Angular velocity by time variable force

In summary, the homework equation states that the angular velocity of a disk is proportional to the time it takes for the radius to reach its maximum and then decrease. The attempt at a solution states that the angular velocity is equal to the distance that the radius has traveled multiplied by the integration constant.
Totally

Homework Statement

Force represented by F(t)=20+t+5t^2 [N] acts upon the rim of a disk. How much time has to pass before the disk has angular velocity of 200 revs\sec? R and I are known.

Homework Equations

\begin{equation*}
\tau=I\alpha
\end{equation*}
\begin{equation*}
\tau=R \times F
\end{equation*}
\begin{equation*}
I=\frac{1}{2}mR^2
\end{equation*}

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{equation*}
\alpha=\frac{R}{I}F
\end{equation*}
\begin{equation*}
\omega=\frac{R}{I}\int_{0}^{t} F(t)dt
\end{equation*}
I have same variable in my upper integration limit as in the function. So I'm thinking of integrating F(t) twice to get the distance and instead of writing it as θ, write it as ωt so it looks like the following
\begin{equation*}
\omega t=\frac{R}{I}∫∫F(t)dt
\end{equation*}
Then divide by t and solve the cubic. Does that seem like a legitimate move?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems legitimate for getting ω, but expressing θ as ωt is not correct. However, if θ were put in place of ωt on the left side of your final equation, the equation would be correct. However, the problem is not asking for θ. It is just asking for the time t at which ω reaches a certain value. This can be determined exclusively with your first equation for ω.

Chet

Likes Totally
Oh wow, I can just integrate F(t) as indefinite integral, can't I? I don't need the 0 and t limits because the integration constant I'll be getting will mean initial velocity, which is zero in this case.

Also, why is it wrong mathematically to sub θ for ωt? Is it because I'm supposed to be integrating t on the right side?

Totally said:
Oh wow, I can just integrate F(t) as indefinite integral, can't I? I don't need the 0 and t limits because the integration constant I'll be getting will mean initial velocity, which is zero in this case.
I would write the equation as
$$\omega=\frac{R}{I}\int_{0}^{t} F(t')dt'$$
where t' is a dummy variable of integration. This is actually a definite integral that gives you the value of ω at t'=t.
Also, why is it wrong mathematically to sub θ for ωt? Is it because I'm supposed to be integrating t on the right side?
θ is not equal to ωt unless ω is constant. Otherwise, ##θ=\int_0^t{ω(t')dt'}##, assuming that θ=0 at t = 0.

Chet

1. What is angular velocity by time variable force?

Angular velocity by time variable force is a measure of how fast an object's angular position changes over time when a varying force is applied. It is commonly used in rotational motion, such as the movement of a spinning top or a planet around its orbit.

2. How is angular velocity by time variable force calculated?

Angular velocity by time variable force can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. This can be expressed as ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular position, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for angular velocity by time variable force?

The unit for angular velocity by time variable force is radians per second (rad/s). This unit is derived from the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where Δθ is measured in radians and Δt is measured in seconds.

4. How does the magnitude of a time variable force affect angular velocity?

The magnitude of a time variable force can directly affect the angular velocity of an object. A larger force will result in a larger change in angular position over time, leading to a higher angular velocity. Similarly, a smaller force will result in a smaller change in angular position and a lower angular velocity.

5. What is the relationship between angular velocity by time variable force and torque?

Angular velocity by time variable force is closely related to torque, as torque is the measure of the rotational force applied to an object. In fact, the formula for torque (T = rFsinθ) includes the force (F) and the distance from the axis of rotation (r), both of which can affect the angular velocity of an object.