgotten most of my pre-calc maths, especially geometry.

Given a irregular quadrilateral with 3 of its sides of known length, and the values of 2 of its interior angles (specifically the angles formed at the junction where 2 of the 3 known sides meet), is there any way where I may determine the length of the unknown side? Or do I require more information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but only if your willing to grind through quite a lot of trig. Heres the basic gist of it:

|_/

Say that looks something like the 3 sides of the quadrilateral, you know the lengths of all the sides, and the angles |_ and _/ . Draw a line to to top of the line | to the mid point of _, and draw another line from the top of / to the middle of _ as well. Now we have 2 triangles, and in them we know the length of the original sides, plus angles in the right place. Using what you know, for each triangle, use the cosine rule ( [itex] a^2 = b^2+c^2 - 2bc \cos A[/itex] where A is the angle opposite side a) to find the lengths of the sides that you just drew.

Now, we know all the sides and 1 of the angles, for each of the triangles. use the sine rule ([itex] a/\sin A = b/ \sin B = c / \sin C[/itex]) to find the angle between the 2 lines that you drew. With the known information you the cosine rule again to find the length of the side opposite the angle you just worked out, and that's the unknown side.

Ahh, I see it now, thanks Gib!

No worries :)

Gib Z, you are brilliant. Have you taught Geometry?

Well I do tutor all mathematics to students my own age (for a very petty sum may i add), but that's about all my teaching experience. I don't even get minimum wage...

Related to Angular properties of quadrilaterals

1. What are the properties of a quadrilateral in terms of its angles?

A quadrilateral has four angles, and the sum of its angles is always equal to 360 degrees. The opposite angles of a quadrilateral are congruent, meaning they have the same measure. Additionally, the consecutive interior angles (angles inside the quadrilateral that are next to each other) are supplementary, meaning they add up to 180 degrees.

2. How do you determine if a quadrilateral is a parallelogram?

A quadrilateral is a parallelogram if it has two pairs of parallel sides. This means that the opposite sides are parallel and the opposite sides are congruent. Another way to identify a parallelogram is by its diagonals. If the diagonals bisect each other, then the quadrilateral is a parallelogram.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a quadrilateral?

The formula for finding the area of a quadrilateral depends on the type of quadrilateral. For a rectangle, the area is equal to the length multiplied by the width. For a square, the area is equal to the length of one side squared. For a parallelogram, the area is equal to the base multiplied by the height. For a trapezoid, the area is equal to one-half the sum of the bases multiplied by the height. For a rhombus, the area is equal to one-half the product of the diagonals.

4. How do you find the perimeter of a quadrilateral?

The perimeter of a quadrilateral is the sum of all its sides. To find the perimeter, you simply add up the lengths of all four sides. It is important to remember that the sides of a quadrilateral may not be equal, so you must measure each side separately and then add them together.

5. Are there any special types of quadrilaterals?

Yes, there are several special types of quadrilaterals including squares, rectangles, rhombuses, parallelograms, and trapezoids. These special types have specific properties that help to identify them, such as parallel sides, congruent angles, or perpendicular diagonals. Other examples of special quadrilaterals include kites, which have two pairs of adjacent sides that are equal in length, and isosceles trapezoids, which have two congruent sides and two congruent base angles.