Angular Velocity and Position: How to Solve Basic Angular Motion Problems

In summary, you found a linear relationship between log(theta) and log(time) and used that to find θ.
Aristotle

Homework Statement

g.JPG

Homework Equations

ω=ω0+αt

θ=θ0+ω0t+12αt2 I think?

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, I know that from the graph, the angular velocity in this case would be constant since the graph illustrates a position in rad vs time graph. The thing is, I'm really sure on how to approach this problem. Could somebody hint me on how to work this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a, aren't we just subtracting the final angle and initial?

Aristotle said:
For a, aren't we just subtracting the final angle and initial?
Yep !

Your relevant equations are applicable for uniformly accelerated angular motion (##\alpha## constant). Here, we clearly have something else at hand, so you will have to fall back to the definitions
(##\omega = \dot \phi = {d\phi\over dt}## and (##\alpha = \dot \omega = {d\omega\over dt}## )
[edit] -- however, you don't need these for this exercise. Basically it's a math exercise :)

BvU said:
ω˙=dωdt\alpha = \dot \omega = {d\omega\over dt} )
BvU said:
Yep !

Your relevant equations are applicable for uniformly accelerated angular motion (##\alpha## constant). Here, we clearly have something else at hand, so you will have to fall back to the definitions
(##\omega = \dot \phi = {d\phi\over dt}## and (##\alpha = \dot \omega = {d\omega\over dt}## )
[edit] -- however, you don't need these for this exercise. Basically it's a math exercise :)
Ah I see. Oh and for angular displacement, do you typically consider them as vectors? Not sure if I should include the notation for thetha final - thetha initial...

Angles are scalars, not vectors. ##\theta## is in radians. It's a bit strange to put "Position in radians" on a graph (but understandable: angular displacement in radians is a mouthful).##\Delta \theta## already has some sense of direction. It comes close to being a vector.

and from that ##\omega## and ##\alpha## are pseudo vectors (also this link, and this).

Easier to follow when you know about cross products and polar coordinates. Is that familiar already ?

Likes Aristotle
BvU said:
Angles are scalars, not vectors. ##\theta## is in radians. It's a bit strange to put "Position in radians" on a graph (but understandable: angular displacement in radians is a mouthful).##\Delta \theta## already has some sense of direction. It comes close to being a vector.

and from that ##\omega## and ##\alpha## are pseudo vectors (also this link, and this).

Easier to follow when you know about cross products and polar coordinates. Is that familiar already ?
Yup! Just found about that, much thanks!
Last question was for Part B, do you think I'm on the right track in finding the exponential function of the log-log graph scale (e.g: slope of line of log-log: n= logx2-logx1/logt2-logt1 andetc) to find the equation of the angular position of the object?

For part b) you indeed make good use of the observation that the relationship between log(theta) and log(time) is linear. I understand what you mean, but to make it unambiguous, better use some brackets: n= (logx2-logx1)/(logt2-logt1) :)

For c) you use the expression and check with the plot. Don't answer in five digits: the accuracy allows two, max three.

BvU said:
For part b) you indeed make good use of the observation that the relationship between log(theta) and log(time) is linear. I understand what you mean, but to make it unambiguous, better use some brackets: n= (logx2-logx1)/(logt2-logt1) :)

For c) you use the expression and check with the plot. Don't answer in five digits: the accuracy allows two, max three.
That's the problem, I tried finding the equation for the log-log plot, however ended up getting Ꝋ(t)=(3 rad/s^2) t^2. Whenever I use some arbitrary point of time from the graph, I don't get a corresponding result that matches up with the y-axis (position in rad).

The way I solved this was n= log(200,000)-log(3) / (log 42)-log(11) = 2.972
Then knowing that the position function is parabolic in shape: x(t)=Ct^2. So we need to find proportionality constant we solve log x = log C + 3 log(t). So to make it log(x)=log(c), I use t=1s (because log1=0), and got log(3)=logC + 0 ==> C=3.

So once I found 3, i then get the answer Ꝋ(t)= (3)t^2...am I doing something wrong here?

knowing that the position function is parabolic in shape: x(t)=Ct^2.
is not right. That is only for constant angular acceleration, which is clearly not the case here.

You found a linear relationship ##\ln(\theta) - ln(3) = A \;( ln (t) - ln(1) )## with A = 2.972 as the slope of the line. So now they want you to rewrite ##\theta = ## ?

BvU said:
So now they want you to rewrite θ=\theta = ?

Oh okay, it works with
θ(t) = (3 rad/s^2) t^(2.972). In some sense correct now?

In a physics sense: excellent. And:
Easy to check: fill in a few t and look at the picture !

But (math,nitpicking, ...) : I would crank up the 2.972 a little bit. root cause: your 200000 looks to me already achieved at t = 40.

In part c) notice how small changes in the slope and the intercept give big changes in theta. That's what you get for using log-log plots...

BvU said:
In a physics sense: excellent. And:
Easy to check: fill in a few t and look at the picture !

But (math,nitpicking, ...) : I would crank up the 2.972 a little bit. root cause: your 200000 looks to me already achieved at t = 40.

In part c) notice how small changes in the slope and the intercept give big changes in theta. That's what you get for using log-log plots...
Yeah I rounded the 2.972 to 3.
For c) I just took the derivative of Θ(t) to get w(t)= 138 rad/s

Must be an empty battery in the calculator. ?:)
You can clearly see in the figure that ##\theta## increases a lot more every
second than that at t=23.
How did you calculate this 138 rad/s ?

BvU said:
Must be an empty battery in the calculator. ?:)
You can clearly see in the figure that ##\theta## increases a lot more every
second than that at t=23.
How did you calculate this 138 rad/s ?

Derivative of Θ(t) and got w(t)=6(t) and so for 23 seconds, got 138 rad/s

Derivative of which expression for ##\theta## ? The wrong one, or the one you found in b) ? what is the derivative (not the number, the expression) ?

BvU said:
Derivative of which expression for ##\theta## ? The wrong one, or the one you found in b) ? what is the derivative (not the number, the expression) ?
the one I found for b.

apologies what I meant was w(t)=9t^2 which I got from theta(t)=3t^3. :)

Correct now?

Yep :)
(around 4800 rad/s, I hope ?)

BvU said:
Yep :)
(around 4800 rad/s, I hope ?)
Yup what I got! I really appreciate your help bvu :D

Related to Angular Velocity and Position: How to Solve Basic Angular Motion Problems

1. What is angular motion?

Angular motion is the movement of an object around a central point or axis, typically in a circular or curved path. This type of motion is characterized by changes in an object's angular position and velocity over time.

2. How is angular motion different from linear motion?

Angular motion involves movement along a circular or curved path, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, angular motion is described in terms of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while linear motion is described in terms of displacement, velocity, and acceleration in a straight line.

3. What is the relationship between angular and linear motion?

Angular motion and linear motion are related through the concept of tangential velocity. As an object moves along a circular path, its tangential velocity is constantly changing, causing its linear velocity to also change. This relationship is described by the equation v = rω, where v is linear velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. What factors affect angular motion?

The main factors that affect angular motion are the radius of the circular path, the angular velocity, and the angular acceleration. Other factors that can also have an impact include the object's mass, its moment of inertia, and any external forces acting on it.

5. How is angular motion measured and calculated?

Angular motion is typically measured in radians, which is a unit of angular displacement. It can also be measured in degrees, but radians are preferred in scientific calculations. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s), and angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2). These measurements can be calculated using equations such as ω = Δθ/Δt for angular velocity and α = Δω/Δt for angular acceleration.