Calculating Angular Speed and Acceleration in Open-Reel Tape Decks

• Thread starter texasgrl05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between angular speed and linear speed, as well as methods for calculating angular speed using parametric equations and the length of the arc. The correct formula for angular speed is v = \omega r, where \omega is the rate of change of theta with respect to time, and r is the distance from the axis. The conversation also clarifies that the derivative of the cosine rule is not the particle's velocity, and provides a correct formula for calculating the magnitude of the velocity.
texasgrl05
not sure how i get angular speed by knowing the linear speed??

On an open-reel tape deck, the tape is being pulled past the playback head at a constant linear speed of 0.337 m/s.
a) If the radius of the film taken up so far (as shown in the upper part of the drawing) is 0.0561 m, find the angular speed of the take-up reel.
(b) After 2.80 103 s, the take-up reel is almost full, as the lower part of the drawing indicates. The radius of film taken up so far is now 0.114 m. Find the average angular acceleration of the reel and specify whether the acceleration indicates an increasing or decreasing angular velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
texasgrl05 said:
not sure how i get angular speed by knowing the linear speed??
The linear speed of a point on a rotating object is given by: [itex]v = \omega r[/itex], where r is the distance from the axis.

May I ask a question about angular speed?
Isn't the angular speed the rate at which the angle theta which is formed by the line connecting the particle to the axis changes? Then I write the formula for displacement as follows using the Cosine rule:

[tex]\sqrt(2r^2-2cos\theta * r^2)[/tex]

where r is the radius of the circle it is moving on. Then I derive this to get the velocity whixh yields

[tex]f'(\theta)=\frac{r^2sin\theta}{f(\theta)}*\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is a differantiable function of time. But then I don't know what to do. Any help about this?

wisredz said:
May I ask a question about angular speed?
Isn't the angular speed the rate at which the angle theta which is formed by the line connecting the particle to the axis changes? Then I write the formula for displacement as follows using the Cosine rule:

where r is the radius of the circle it is moving on. Then I derive this to get the velocity whixh yields

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is a differantiable function of time. But then I don't know what to do. Any help about this?
you're correct about the angular speed (dθ/dt) ... which btw has units radians/second.

however, your cosine rule calculates the length of the triangle side opposite central angle θ (and connecting the 2 radii) between particle starting point (r, θ=0) and new position (r, θ). this is NOT the same as the distance along the circular arc on which the particle is moving.

because your formula involves the length of the triangle side between (r, θ=0) & (r, θ) and NOT the distance along the circular arc between (r, θ=0) & (r, θ), your derivative is NOT the particle's velocity.

this is the formula for particle velocity:

particle velocity = r*(dθ/dt) ... where vel in m/sec, r in m, and (dθ/dt) in radians/sec

your derivative is the rate of change of the triangle side ... which is not the particle velocity.

wisredz said:
Isn't the angular speed the rate at which the angle theta which is formed by the line connecting the particle to the axis changes?
Yes.
Then I write the formula for displacement as follows using the Cosine rule:

where r is the radius of the circle it is moving on.
This is the displacement as measured from some particular point on the circle, not the center. It varies from 0 to 2r. It does not describe circular motion. It's rate of change will not be the speed of the particle about the center, except at theta = 0.

Then I derive this to get the velocity whixh yields

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is a differantiable function of time.
If you evaluate your derivative at [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] you will find that it equals [itex]\omega r[/itex].

Instead of what you did, try this. Imagine the particle tracing a circle at constant angular speed. The particle's x and y components can be written as:
[itex]x = r \cos \theta[/itex]
[itex]y = r \sin \theta[/itex]
Now take the derivative of these to find the components of the particle's velocity:
[itex]v_x = - \omega r \sin \theta [/itex]
[itex]v_y = \omega r \cos \theta [/itex]
Now find the magnitude of the velocity:
[itex]v^2 = v_x^2 + v_y^2[/itex]
Thus verifying that:
[itex]v = \omega r[/itex]

I hope that helps.

Wow, I saw my mistake thanks a lot. Btw, using a parametric equation is really good. But if I think about the length of the arc I find the angular speed more easily. I think this one's right.

The circumference of the circle would be [itex]2\pi*r[/itex] and the length of the arc is [itex]\frac{2\pi*r*\theta}{2\pi}=r\theta[/itex] I derive this and get

[tex]v=r*\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it.

Even better. Excellent.

What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates, measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM). It is represented by the symbol ω (omega).

How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of the circular path.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular speed changes over time. It is represented by the symbol α (alpha) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

How is angular acceleration related to angular speed?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to angular speed. This means that as the angular speed increases, the angular acceleration also increases and vice versa.

What factors affect angular speed and acceleration?

The two main factors that affect angular speed and acceleration are the radius of the circular path and the linear speed of the object. The greater the radius or linear speed, the greater the angular speed and acceleration will be. The mass and shape of the object may also have an impact.