Angular velocity and moment of inertia

In summary, Homework Equations state that the angular velocity is 8.75 rad/s and the moment of inertia is 12.9 kg*m2.
kikidoll
Could you let me know if my answers are correct?

Homework Statement

A light rope is wrapped several times around a large wheel with a radius of 0.400m. The wheel rotates in frictionless bearings about a stationary horizontal axis. The free end of the rope is tied to a suitcase with a mass of 0.15kg. The suitcase is released from rest at a height of 4.00m above the ground. The suitcase has a speed of 3.50 m/s when it reaches the ground.
Calculate:
A) the angular velocity of the wheel when it reaches the ground and
B) the moment of inertia of the wheel

Homework Equations

A) angular velocity (w) = speed/radius
B) mgh = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2Iw2

The Attempt at a Solution

After using these equations I found angular velocity to be 8.75 rad/s and the moment of inertia to be 12.9 kg*m2.

Correct or incorrect? Thanks for you help.

Physics news on Phys.org
kikidoll said:
Could you let me know if my answers are correct?

Homework Statement

A light rope is wrapped several times around a large wheel with a radius of 0.400m. The wheel rotates in frictionless bearings about a stationary horizontal axis. The free end of the rope is tied to a suitcase with a mass of 0.15kg. The suitcase is released from rest at a height of 4.00m above the ground. The suitcase has a speed of 3.50 m/s when it reaches the ground.
Calculate:
A) the angular velocity of the wheel when it reaches the ground and
B) the moment of inertia of the wheel

Homework Equations

A) angular velocity (w) = speed/radius
B) mgh = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2Iw2

The Attempt at a Solution

After using these equations I found angular velocity to be 8.75 rad/s and the moment of inertia to be 12.9 kg*m2.

Correct or incorrect? Thanks for you help.

With ω = v/r then 8.75 looks ok.

But your I looks a little large.

m*g*h is total energy to start with dividing by ω2 where ω2 looks a lot bigger than m*g*h doesn't look right.

Thanks for the reply. I also though I was rather large, but with my calculations that's what I ended up getting... strange.

kikidoll said:
Thanks for the reply. I also though I was rather large, but with my calculations that's what I ended up getting... strange.

I think you've done something wrong.

Maybe show your numbers and how you got there.

A) w = v/r = (3.50)/(0.400) = 8.75 rad/s

B) Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
Ki and Uf = 0

Ui = Kf
mgh = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2Iw2
(15)(9.8)(4) = 1/2 (15)(3.5)2 + 1/2 (I) (8.75)2
588 = 91.9 + 38.3(I)
496.1 = 38.3(I)
I = 12.9 kgm2

kikidoll said:
A) w = v/r = (3.50)/(0.400) = 8.75 rad/s

B) Ki + Ui = Kf + Uf
Ki and Uf = 0

Ui = Kf
mgh = 1/2 mv2 + 1/2Iw2
(15)(9.8)(4) = 1/2 (15)(3.5)2 + 1/2 (I) (8.75)2
588 = 91.9 + 38.3(I)
496.1 = 38.3(I)
I = 12.9 kgm2

Whoa. SI units please.

m = .15kg

Oh my gosh I can't believe I did that *facepalms*

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it

Related to Angular velocity and moment of inertia

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates about a specific axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity takes into account the distance from the axis of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

4. How is moment of inertia related to angular velocity?

The moment of inertia affects the angular velocity of an object by determining how much torque is needed to cause a change in its rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular velocity as objects with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. How do I calculate moment of inertia and angular velocity?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr^2, where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time, or by using the formula ω = v/r, where v is the linear velocity and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.