1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular Velocity and Angular Acceleration

1. Mar 4, 2009 #1
    I feel really dumb, as this should be incredibly easy to figure out, but I keep getting the wrong answers. I am including the book's data so I can figure out how this needs to be done and then plug in my own values.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Pilots can be tested for the stresses of flying high-speed jets in a whirling "human centrifuge," which takes 1.0 min to turn through 20 complete revolutions before reaching its final speed.

What is its angular acceleration (assumed constant) (in rev/min^2) and its angular velocity in rpm?

2. Relevant equations

Code (Text):

\theta (t) = \theta_0 +\omega_0t + \frac{1}{2}\alpha t^2  
    \omega (t) = \omega_0 + \alpha t.
    [\CODE]

[b]3. The attempt at a solution[/b]

I have tried finding the frequency and then multiplying it by 2\pi, but I don't get the right answer. The book's values are:
    Ang. Acc = 40 rev/min^2
    Ang. Vel = 40 rpm

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i think it might have something to do with your units

theta = (1/2).alpha.t^2

you want to find alpha in rev/min^2
    so input theta in revolutions and t in mins to get the correct alpha

4. Mar 4, 2009 #3
    I don't think I have a value for theta unless it is 2pi. Even then, that is in radians not revolutions per minute.

5. Mar 4, 2009 #4
    Thanks LowlyPion, my answer for angular acceleration is correct and the concept is much more clear now. I'll let you know if I get angular velocity figured out, which should be easy from here.

6. Mar 4, 2009 #5
    To find Angular velocity I multiply angular acceleration by time. Thanks for the help.

7. Mar 4, 2009 #6
    I forget how to mark this as solved, also, does anyone know how to use direct LaTeX typesetting here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook